Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

Here's a quick questionnaire regarding the admissions process at McMaster. We ran this questionnaire last year, and I'd like to keep it going on an annual basis so we can generate some profiles of applicants who have been accepted, rejected, or placed on a waitlist for each school. If you are applying this year, please take a few minutes to fill out the below questions. :)

Please keep all replies focussed as answers to the below; I will delete any non-answers in this thread. If you have any questions, please start a new thread so that this one stays on topic. Please check out the big thread in the General Premed Forum as well to let us know which schools accepted you, and which ones waitlisted you or rejected you: pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=648.topic

If you can copy and paste the below form, and fill it out, that'd be awesome. If you want to contribute your GPA and MCAT stats in addition, that's great too. :)

------

I'm a (Province) resident in (undergraduate or graduate) studies. My GPA was (XYZ) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (x)

Verbal: (y)

Biological Sciences: (z)

Written Sample: (z)

I was (accepted/rejected/waitlisted) by McMaster. This is my (first/second/third/more than third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (XYZ Med School) as my first choice.

------

Ian

Guest Angela 2

Hi everyone,

I received my acceptance letter on Friday May 31st in a beloved big brown envelope.

I am an Ontario resident with an undergrad in Biomedical Sciences and I am just finishing up a one year M.Sc. in Nutrition (both at the great UofGuelph).

This is my first time applying to medical school. I was also admitted yesturday to Queen's, I haven't heard from Ottawa or Western and I was waitlisted at Calgary.

Good luck to everyone and if you are unsuccessful try, try again! It took me five years of uni and contemplation to feel ready to even apply to med school. YOU CAN DO IT!

Guest marmotYVR

I'm an Ontario/BC resident. I've been out of school for 6 years.

I was rejected by McMaster. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend McMaster as my 1st choice.

Guest marba78

I'm an Ontarian resident. I studied Life Sciences at Queen's University

I was accepted by McMaster. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend MAC as my first choice.

I did not write the MCAT and my GPA was 3.79 (4.0 in final year)

Guest medwant2b

I'm an Ontario resident. I finished a MASc in Biomedical Engineering at UT. I got my rejection from McMaster today. This is my second time applying, but first time I got interviews. McMaster was my first choice. I still have to hear from UT, but I'm not hopeful because I didn't think the interview went well. :(

Guest Angela

I am an Ontario resident, and am completing my master's degree in Pharmacology at U of T.

I was waitlisted by McMaster. This is my more than third time applying.

Of all the schools I applied to, Mac is my first choice.

Angela

Guest Goldendoc

Hey premeds,

I walked to the mailbox, opened it and there it was, a nice brown envelope from Mac. To my surprise I was waitlisted. Man, can't they give you a different envelope so you don't get excited and think that you're in! Anyways, I live in Thornhill, so those in thornhill get your mail and good luck.

GOLDENDOC

Guest Beaver

Hello I am a Toronto/Ancaster Resident

I received my acceptance for Mac Today

Out of the schools I applied Mac or UofT are my first choices

Background:

Bsc Honours complete (Pharmacology UofT)

GPA: 3.92

MCAT: 12VR 12BS 12PS Q

Phd (Toronto) complete

This is my first time applying

Good luck to everyone

Guest onionsneakers

I'm an Ontario resident in my second year of a Masters thesis at U of T.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Mac as my first choice. (This was a difficult choice to make because of how different an experience Mac is likely to be.)

MCAT: 11, 11, 9, N

GPA: I don't really know - anywhere from 3.51 (cumulative) to 3.8 or so (recent undergrad years)

Guest sydney

I have two degrees, BKin and BHSc(OT) and have worked as an Occupational Therapist for almost three years...one the "Wait List" at McMaster, my one and only application...3rd time trying...MAC is obviously my 1st choice!!

Guest ItsmeMelissa

I am an Ontario resident

I completed by Bachelor of Social Work in 1999

I was thinveloped by McMaster. This was my first time applying.

McMaster was my first and only choice.

G.P.A 3.83 (OMSAS)

MCAT (yet to be conquered)

I am now going for a long and well deserved nap. Congrats to all who were accepted and all who made it as far as you did.

Melissa

Guest kewpee

I'm a BC resident who graduated this year with a BSc in General Biology from UBC.

I was accepted by McMaster today. This is my first applying to this school. I also applied to UBC and UA. I was rejected with no interview from UBC and have yet to hear from UA.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Mac as my first choice.

GPA: 3.21 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 9/10/9/M

Guest BoneHead

I figure I would contribute to the board after following it for sometime.

I am an Ontario resident in the last few months of my MSc at UofT.

Unfortunately, as the header suggests, I was rejected by McMaster (My second time applying). McMaster would have been my first choice because it is close to home and the program was most suitable to my learning personality (plus a good friend of mine is working there as a post-doc!).

