Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Your stats are lower than mine and I did not receive an interview. You must tell me your CASPER secret (it involves mentioning PBL or paternalism/informed choice right?)!

I have a 3.62 GPA, was in the process of my MSc, and got 28Q (8BS, 10PS, 10VR) on the MCAT. I had never taken orgo, bio, or chem, and just studied from exam crackers. I have a physics degree and my MSc is in medical physics.

I got accepted off the bat at Mac.

Here is my "secret". I read every medical ethics/interview book available: "Doing Right", "So you want to be a doctor, eh", "History of Medicine, A Scandalously Short Introduction", "the medical school interview", "first, do no harm".. and then some more.

I knew when I enjoyed reading those books, it was a good sign. I was truthful on the Casper without being judgemental, but always choosing a side in the end, but explaining why beforehand.

in my MSc i dealt regularly with patients with Alzheimer's. My EC's are scant, and include mostly sports. I've worked in a doctor's office, and as a residence advisor for 2 years at uoft during my grad studies. Did research during all summers of undergrad in physics (NSERC USRAs) and once in neuroscience (work study). Most of my experience that led to me wanting to be a physician was paid work; I never volunteered in hospitals, only worked in them, and whatever volunteering I did do was scant (I did not have the luxury of having someone else pay for my education and OSAP did not approve me.. so I had to work all throughout undergrad).

Whatever your situation, if you want to be a doc for the right reasons, they will see that.

I've been big time lurking on this forum, and I never thought this would come:

Accepted to Niagara campus

U of T

3rd year

Psych / Human Bio

GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 38Q

Verbal: 11

Timestamp: 12:02

Hang in there everyone!

Applied: Mac, Queen's, UofT, Ottawa, Memorial, Albany, Mt Sinai, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, UCSF, Cornell, Buffalo, SUNY Upstate

Regrets: UofT, Ottawa, Memorial, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, UCSF, Cornell, Buffalo, SUNY Upstate

Interviewed: Mac, Queen's, Albany, Mt Sinai, SUNY Upstate

WL: Mac, Queen's, Albany, Mt Sinai

Accepted: Mac

• 11 months later...

Result: ACCEPTED

cGPA: 3.84

MCAT: 11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS, Q WS

ECs : 3 years of research, 5 conference presentations, TA'ed 6 courses, executive on a couple clubs, videographer at university and external organizations, helped develop courses at UofT, Tutor, hospital volunteer, campus Red Cross/Charity work, Student Advisory panel for new professors at UofT, a few awards, currently working at UofT as a Lab Technician, Lab Volunteer Coordinator and TA for 6 courses

Year: completed undergrad but not a grad student

My. God.

ETA: Declining in favor of UT. Good luck :)

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

Time: 7:57 AM

Campus: Hamilton

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

Interview feeling: Felt amazing after the interview. However, as time passed, I became increasingly unsure about my performance. I felt that 3-4 stations went VERY well, 4-5 went medium and 1-2 went poor compared to the other ones but still not terrible or deal-breaking.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!

Time: 7:57 AM

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

Interview feeling: Felt amazing after the interview. However, as time passed, I became increasingly unsure about my performance. I felt that 3-4 stations went VERY well, 4-5 went medium and 1-2 went poor compared to the other ones but still not terrible or deal-breaking.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Accepted!

Time stamp: 7:58 AM

GPA: ~3.90

MCAT: 9 PS/11 VR/11 BS

Year: 3rd year undergrad

Interview feeling: Was confident throughout the interview and felt good right after. However, after I left Mac, I really started to doubt my performance. I am very sure that I completely missed the point of 1 station, had a few mediocre stations, and 2 amazing stations.

Just one tip for future interviewees -- try to not do things in the weeks before your interview that could make you sick. I got sick two weeks before my interview... sore throat, cough, cold, bad hearing... and that added a lot of pressure/stress :(

Does anyone else have a typo in the title of the e-mail? Mine says "Offer of Admissoin - McMaster MD Program - Hamilton Campus."