Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

ACCEPTED - Hamilton Campus

Timestamp: 8:28am

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 131

CasPER: I didn't do much prep for this (read Doing Right and some online medical ethics stuff), and overall felt it was alright. I had difficulty answering one set of questions.

Interview: Honestly, I thought this went great. The acting station threw me a little (the scenario was pretty on the nose, haha), but otherwise I really enjoyed talking with my interviewers. I'd done a lot of practice though my school (Western offers 4 mock MMI sessions for students) and a friend who was also applying. I also spent a lot of time experiences/debating ethical scenarios with my SO.

IP, currently finishing my MSc

General advice for any future applicants reading this, mock MMIs are great; they get you really familiar with the setup, and comfortable with the answer length. Don't feel like you have to fill all 8 minutes with a monologue; it's ok to have silence! I kept my answers around 4-6 minutes on average. If you'd like any advice/tips, feel free to PM me! =)

My first choice is Toronto, so I'm hoping I get pulled off the waitlist early; then I can give my Mac spot up to one of you lovely people! =)

ACCEPTED TO HAMILTON!!

Timestamp: 8:28

GPA: 3.79

VR: 129 (rest of the MCAT was mediocre)

CASPER: Felt when I wrote it two years ago that it went more smoothly then, but felt I did a decent enough job outlining my thoughts in the time frame.

IP - 2nd year MSc

Interview: Felt that most of my stations were things I wasn't expecting, but felt I did a decent job talking through everything.

So over the moon right now. This was my only interview, and cannot wait to accept (holding off a day or two in case I click wrong buttons in my current state LOL)

Accepted to Hamilton! :)  So grateful and happy for this offer!

Timestamp: 8:28 am

cGPA: 3.97

CARS: 128

Casper: I thought it was just okay, not great but not disastrous

Interview: My last interview so I wasn't too nervous and felt fairly well-prepared. I thought most stations went well,but the acting station and a couple others stations felt rough. 

IP, 3rd year UG

Result: Rejected; no wait-list

Timestamp: 8:33 am

cGPA: 3.99

VR:11

Casper: Felt iffy about it

Interview: Thought I did well on 7 out of the 10 stations. Messed up on the remaining 3.

Honestly, I was a little surprised to be rejected right off the bat... :P

Waitlisted

8:35 timestamp

3.76 GPA

127 CARS

++ years of professional experience as an allied health professional in health care

CASPER: felt very good about it

MMI: thought it went OK, some stations stronger than others, didn't feel I bombed any of them

This is my second attempt have been waitlisted both times

Accepted - Hamilton Campus

Timestamp: 8:29am

cGPA: 3.87

CARS: 127

Casper: Felt very good about it, considering this year I got to complete the whole test.

Interview: Thought it went well, a few stations were rough (especially the acting scenario). Overall left with a good feeling.

IP, 2nd year MSc

After 3 years and lots of patience, I can finally say I've achieved my dream. Honestly, this has been a gruelling journey and one that has really taught me so much, most importantly to believe in myself. For anyone out there that's feeling disappointed around this time of year, know that you're capable and that for some of us it's just testing our patience that much more. Believe in yourself, because if this is truly what you want, it will work out! I'm a strong believer in paying it forward and I wouldn't be here without support from friends/family that are in/have gone to medical school. If you have any questions or want to chat, feel free to PM me. Good luck! :D

Accepted to Hamilton Campus

Timestamp: May 9 - 8:29 AM

cGPA: 3.73

CASPer: Felt fine, got answers down for everything.

Interview: Also felt fine, had some positive interactions and some 'eh' stations - spent the last month trying not to think about what I should have done differently.

IP - BA, compressed BScN :)

Result: Waitlisted (Accepted from Waitlist on May 25, about 2 weeks after initial offers).

Time Stamp: 8:35 am - May 9

cGPA: 3.97
Year: 4th yr

CARS: 129

Interviews: I felt like there was 1 spectacular station, 1 absolutely terrible acting station, 2-3 mediocre stations, and the rest were decent to good. Overall, I felt it was decent but not amazing.
Geography: IP

EDIT: Got off the waitlist for Hamilton campus on May 25, 2:51 pm.

