Premed 101 Forums

RN to MD?

Belle_MD

Hey guys,

Any nurses out there want to go to med school or have been accepted to med school already? I'd love any advice and/tips for success! Im an RN with 2University degrees...I have applied to med school once but was rejected, likely for poor MCAT scores. I also have no hard science courses...

Any tips or advice appreciated!!!!

hey Belle, there you are!

wondered if you did apply to NOSM, i guess by this post maybe not. i think you would have a good chance for interview with the stats u posted before. never know till u try right? i did get an interview, now waiting till May 15...if i don't get in this year i will have more experience to draw on for another application.

good luck

• 1 month later...

Hey!! Did you hear back yet??

I did apply two years ago to Mac and NOSM but got rejected right away...Im definitely trying again this year! Got my first year of NSG experience under my belt and feel more prepared this time around. I do want to re-write the MCAT though to boost my verbal score for Mac..sigh...

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Hey I did the two undergrad degrees as well! I applied to the US Medical Schools this year as well as Canadian. I say applied to about 10 USA med schools give or take got two interviews but only went to the first one because got an acceptance to it back in November. In the mean time I also applied to McGill, Ottawa, Mac, Western, and Toronto and interviewed at Mac, Western, and Toronto and now am just waiting for May 15th to hear the results ... so there is definitely hope don't give up if that's your goal!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has insight on which med schools in Ontario will include the GPA of a second undergraduate degree, specifically the compressed nursing program at U of T.

If there is anyone who has applied using their GPA from U of T's BScN I'd love to hear about your research before I start calling all the admission offices!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey JDR! I assume it depends on the school? Some take your most recent years right? I know I included marks from both programs to the OMSAS GPA... I'm only applying to Mac and NOSM this time around so I'm not 100% sure on that one. Never hurts to ask! If you find out definitely let me know!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, I have been an RN since 2005 and was accepted into UBC SMP this year. My volunteer experiences were very minimal so I feel my employment experiences as a nurse definitely helped my application.

This post has given me hope! I always wanted to get into medicine but was rejected the first time around. Decided to go into nursing as a back up plan....I'm just completing my BSCN and will be an RN in December. It feels a little scary starting my career knowing that I might always want to be a doctor instead! I hope my next attempt at the med school app process goes better than the first attempt! Do you think work experience is just as good as volunteer experience? I don't have a lot of volunteer work under my belt either.

• 1 month later...
Guest andrea55

Hi!

I will be graduating with my BscN from U Ottawa this coming year (2013). I will be applying to Medical School next cycle for 2014 start. I will work the year in between- to take advantage of the new grad initiative as well as give myself time to do some hard science electives (ugh). I also plan to write the MCAT next summer, so hopefully along with my fourth year of nursing I can fit in some good science studying throughout the year.

How did some of you Rn's deal with the course load requirements at some of the medical schools? Because so many of my 3rd and 4th year classes are pass/fail, many schools seem to only consider my first and second year as full time (which hurts my gpa as my grades improved as the years went on).

Also, did any of you find that nursing gave you an extra edge on the application?

It was in the beginning of my third year that I realized medicine opposed to nursing was going to be for me. Now I am intent on getting myself in, but also worried that I wont be as competitive as other applicants.

I am a little nervous going into my final year of nursing knowing that I want to be a physician, but I am hoping I can keep an open mind as use this year as a good learning experience.

Any advice anyone has would be great !

:)

Good luck to all applying this cycle :)

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Im a 4th year RN student in BC and have realized that what I really want is to become a physician. Ive applied to NOSOM but am not holding my breath. I have a GPA of 3.7 and lots of volunteer work, but because we have so many pass/fail classes it looks like I'll have to do 2 years full time studies after grad to be eligable for schools other than NOSOM and Mac. Any of you have insight into ways to go from an RN to MD? Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hello!

I wasn't sure whether or not to create a new thread for RN to MD so I figured I might as well post here. I'm going into nursing program at Kwantlen Poly Uni in BC and I was thinking of UBC med as a possible path after my nursing degree. The problem, like most other nursing programs in BC have, is that there's already a designated courseload for nursing students. Is it possible to take pre-reqs during my nursing degree? So far I keep hearing how difficult the nursing courses are and I'm not sure if I should risk taking pre-reqs along with my courseload.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey JDR! I assume it depends on the school? Some take your most recent years right? I know I included marks from both programs to the OMSAS GPA... I'm only applying to Mac and NOSM this time around so I'm not 100% sure on that one. Never hurts to ask! If you find out definitely let me know!

Hello!

