Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Reject

Timestamp: 9:05 am May 8th 2018

cGPA: 3.84 or thereabouts

MCAT: CARS 131

Casper: Went well - I type fast

MMI: Felt it went much better than last year, but I guess not that much better. 2 average stations, 3 great stations, the rest good. 

Result: Waitlist

Geography: IP

Timestamp: 9:03 A.M on May 8th, 2018

cGPA: 3.87

CARS: 129

Interview: 3-4 good stations, 3 really messed up stations and the rest just okay. 

Year: Non-trad. Graduated 2012. 

Casper: Felt like I ran out of time on every question. 

Looking at the results of many applicants, it really pays off to apply to multiple schools! You never know what kind of candidates they are looking for! You could be a top candidate in one school or an auto reject in another! Spread your eggs in different baskets and your med school dreams will come true faster :)!

Congratulations to all those that got an offer!!

Result: Waitlisted EDIT: Accepted off the waitlist May 23rd at 12:53 EST to Hamilton Campus!

Timestamp: 9:03 am May 8th 2018

cGPA: 3.84

Casper: Went alright enough for me to get an interview OOP at U of A with it

MMI: This was a blur, I thought it was solid, but not like super impressive. I had to interview at U of A the next day so my memory is pretty hazy.

Result: Accepted (Hamilton)

Time-stamp: 8:51 AM May 8th 2018

GPA: 3.91

Stream: English

Geography: OOP

MCAT CARS: 129

ECs: Nothing outstanding but long term positions and have had an impact on me. 

Current year: Completed BSc. Gap Year Right Now. 

Interview: Felt quite stressed as it was my last interview and no pen and paper! But overall interviewers were receptive and I tried to get my point across without blabbering for too long.

Will be giving up my spot for a position closer to home! Congrats to all and goodluck to those on waitlist :) 

2015/2016

Applied: UofA, UofC

Rejected: UofA, UofC

2016/2017

Applied: UofA, UofC, UofO, UofS, UBC, Toronto, Queens, McMaster

Interviewed: UofC

Waitlisted: UofC Post Interview 

2017/2018

Applied: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster, Queens

Interviewed: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster

Accepted: UofA, UofC, UofO, McMaster

Result: Accepted! (Waterloo)

Timestamp: 8.58 am EST May 8th 2018

cGPA: 3.97

ECs: diverse I think?? nothing super long-term

Interview: pretty meh MMI but okay overall

CASPER: I was v rushed but ranked in the mid 150s out of ~830 OOP applicants to McGill if that's helpful!

Result: Accepted to Hamilton! Will be accepting

Timestamp: 8:54am

cGPA: 3.89

MCAT: CARS 132

ECs: honestly not too great. Diverse but no leadership experiences

Interview: felt really good coming out, maybe I was still pumped on the adrenaline? Definitely felt worse over time. Acting station and a few others weren't the best. 

Year: 3rd year UG

Result: Accepted to Hamilton campus 

Time stamp: 8:52 AM EST

GPA: 3.81

CASPER: Felt incredible about 3-4 sections, 2-3 sections I was in the middle of my sentence on the last question and got cut off, others felt pretty OK and I just went with my instinct because the test went by so quickly!

Interview: Honestly, the best interview of my life. I did not feel any stations went poorly. Three felt mediocre, the rest felt incredible. I particularly felt like I nailed the acting station. 

Geography: IP (master's degree)

I will be turning down my offer to attend the University of Calgary. I live in Calgary already and it makes no sense for me to move. This was a hard decision to make as my interview day at McMaster was extraordinarily enjoyable. 

Result: Accepted to Hamilton

Timestamp: 8:51AM

cGPA: 3.85

Interview: I honestly felt neither particularly good or bad about the MMI. I know I answered most of the stations fairly well, but I didn't think I did particularly amazing well in any of them. To be quite honest, I don't think there is any correlation between how you felt about the interview and the result, especially in MMI where there often is never a "right answer".

Year: MSc, first year (finishing in one year)

Casper: I'm fast at typing and have a pretty good grasp of ethics. I ended up typing at least 3-5 sentences per question.

Result: Accepted to Hamilton Campus!

Timestamp: 8:54AM

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 127

Casper: I type 130wpm and have had lots of experience with general ethics/conflict resolution in the past, so I felt pretty good writing this (I wrote quite a bit, around 5 sentences, for each question). In retrospect, even though everything went well, I certainly think I underestimated the importance of Casper for Mac and Ottawa and recommend that anybody applying in the future really prep for this!

Interview: I felt that at least 4 of my stations were really great, and the rest were at least 'good'. You start doubting yourself with every day that passes, but I honestly maintained the mindset that I could not have done any better than I did that day (so whatever happens, happens). Probably owe this to about 2 months of intense prep lol

Year: 3rd yr UG

--

Overall, my biggest piece of advice to anyone would just be to prep. An amazing Casper can make up tenfold for subpar cGPA/CARS. Ethics/conflict resolution is certainly something that can be learned. The more practice that you get (for casper, then the interview), and the more questions that you expose yourself to answering (out loud, timed, with friends/in the mirror), the more comfortable you will get. When interview day comes, it'll all feel like muscle memory!

•  

Result: Accepted to NRC

Timestamp: 8:56 AM

cGPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

Interview: Felt great about most stations, not so great for a few others... honestly it was a bit of blur! 

Year: 4th year UG

CASPer: I typed a lot very quickly but I think my rambling made some sense! Definitely prep some answers for this

Will be declining this offer. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!

1 hour ago, familymed said:

Result: Accepted to NRC

Timestamp: 8:56 AM

cGPA: 3.93

CARS: 128

Interview: Felt great about most stations, not so great for a few others... honestly it was a bit of blur! 

Year: 4th year UG

CASPer: I typed a lot very quickly but I think my rambling made some sense! Definitely prep some answers for this

Will be declining this offer. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!

Was this off of the waitlist or on May 8th?

Result: Accepted to NRC off waitlist 

Geography: IP

Timestamp: May 22 4:45 pm 

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 129

Interview: Some stations were great, others meh. No bad stations. Prepared a lot. 

Year: 4th year UG

CASPer: Prepped a little bit. I'm a very fast typer. Answered very honestly, tried to sound like a real person not someone who was just reciting Doing Right lol. 

Looks like the waitlist is starting to move so we should expect more offers in the next couple of days. Good luck everyone!!!!!

Accepted to Hamilton Campus!!!!

CARS 128

GPA 3.85

CASPER: Went well, finished all questions. Read Doing Right, and went through MMI scenarios to prepare for this (like typing out answers in small time frames). Also a software developer, so typing speed isnt a problem.

Interview: Felt like shit. Tbh, I thought I was just done with this. Literally laughed at how bad my answer was in the break station, and the student helper just looked at me funny. I guess interview feeling isn't correlated to anything....

HOOOLLYYYY FUCKING SHIT GUYS! I CANT BELIEVE IT. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE NEUROTICISM, PM101, IT WAS GOOD TO KNOW I WASN'T THE ONLY CRAZY ONE!!!!!

Result: WAITLISTat 9:03 A.M. May 8th 2018

Update: OFFER to Hamilton at 12:47 P.M. May 23rd 2018

cGPA: 4.00

CARS 129

Interview: Felt crappy overall, messed up bad at around 3 stations and did mediocore/vanilla/lukewarm on the rest 

Year: 3rd year Undergraduate, Mac was my only interview so 4th year here I come!