Result: Accepted to Hamilton

Time Stamp: 8:30am

cGPA: 3.9
Year: Graduated

CARS: 128

Interviews: I thought I missed the point and bombed one of them, but great on the rest. 

Glad to have got the acceptance this year! Spent a lot of time during my commute reading up on health policy, current issues, ethics and interpersonal skills. More importantly, every week, I prepped with a few people I met through this forum. I think it helped a lot talking about interview topics with people who I didn't know well, to better simulate the MMI process and to receive different feedback.  I'm happy to have made some friends through the interview process!

Result: Waitlisted (but remaining optimistic!).    EDIT: Accepted off waitlist on June 1st (12:22 pm) 

Time Stamp: 8:36 am

cGPA: 3.65
Year: Graduated, second degree

CARS: 130

Casper: I felt okay about it, however I was surprised to see so many personal questions. 

Interviews: I had a really incredible experience and enjoyed the MMI format! There is certainly room to improve for next time (if needs be).  

This was my first time applying and I am thrilled and surprised to have gotten this far! Good luck to fellow waitlisters, those applying again next year, and congrats to accepted applicants!  :)

EDIT: I'm happy to answer Q's about my application strategy (second undergrad, only wrote CARS) or the process in general!! PM me if you would like! 

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:27 am

cGPA: 3.96

Casper: Was generally unsure about it. But i also interviewed at Ottawa so I guess couldn't be that bad?  

Interview: Hard to tell, thought I could've done better in 2-3 stations but I practiced, and generally am confident in my critical thinking skills. 

Other: IP 3 Year 

Good luck people on the wait list and i look forward to meeting you all!

Result: Accepted 

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 518 with 128 CARS

ECs: guitar teacher, research, club executive positions, hospital tech job (PM for more details on this section)

Interview: Felt comfortable. Felt like most of the practice i did for MMI prepared me for Mac's style of questioning the best.

Year: 4th

Result: Accepted   :)

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 130/128/131/128 (517)

ECs: I did things I enjoy.

9 years with one organization, worked part-time all throughout undergrad, dabbled in clinical and basic science research (various poster publications, no manuscripts atm), involved with my local cultural community 

In may opinion, my ECs  were less 'competitive' than what I've heard from others applying to med. I never really had the money to go abroad or volunteer a lot because I had to work most of the time. I also do not have any special talents, no musical skills, no dancing, no sports...nothing. My activities, except for one were also not extensively long-term. 

To those applying, don't feel pressured to do things to become a more competitive applicant. Just be who you are, and hopefully your character shines through to the admission committee and interviewers. 

Interview: The MMI was very fun! Everyone was super friendly. I did mess up on a few stations. I gave my answers from my heart. I'm not one to follow structure when giving my MMI responses, but it works for me! 

Year: 4th year UG 

Will be accepting to be a Schulich Med and declining my offer! 

Result: Accepted off waitlist on May 18th (Waterloo campus)

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 522 (130 CARS)

ECs: I don't think Mac looks at this? Research heavy but nothing spectacular, PM me if you want to know more!

Interview: I did not feel like it went well, it was my second interview in 24 hours and I was exhausted but I guess it can't have been that bad!

Geography: OOP

Waitlist movement has started!! I'll be declining this offer so hopefully someone else on the waitlist gets some good news soon! Congrats to all those accepted!

Result: Accepted off waitlist on May 18th (Waterloo campus)

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 522 (130 CARS)

ECs: I don't think Mac looks at this? Research heavy but nothing spectacular, PM me if you want to know more!

Interview: I did not feel like it went well, it was my second interview in 24 hours and I was exhausted but I guess it can't have been that bad!

Geography: OOP

Waitlist movement has started!! I'll be declining this offer so hopefully someone else on the waitlist gets some good news soon! Congrats to all those accepted!

Did you get a phone call first, or an email?

Result: Accepted off waitlist on May 18th (Niagara Campus)

wGPA: 3.83ish?

MCAT: 520 with 130 CARS

ECs: volunteering and clubs that I enjoy

Interview: honestly no idea how I did - struggled with one station, the rest were okay

Year: 4th

Will likely be accepting this offer and declining Western, but have a few days to decide :)

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!