Just some stats on myself. I received an Hon BSc in microbiology/human biology from UofT and I am currently trying to finish my MSc in Lab Medicine and Pathobiology. My research deals with the cumulative effects of fluoride on bone quality in dialysis patients.

Guest oh well

I'm an Ontarion resident in undergraduate studies.

I was rejected by McMaster. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of T as my first choice.

Guest mario

I'm a Ontario resident who has completed an honours degree in B.Sc in Biochemistry, and is presently nearing the end of an M.Sc in the same.

I was Waitlisted by McMaster. This is my third time applying, but first time with an interview. I was rejected by Ottawa (had applied there three times as well, interviewed twice and rejected twice)

Guest Sumi23

I'm a BC resident who graduated this year with a BSc in Pharmacology from UBC.

I was waitlisted McMaster and I got accepted on June 14th. This is my first applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Queen's as my first choice.

GPA: 3.47 (cumulative)

MCAT: 10/10/10/n

I did my BCom and MBA in Management. I am a Quebec citizen, who did CEGEP in sciences.

I got rejected from Mac, my first year applying. Of all the schools I intend to apply to next year, Mac is my first choice (it suits my character in terms of teacing methods and independent studying).

Good luck to they new 2005 year students!

Guest dubliner

I am an Ontario resident.

I have not written the MCAT

Cumulative GPA = 3.68

I applied once to McMaster in 1997, rejected sans interview.

I was waitlisted as of today (arrrrrr.... worst possible situation for me...)

cheerio

dc

Guest GiddyGirl

I'm a resident of Ontario and have completed a B.Sc. in Honours Microbiology & Immunology.

Yesterday, I was accepted by McMaster. This is my first time applying.

McMaster has always been my first choice. It's my dream school. I can't wait to start...

Guest Red Fox

I am wowed to have been accepted today at McMaster, my first and only choice in my first year of applying. I am an Out of Province Applicant.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Psychology from Acadia University which I completed 12 years ago.

I've had a career in community based counselling and adult education for over a decade.

My CGPA is 3.64 (once OMSAS got there hands on it).

Never had the pleasure of dancing with the MCAT.

I think Mac is the place for me. I am writing my resignation letter for work and making plans to go to the Beach. Can't wait to see folks in August.

Red Fox

Guest Bugs Bunny

Hey Red Fox, 12 years ago......how old are you???

Congratulations, and good luck to you!

I am an Ontario Resident and I was rejected by Mac the only school I applied to (didn't write the MCAT)

About me:

GPA 3.98 Bsc. Hons Physiology UofT

GPA 4.00 Bsc Hons Nursing Mac

Worked as a critical care nurse for 4 years

worked with doctors without borders for 1 year in Bosnia, Afganistan

Volunteered 18 hrs per week in homeless shelters and re hab for homeless centres providing nursing care

played women's hockey for UofT's varsity

played women's volleyball for Mac's women's team

given volunteer of the year award two years in a row by Mayor of Hamilton

Comments: I cant wait to write the MCAT and apply to the REAL medical schools!!!!

I couldn't believe the phony useless group work, looking for nonsense I tell you, nonsense!

Guest WesternGirl

I just finished my undergrad at Western (Bachelors).

I got accepted to Mac and this is my second time applying to McMaster.

GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 32Q

MAC is my first choice and I'm excited about starting in the fall.

Guest Red Pear

I've been a resident of Nova Scotia for the past 11 years, but McMaster considered me as Ontario since that is where I spent my high school years. Lucky me.

I have a B.A. in Women's Studies, graduated in 1995. I completed two semesters of 5 first year science courses last fall and winter.

I have not written the MCAT and again, lucky me, won't have to.

I have a professional background counselling women who have experienced sexual and domestic violence and doing community outreach.

Mac was the only school I was eligible to apply to this year. It is also the only school in Canada that I wanted to attend.

• 4 weeks later...

I am an immigrant,

Have BScNursing, worked for over 7years, volunteered, traveled.

MSc from UofT in Molecular Genetics.

Took MCAT, verbal is low rest is good.

MAC my first choice.

Rejected by Ottawa, UofT but Mac was my first choice.

Cheers everyone and good luck for all other waitlisted falks.

• 10 months later...
Guest Head Dawg

I was accepted to Mac. Got the big envelope today in the mail. (Actually, mom picked it up and called me about it. Don't you think sometimes that our parents are more excited about applications/interviews/letters etc. . then we are?? CRAZY!)

Last Name Letter: S

City: Waterloo

1st time applying to Mac

3rd year Hons. Science student at Waterloo

Also applied to Ottawa: haven't got the darn email yet!!!

Best wishes to everyone, many of you I hope to meet in the fall.

CHEERS!