I wasn't sure whether or not to create a new thread for RN to MD so I figured I might as well post here. I'm going into nursing program at Kwantlen Poly Uni in BC and I was thinking of UBC med as a possible path after my nursing degree. The problem, like most other nursing programs in BC have, is that there's already a designated courseload for nursing students. Is it possible to take pre-reqs during my nursing degree? So far I keep hearing how difficult the nursing courses are and I'm not sure if I should risk taking pre-reqs along with my courseload.

Thanks!

Very unlikely. There are almost two full years worth of prerequisites. You will have to do an additional year at the very least.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Any nurses out there want to go to med school or have been accepted to med school already? I'd love any advice and/tips for success! Im an RN with 2University degrees...I have applied to med school once but was rejected, likely for poor MCAT scores. I also have no hard science courses...

Any tips or advice appreciated!!!!

I'm also an RN with 2 degrees and no sciences (except A&P of course). The MCAT is full of hard sciences, and I think a prep course is the way to go. My science background is actually so weak, I'm going to be taking the prep course twice because I couldn't really keep up the first time (thank god for their free repeat policy). I also did quite a bit of self study. I think after doing that for 8 months, I think I have enough of a handle on the material to start seriously getting the details down and really start making some headway with this exam. I didn't want to take the prereqs at university because they may have a negative effect on my GPA. Keep studying for the MCAT and getting better with your sciences. Just keep at it and you will do well!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you guys familiar with how nursing gpa translates into medschool applications? Especially for the compressed time frame nursing programs that are 2 years. What happens if you have too many pass/fail courses? How do they processed, and how many pass/fail courses is too many?

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know or have an opinion on whether or not collaborative programs would be considered sufficient for applying to medical school? I know they are University all the way through, but I know that for York collaborative, marks from year 1 and 2 are transferred as Pass/Fail only and the only way to get the marks is to get a transcript from the college, which would be necessary for calculating GPA. Any experience with this/opinions on this?

I'm trying to decide on which nursing school to enter in the Fall. The collaborative program is close to home, or I could go to a program like McMaster or Queen's.

Are you guys familiar with how nursing gpa translates into medschool applications? Especially for the compressed time frame nursing programs that are 2 years. What happens if you have too many pass/fail courses? How do they processed, and how many pass/fail courses is too many?

This kind of varies for each school. Some, like Ottawa, you may not be able to apply to if you have too many pass/fail courses (I think you are only allowed one per semester out of your full course load). And for almost every school you are not going to get any sort of 'adjusted' or 'weighted' gpa. It will be a cumulative gpa since most of our pass/fail courses disqualify us for weighting.. I don't know what this looks like if you have more than one degree though, since I only have the one BScN myself... I think for most schools you are going to need 90 credits with grades? Unfortunately I think you are going to have to read each schools policy one by one and figure out which one you qualify for.. and do this every year since policies tend to change.

Hoped that helped a little.... Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if those who have applied to nursing but wanted to go into medicine could comment on what it is like to be a nurse with this mindset. I also applied to medical school this year and didn't get an interview at UBC. I was very close and it was my first time applying. I am now trying to decide whether to apply to nursing for a 2015 start at UBC and U of T as I am about to turn 29. I would apply to the accelerated programs. I also have a master's degree. I have been accepted to medical school abroad but deferred for a year as I have heard how hard it is to come back when you study abroad in terms of getting residencies. Not sure if I want to take that chance right now.

Ultimately I don't necessarily mind what I do as long as I feel happy, challenged and feel like I am doing good work and helping people in a healthcare setting. But I am worried because I was so set on medicine that I wouldn't enjoy nursing, or perhaps I would love it! I guess you never know until you are in a program. I know there are a lot of things you can do as a nurse and different higher level positions you can get into with your master's degree.

For those that have done this, route did you enjoy nursing school? Why did you still want to apply to medicine after? What are the pros and cons of doing this route? Just trying to get some advice on this from others who have been in the same boat. 

Thanks so much!

Also for those who applied to nursing, do you have any info on good online anatomy/physiology courses to take? 

I initially wanted to pursue medicine but I didn't want to take the generic sciene route, instead I wanted something more practical and hands-on that would also be portable. The more I worked in acute nursing specialities, the more I became content with it as a career path and ultimately I decided to just stay with it. Do I regret not pursuing medicine? Initially, but I'm glad I have my sanity now that I'm out of the medschool ratrace. I have a job that is rewarding, challenging and the reimbursement is relatively good. 

You should also know that nursing is suppose to undergo a huge paradigm shift where RNs supervise and coordinate care while LPNs and aides do most of the bedside work. 

• 3 weeks later...

You should also know that nursing is suppose to undergo a huge paradigm shift where RNs supervise and coordinate care while LPNs and aides do most of the bedside work. 

What does this mean in practice? You can only have so many charge nurses or "patient care coordinators". 

• 1 year later...

Archived