Premed 101 Forums

Do you tell people about your dream?

I an a non-traditional applicant. I've been telling some people about my goal - mostly because I kept being asked why I wasn't applying for master programs etc. For the most part, it has been helpful to be open about it. Lots of people have been supportive, but I have also received some hurtful remarks. For example, I don't have a strong science background. I didn't even take chemistry in Grade 11 or 12, so I am currently taking high school chem in the evenings after work so that I can take university chem down the road if I need to. Anyways, today I told my boss that I wasn't going to a retirement party for a co-worker on Friday night, because I had to study for my chem test this Saturday. I felt like my boss totally put me down: "What you are only taking high school chem, right??! What are you like... 15 or what?! It can't that hard! I did really well in university chem".

I try not to let comments like this get to me... I think it speaks more to their own insecurity, than mine...

I didn't tell my parents at all. Nothing. Not even that I wrote the MCAT. I couldn't handle their pressure/constant nagging that would ensue if I did tell them. When I got in, it was the biggest shock in the entire world for them :P

It was hard for me to tell people about my dream when I was in grad school as I felt EVERY grad student in my program was also applying to medical school / wanting to apply. It was exhausting to talk about it to others / have everyone else watching and monitoring your progress. I was the only one in my program to actually get an interview though (and then get in) :P Some ended up going to the Caribbean after their MSc/PhD... :S

I also don't like talking about something until it's firm and set. I only really started talking about it when I got two interviews as it was more "real" + I was missing a lot of work so people asked.

I wish I didn't tell like lost-in-space...

It would be a nice surprise for my parents save them little griefs and small heart attacks when they see mails from Queen's

I should have looked for career with good prospective,,such as going into nutrition and become dietician and then applied to medical school..

Anyone have a good advice on getting a job? I don't know why at the peak of my youth I'm not hearing anything....Can't be a research assistant in lab I did Msc in (as most people do) because my lab moved~

oh my god !!! you got in lost in space? That's amazing!!!

how happy you must be!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! oh man you can't believe...........I cried my eyes out. I've been posting on here since 2nd year undergrad!! :P heehee so many years!!

As for getting a job, look at your local hospitals. A lot of the graduates of my grad program got great jobs at hospitals as research coordinators or research assistants or clinical trials coordinators. Even maybe ask to volunteer in a lab at the hospital....I volunteered with my lab before getting hired!

I didn't tell my parents at all. Nothing. Not even that I wrote the MCAT. I couldn't handle their pressure/constant nagging that would ensue if I did tell them. When I got in, it was the biggest shock in the entire world for them :P

... ... ...

I only really started talking about it when I got two interviews as it was more "real" + I was missing a lot of work so people asked.

I also have not told my parents for the same reason. Regardless, my mother asks me about med school every time I go home to visit (I live 3 hours away). I politely dismiss her inquiries and reply that I'm happy with my current job/prospects. Like lost_in_space it would be endless pressure and hassling to no end if i share even the slightest interest. Therefore, I share nothing.

Also, when I had to take time off work for an interview, I couldn't lie. I work shift work and happened to be scheduled for interview weekend. When my boss inquired I simply said we're going to "PICK A CITY" for the weekend and that's it. No lie, but not the full truth. :)

In short those that know I have applied are my partner, and two friends and their spouses whom went through the process and were successful themselves. That's it. Not my bestest friend in the whole wide world, not my brothers, not my family. No one. Not til I get an offer of admission...and if I don't? Going through the process will die with me. I don't seek pity from others.

I also have not told my parents for the same reason. Regardless, my mother asks me about med school every time I go home to visit (I live 3 hours away). I politely dismiss her inquiries and reply that I'm happy with my current job/prospects. Like lost_in_space it would be endless pressure and hassling to no end if i share even the slightest interest. Therefore, I share nothing.

My mom hassled me every chance she got to ask about medical school (not knowing I was actually applying) and I responded exactly the same as you :P

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is extremely supportive and has been the one encouraging me to go back to school. A few of my friends who know my strengths managed to figure out my plan based on the fact that I was not upset that I didn't get into nursing, and they are cheering me on. My mother knows, because she's been telling me since childhood that I am well-suited for medicine. Besides them, few know, just because I don't want it known if I am unsuccessful getting in my first few times.

However, when - not if, but when - I get into med school, I plan to host a very large celebration. Just getting accepted will be an honour for me.

I told everyone haha. Some were good about it some just tried to sabotage my dream. So be care who you tell. If I could do it all over again i woulda kept it a secret probably. However in retrospect, by telling these people it actually motivates me more to achieve my goals in life. It's a double edge sword.

The only people that know are my parents and my closest friends whom I trust very much. Regardless, one day, a colleague of mine asked me, 'How are your med school apps going?" Me: "Huh?..How did you know I was applying to med school?" :confused: I don't mind vaguely telling people if they ask (too much pressure!) but I try to veer away from the topic if they do :P Like the saying goes, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." ;)

The only people that know are my parents and my closest friends whom I trust very much. Regardless, one day, a colleague of mine asked me, 'How are your med school apps going?" Me: "Huh?..How did you know I was applying to med school?" :confused: I don't mind vaguely telling people if they ask (too much pressure!) but I try to veer away from the topic if they do :P Like the saying goes, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead." ;)

I seriously think that it's a problem to think like this. And I've noticed so many of you think the same way. It shows a lack of self confidence. I have people asking me all the time how my med school goals are going. Even when things go badly along the way I'm completely truthful with everyone and it feels amazing. If someone puts you down for your goal, why would you care? Obviously that's not someone who should influence your character anyway once you identify them.

You may think I'm over-analyzing but I'm not...One of the greatest regrets people have is an inability to express themselves throughout their life due to a fear of being judged by society and those around them. FORGET what people think, if you're becoming a doctor to please people then your making the wrong choice anyway. So be honest in life, win or lose and take your life where YOU want it confidently.

This comment wasn't directed solely at cass.

I seriously think that it's a problem to think like this. And I've noticed so many of you think the same way. It shows a lack of self confidence. I have people asking me all the time how my med school goals are going. Even when things go badly along the way I'm completely truthful with everyone and it feels amazing. If someone puts you down for your goal, why would you care? Obviously that's not someone who should influence your character anyway once you identify them.

You may think I'm over-analyzing but I'm not...One of the greatest regrets people have is an inability to express themselves throughout their life due to a fear of being judged by society and those around them. FORGET what people think, if you're becoming a doctor to please people then your making the wrong choice anyway. So be honest in life, win or lose and take your life where YOU want it confidently.

This comment wasn't directed solely at cass.

Agreed. This is also how I see it, and why I am honest with everyone.

Archived