Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Thread 2012

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to assume it's a rejection and proceed with the rest of my life. If good news happens to swing my way then I'll consider it a stroke of luck. Good luck to everyone!

I am right there with you Leon, this is pretty heart wrenching

I would have thought that the days people get off the waitlist should, for the majority, be on the same day. I understand that spots open up before and after, but I imagine that those are few in number. I find it peculiar that it seems so scheduled.

I hypothesize that McMaster accepts more people than they have spots for, otherwise the waitlist would probably move a lot sooner than May 29th as they say they notify people as soon as a spot open up. I know it's not that many, and it's implied that it's not that many from the email they sent, but does anyone have idea how much the waitlist moves before the "May 29th" date? Not much I know, but is that 1 person or is it like 20?

I don't mean to be greedy because I have an acceptance, but I'm hoping I get off the waitlist before May 29th because Mac (Hamilton) is my first choice.

I think I get why the dates are almost "scheduled"... I guess people that get off the waitlist have time to think about whether they want to accept or not. They may have multiple offers at that point.

Sorry, I'm new to this!

I would have thought that the days people get off the waitlist should, for the majority, be on the same day. I understand that spots open up before and after, but I imagine that those are few in number. I find it peculiar that it seems so scheduled.

I hypothesize that McMaster accepts more people than they have spots for, otherwise the waitlist would probably move a lot sooner than May 29th as they say they notify people as soon as a spot open up. I know it's not that many, and it's implied that it's not that many from the email they sent, but does anyone have idea how much the waitlist moves before the "May 29th" date? Not much I know, but is that 1 person or is it like 20?

I don't mean to be greedy because I have an acceptance, but I'm hoping I get off the waitlist before May 29th because Mac (Hamilton) is my first choice.

I don't think any offers from the waitlist will be sent at all until after the 29th. My guess is that while spots may be open already, they want to wait until the 29th which is when maximal movement occurs as everyone waiting with multiple offers accepts their other offers. This would allow them to have a concrete number of open spots and they can then mass e-mail the top X % of the waiting list.

I don't expect any waitlisted people at Mac to hear anything at all until the firm acceptance deadline has passed.

This thread is so quiet. How is everyone else on the waitlist feeling? Hopeful? Stressed?

I for one am feeling extremely depressed because I now have to make a lot of complicated back up plans which I had been putting off until yesterday. It's so tough to do all that, and although I'm super happy for everyone who did make it, I keep wishing I was part of that bunch too. The fact that I have no idea where on the waitlist I am, doesn't help at all. I guess there is nothing to do except pray really hard!

I was looking at the facebook group and there are like 50 people there already - that's a quarter of the class! Can a 2014er tell me how many of those people are 2014s or upper years and how many are new students? Just because if the class is filling up that fast, then that leaves little hope for waitlisters, which is very depressing.

I'm fluctuating between feeling super depressed to feeling optimistic..

I don't want to get my hopes up to get them crushed again.. I've been reading through last year's waitlist thread (btw Lupe you're my hero.. it was like a movie, reading through everything.. so glad you got in)

but yeah. how do i know if the waitlist is going to move very much this year.. and even if it does.. who's to say whether i'll be near the top of the list?

what's even more depressing is i thought i did pretty well on the mmi.. i guess not as well as i thought :(

I for one am feeling extremely depressed because I now have to make a lot of complicated back up plans which I had been putting off until yesterday. It's so tough to do all that, and although I'm super happy for everyone who did make it, I keep wishing I was part of that bunch too. The fact that I have no idea where on the waitlist I am, doesn't help at all. I guess there is nothing to do except pray really hard!

Same boat. I'm trying to convince myself it's over so I can seriously focus on the rest of the year. I just arranged a job for the summer and I'm going to be starting that next week. I'm just debating whether or not I should rewrite the MCAT.

I'm fluctuating between feeling super depressed to feeling optimistic..

I don't want to get my hopes up to get them crushed again.. I've been reading through last year's waitlist thread (btw Lupe you're my hero.. it was like a movie, reading through everything.. so glad you got in)

but yeah. how do i know if the waitlist is going to move very much this year.. and even if it does.. who's to say whether i'll be near the top of the list?

what's even more depressing is i thought i did pretty well on the mmi.. i guess not as well as i thought :(

+++++ to the bolded. The past waitlist threads have helped a lot! Lupe did keep saying in those threads that facebook is not a good indicator of the class size, but the size of that facebook group is scary to me, especially considering it's been only 1 day. :( Maybe the speculation was correct then that this year people are more likely to accept their mac offers because the applicant pools have diverged a bit due to casper etc.

Someone please give us numbers for how many of those 50 people in the group are non-2015s! It would really help.

+++++ to the bolded. The past waitlist threads have helped a lot! Lupe did keep saying in those threads that facebook is not a good indicator of the class size, but the size of that facebook group is scary to me, especially considering it's been only 1 day. :( Maybe the speculation was correct then that this year people are more likely to accept their mac offers because the applicant pools have diverged a bit due to casper etc.

Someone please give us numbers for how many of those 50 people in the group are non-2015s! It would really help.

I haven't been looking at those numbers, but instead the poll numbers for the poll I put up. I'm also praying too for movement and lots of it!

Same boat. I'm trying to convince myself it's over so I can seriously focus on the rest of the year. I just arranged a job for the summer and I'm going to be starting that next week. I'm just debating whether or not I should rewrite the MCAT.

:( Same! I'm still in depressed mode right now though and I think it will take a couple of weeks to recover and get some hope back. But yeah I'm wondering if I should sign up for the MCAT re-write now or wait until the 29th. I know I definitely have to re-write, but I'm tempted to wait a little longer, however I don't think it's a good idea, because seats fill up super fast. August is already full! Sigh, I wish it hadn't come to this.

I have been stalking through the other school sites and it seems like most of the ppl who have multiple acceptances are accepting UofT and Western over others but this is just speculation. or wishful thinking..?? gah. this limbo thing is hard.

what really scares me is mac overaccepting students. sigh.

:( Same! I'm still in depressed mode right now though and I think it will take a couple of weeks to recover and get some hope back. But yeah I'm wondering if I should sign up for the MCAT re-write now or wait until the 29th. I know I definitely have to re-write, but I'm tempted to wait a little longer, however I don't think it's a good idea, because seats fill up super fast. August is already full! Sigh, I wish it hadn't come to this.

I'm debating taking a special 5th year to get rid of the 3/5 rule hanging over my third year for Western... then at least SWOMEN would be advantageous, however, I don't know if they'll take me based on conditional for that year (since I'd be interviewing the same year I'm taking my 5th year)?

With Mac's reweighting and CASPER getting weighted less, I don't think I'd have a chance next year :(

Dreamsneverdie, you obviously chose your username for a reason, and this is about the time you stick to it. Being on the waiting list sucks - there's a chance we'll get in, but an even larger chance we won't. And you know what? That's fine. Because there's always next year. Incredibly cliche, I know, but probably so for a reason. An extra year of life experience can only make us stronger applicants, and being at the stage we are right now is already pretty damn good. In the grand scheme of things what does it matter if we enter med school right now or 3 years down the road (because persistence will pay off, I believe in that). The important thing is that we will be practicing medicine as cynical middle-aged doctors, whether we were the class of 2015 or 2020.

As for me, obviously I am not ecstatic about being on the waitlist. And as you said, sorting out back-up plans, facing the possibility of unemployment (and going through the whole application process again) is not fun. But I know medicine is what I want to do, and getting a rejection this year isn't going to change that. Besides, it means I can put off living in Hamilton for at least another year!

Archived