Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Wow was I the only reject?? Oh well I guess I will post for the purpose of stats 

Rejected :(
Time: 8:25am
GPA: 3.78
CARS: 128
Interview: Honestly I didn't think it went that poorly and I usually gauge my performance pretty accurately but I guess I was wrong. Looking back I think I felt kind of thrown into it and maybe it took too long for me to get into a good groove or whatever. I'm kinda shocked that I wasn't even thrown a waitlist but what can you do...
IP
4th year UG in 5 year program

This was my only interview so I'm really bummed but there's always next year.

Waitlisted  :unsure:

Time: 8:22AM

GPA: 3.79

CARS: 131

CASPer: Felt OK, wasn't stressful or anything

Interview: Actually really enjoyed it, lots of topics I'm naturally interested in and felt good coming out of it minus one or two stations.

Out of province (BC)

Graduated BSc Psych in 2012

Fingers crossed!

Accepted - Hamilton Campus

Time: 8:13 AM

GPA: 3.75

CARS: 132

Casper: First half was great. Got cut off a couple of times during the second half.

MMI: Most stations felt great, but felt that I totally bombed one

IP

Recently completed second undergrad

For the non-traditionals out there I hope my post provides you with some hope. I went the second undergrad route and was accepted into my top 2 choices. It is definitely a bit of a gamble to go back to school, but in my case it has been 100% worth the time, effort, debt (lol) and hard work.

Accepted to Hamilton!

Time Stamp: 8:16 AM

wGPA: 4.00

Verbal: 10

CASPer: Felt pretty good, I thought I answered everything reasonably. 

Interview: I felt it was mediocre, especially compared to my others. I thought I bombed 2 stations and there were a few others that were just alright. I guess they didn't think so!

Year: 3rd year UG, IP

Posting for a friend:

Accepted - Hamilton
Time Stamp: 8:12 AM EST
GPA: 3.98
VR: 125
CASPer: I felt very good about it.
Interview: Felt horrible about 2 stations, bad about one other one, and pretty decent about the rest.
Year: UG 3
Getting in with a low CARS score is possible guys!

Looking forward to meeting all of you! :) smile emoticon
IP

Accepted to Hamilton campus

Timestamp: 8:16 AM

GPA: 3.98

CASPER: Felt decent, but got cut off at every question by time (?)

MMI: Terrible one station, 4 decent, 4 great. Overall felt pretty good about the interview.

Accepted

GPA: 3:85

MCAT: 12B/11V/11P

Casper: Had a good framework, but got cut off several times

Interview: Really good, did lots of prep

5th year PhD in neuro, with plenty of research/scholarships/leadership and long term community involvement.

Also got U of T, Western, + Queen's wait-list, but I've always leaned towards Mac so I'm happy to post here.
(If you can help me decide, PM me :))

Rejected

Time Stamp: 8:24 AM

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 130, 129, 130, 130

CASPER: Felt very good about it.

Interview: I felt like it went fairly well

Year: finished fourth year

ECs: Fairly average to decent. A bit of research, good hospital volunteering, some leadership in a recreation club, lifeguarding.. 

Honestly very surprised I got rejected, stung a bit. However, I did get Western which was my preference so all is good. Good luck to everyone else and congrats to all of the accepted!

Accepted - Hamilton Campus
Time: 8:12 AM
GPA: 3.45 (!!! in case anyone is feeling hopeless with a low cgpa)
CARS: 131
Casper: Think it went fine, it's a bit of a blur because I wrote it several times, once in English then twice in French because of the system crashing.
MMI: Thought the questions were good ones and interesting to answer, generally had a good time despite the anxiety!
IP
Non-trad, BSc & MSc.

(second round of applications, no interviews last year, only got an interview at McMaster this year)

Accepte

Time: 8:17 AM

GPA: 3.91

Casper: It probably went alright; I received an interview off the waitlist, so probably average?

MMI: Thought I bombed this... Terrible on the first station + the interviewer stopped me on another station because I read the question wrong

IP

3rd Year UG

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Accepted - Hamilton Campus (1st choice)

Time: 8:13 am

GPA: 3.84

VR: 10

Casper: didn't prep for it as much as I did last year, had no idea how I did but was able to complete all questions confidently.

MMI: spent a few weeks prepping prior, had a framework to answering each questions. Thought I did horrible on 2-3 stations, good on 3 and the rest average.

IP , 4th year undergrad

It still hasn't quite sunk in!

Posting for Completeness...

Result: Rejected

cGPA : 3.82

MCAT = 514 (129/127/130/128)

Interview Date: February 28th (?)

Interview Feelings: I thought it was decent actually...only second to U of T and on par with Queens. U of A and much better than my U of C interview...

ECs: fairly extensive, varied and extremely applicable to medicine, pm for details

Year: Graduated 2014, Non-Trad Allied healthcare professional

What went wrong? I'm guessing my low CARS score and lower end GPA 3.82 and CASPER not being considered in the weighing (70% interview) just means that my interview was mediocre at best and those with similar interview schools but better stats prevailed. All in all, based on what McMaster looks for, I guess I am not their ideal candidate.

This was my top choice and not seeing it pan out stung...my girlfriend lives in this city (would make Medicine and future life planning easier), I already have quite a bit of healthcare background so a 3 year accelerated program would've been nice and learning in a self-directed group manner would've been awesome.Nevertheless I am extremely grateful for my other offers and will be accepting my offer to U of T. Hope these stats help others in their quest.

Accepted to Hamilton!

Timestamp: 11:29 AM (May 20 off waitlist)

GPA: 3.77

VR: 11

Casper: I thought I bombed it. Was not expecting an interview AT ALL

Interview: I felt pretty confident coming out of it except for one station. But the more I thought about it, the more average it felt. I guess I did above average!

Accepted at Niagara

Timestamp: 11:53 AM (May 20 off waitlist)

GPA: 3.94

VR: 128

Casper: thoroughly enjoyed answering it; was just very honest

Interview: likewise, felt pretty confident coming out of the stations, although some answers could've been better..

Does anyone know when the official paperwork is emailed out following the offer email?

Long-time lurker so wanted to contribute to this forum which has gotten us all through this crazy ride!

Accepted off waitlist to Hamilton campus!

Timestamp: May 25th 12:19 PM

GPA: 3.82

Casper: Well enough, I guess! I prepared as I would have for an interview, and I can type quickly.

Interview: Felt like it went really well. I was myself and tried to relax into it. About 2 stations were a little rough, 1 was ok, and the rest were solid.

IP

This has been a long road (5 application cycles, 3 MCATs and first year interviewing) and I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity! I will be accepting, as this is my first choice and only offer!!  :)

Looking forward to meeting my classmates in August! And good luck to everyone still waiting!