Premed 101 Forums

Citizenship and Ireland...

I have lived in Canada for most of my life. In the case that I attend an Irish Medical School, due to my EU citizenship, would I be on level playing field with the students who are Irish in regards to obtaining an internship, trainee spot, etc. in Ireland?

Yes you would. I am going to Ireland this fall and am in the process of obtaining an eu passport (non-Irish) due to my heritage as a back up for this reason.

What was your heritage? Grandfather clause?

Grandfather and grandmother on paternal side were displaced Polish-Jewish holocaust survivors. For Poland, citizenship is inherited paternally however under some circumstances it is lost (e.g. serving in foreign military.) I haven't had my citizenship confirmed yet but I am working with a law office that specializes in these types of cases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I think the general rule is that once you leave the country to study medicine anywhere but the states, you're considered an IMG regardless of whether you were born in Canada or not. I don't think there is preference given.

Mashemotoo or Leviathan can maybe clarify.

Terminology for what it's worth:

Graduate from any school outside of Canada+US who has Canadian citizenship= IMG.

Graduate from any school outside of Canada+US without citizenship = FMG.

The lines get blurred when you look at FMGs who immigrate and obtain Canadian citizenship.

No official preference given to any international medical school, but unofficially a preference for schools in commonwealth countries. Way more important than school is how good you are, and that's reflected in your letters + evals.

Terminology for what it's worth:

Graduate from any school outside of Canada+US who has Canadian citizenship= IMG.

Graduate from any school outside of Canada+US without citizenship = FMG.

The lines get blurred when you look at FMGs who immigrate and obtain Canadian citizenship.

No official preference given to any international medical school, but unofficially a preference for schools in commonwealth countries. Way more important than school is how good you are, and that's reflected in your letters + evals.

Yes - but the lines get really blurred if you're a Canadian and EU citizen (IMG), graduate from an EU school, then seek residency (internship) in an EU program.

In other words...

I don't think being a Canadian IMG in Ireland is the same as being a dual Canadian/EU IMG in Ireland when it comes to obtaining an internship position - that's what I'm trying to find out.

This is from the Atlantic Bridge application service website:

Residency in Ireland

Residency in Ireland and the EU is different from North America in that trainees need to apply for each successive stage of their post-graduate training. For example, a new graduate applies for an intern position, the next year for a Senior House Officer (SHO) position, the next year for a Registrar position, and so on.

As a rule in Ireland, first consideration for residency training and employment is offered to citizens of the European Union. For example, all Irish citizen medical students that graduate from an Irish school are guaranteed a residency post in Ireland after graduation. All the same, extra posts are often available. American and Canadian citizens are eligible to apply for these available residency positions.

I read this to mean that if you are an EU citizen then you are on a level playing field for all of your training after graduation.

• 1 month later...

Yes, if you are an EU citizen and a graduate of an EU medical school you cannot be differentiated from an Irish graduate for any future employment in the EU. Some countries put up some minor barriers but non-discrimination in employment is pretty strict in the UK and Ireland.

It's part of EU employment law (although there are some special conditions for some of the countries that have only recently joined the EU). In this regard think of the EU like the US or Canada and each country like a state or province.

Archived