Premed 101 Forums

Why not Ryerson??

Bird1

I have been browsing through this forum and came across very few(almost no) students who went to Ryerson and then got accepted into medical school. Whenever there is discussion about pre med undergraduate universities in Toronto, only U of T or York come up! So any particular reason for that? I would actually like to know someone who recently went to Ryerson and is now in a medical school.

Also I would appreciate any info about courses, exams, professors, classes, research etc etc at Ryerson.

Thanks in advance!

I have been browsing through this forum and came across very few(almost no) students who went to Ryerson and then got accepted into medical school. Whenever there is discussion about pre med undergraduate universities in Toronto, only U of T or York come up! So any particular reason for that? I would actually like to know someone who recently went to Ryerson and is now in a medical school.

Also I would appreciate any info about courses, exams, professors, classes, research etc etc at Ryerson.

Thanks in advance!

I can tell you that I have read posts from two people who did their course in Ryerson and got into medical school!

If I remember, it was one doing computer science in Ryerson and cant remember the other one.

Not alot of people get in from York, If you look at the facebook pages of the class year. But recently alot of students have been coming to York for their UG and that's why you hear alot about York nowadays. But usually it's UofT, Mac, and UWO that harbor the most about of med students according to stats and facebook pages.

I think the reason for lots coming from UofT, Mac, UWO, Queen's is that these schools have the best pre-med programs (life sciences). However, you certainly can get in from York and Ryerson, and people do every year.

also they have the medschools so they attract a large portion of premeds

well that's certainly not a surprise

LOL

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. But seriously look up the facebook pages of most entering classes. Usually York makes up less than 5% while UofT makes up 20%+. Mac and UWO also make up large fractions of med school classes.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. But seriously look up the facebook pages of most entering classes. Usually York makes up less than 5% while UofT makes up 20%+. Mac and UWO also make up large fractions of med school classes.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Lot of students from uwo and mac in particular. :s.

Yeah' date=' I noticed that too. Lot of students from uwo and mac in particular. :s.[/quote']

I'm not saying that they are bias against us, but it's quite weird when theres a trend going on for a while now. It could also be due to upper year York courses being killer deathtrap courses in biol lol, hence the low GPAs upper years.

I'm not saying that they are bias against us, but it's quite weird when theres a trend going on for a while now. It could also be due to upper year York courses being killer deathtrap courses in biol lol, hence the low GPAs upper years.

really? but isn't that mostly true for all other schools (profs expect much more from senior students)

if i could do it again, i wouldnt mind going to ryerson if my only goal was medicine.

one reason why i went to a bigger school was because i never thought about going into med, so i thought i'd have more opportunities for research

So how are the upper year courses at Ryerson like?

really? but isn't that mostly true for all other schools (profs expect much more from senior students)

Not necessarily. Upper year courses generally have higher class averages (~B+) at UofT. Although more is expected, most students have figured out their studying styles at this stage. Moreover, there is usually more flexibility in course selection in the upper years (more people take the courses they're actually interested in).

The first two years are kind of the 'weeding' and 'getting used to university' years.

if i could do it again, i wouldnt mind going to ryerson if my only goal was medicine.

one reason why i went to a bigger school was because i never thought about going into med, so i thought i'd have more opportunities for research

@ york, the averages for second year courses is usually a C+ and for the upper year courses, it stays a C+ lol... but this is for the faculty of science... the upper year courses in the faculty of health usually have a B or a B+ as the average

Archived