Premed 101 Forums

Canadians at US Medical Schools Matching Back to Canada

Hey All,

With the CaRMS match recently completed, did any Canadians graduating with a US MD this year happen to match back to Canada? If not, does anyone know any other Canadians that studied in the US and matched back to Canada this year or recently?

It seems like on premed101 some Canadians have been able to quite easily match into CaRMS, with rumours being that general specialities (Family, IM, Peds) are easier to match into for the most part.

I for one, being a Canadian MS3 at Wayne, like having the option of being able to take part in the 1st iteration of CaRMS. I know others at my school who feel the same way as me. Obviously matching back to Canada is an option, and so is doing the US match and obtaining your H1b or J1. I think this thread could be a great resource for perhaps the many like-minded Canadians studying in the US.

It would be interesting to know, or keep tabs on, any Canadians studying in the US that have matched (or are thinking about matching) in Canada.

Thanks for any information you can share!

There are many that do every year! I don't have the 2012 numbers but below you can see the 2011 results:

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/1_Summary%20of%20Match%20Results%20R1%201st_2nd%20Combined_en.pdf

Now the important thing to remember is Canadian grads of US schools can participate in both matches. However, the Canadian match is first and if you are picked in Canada, then you are automatically withdrawn from the US match. If you look at the results from 2011, 22 of 35 matched, 13 did not.

Why did the 13 go unmatched?

1. Perhaps some were aiming for a very competitive specialty and only ranked that specialty because they preferred to try to get into a US program rather than having a back up in Canada.

2. As a Canadian grad of a US school, you have a bit less opportunity to network with program directors in Canada (unless you do electives there)... so this puts you in a little bit of a disadvantage.

Overall though, you can match in the first round and many do every year. The chances of matching though depend on how competitive the specialty you are applying to is and how widely you apply.

There are many that do every year! I don't have the 2012 numbers but below you can see the 2011 results:

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/1_Summary%20of%20Match%20Results%20R1%201st_2nd%20Combined_en.pdf

Now the important thing to remember is Canadian grads of US schools can participate in both matches. However, the Canadian match is first and if you are picked in Canada, then you are automatically withdrawn from the US match. If you look at the results from 2011, 22 of 35 matched, 13 did not.

1. Perhaps some were aiming for a very competitive specialty and only ranked that specialty because they preferred to try to get into a US program rather than having a back up in Canada.

2. As a Canadian grad of a US school, you have a bit less opportunity to network with program directors in Canada (unless you do electives there)... so this puts you in a little bit of a disadvantage.

Overall though, you can match in the first round and many do every year. The chances of matching though depend on how competitive the specialty you are applying to is and how widely you apply.

Excellent, thanks. The CaRMS statistics are interesting, and I had checked them out before, but now it makes a little more sense as to why some Canadians still go unmatched.

From premed101 and friends at school, it seems like FM is easily matched into if you do opt to get a US MD. I'm hoping that people trying to gun for more competitive specialities are also matching. We are after-all Canadian citizens graduating from accredited schools and should (ideally) be treated equally to CMGs - though we all know this likely isn't the case. From previous posts it looks like one Canadian studying in the US had a couple interviews for Anaesthesiology, but he ended up matching to FM because he changed his program selection. Interviewing and matching are sort of different worlds anyway.

So it seems like if you want the best chance of matching to your speciality in Canada with a US MD you should: do away rotations in Canada with programs you are interested in, have solid clerkship scores in third-year, try to do research with Canadian doctors (if possible), and I guess, just be a well-rounded student with some CV padding (without saying!). May sound like common sense, but I guess reiterating it doesn't hurt.

Also try to do well on Step I, we all know how important that test is to matching in the US. Keep all your options open folks. :D

I'm hoping more Canadians that studied in the US and matched into CaRMS share their experiences with us!

That sounds like an awesome opportunity to aim high in Canada but be able to fall back in the states if it fails! Am I missing something or is it that great?

Go see the NRMP match lists for the individual schools.

WashU (1)- Internal Med/ McGill

Dartmouth (1)- Internal Med/ Toronto

Personal friend: 2 years back, Dartmouth MD, matched to Ortho at Toronto

:)

Moral of the story: if you are good enough to go to a top school, residency isn't a problem.

Hey been looking for the source, could you link to it?

Archived