Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

On 5/8/2018 at 6:40 AM, Persephone said:

Result: Waitlisted EDIT: Accepted off the waitlist at 12:53 EST to Hamilton Campus!

Timestamp: 9:03 am May 8th 2018

cGPA: 3.84

MCAT: CARS 131

Casper: Went alright enough for me to get an interview OOP at U of A with it

MMI: This was a blur, I thought it was solid, but not like super impressive. I had to interview at U of A the next day so my memory is pretty hazy.

Still waiting on UBC's 1st round of offers but I am really stoked this was tied for my top choice with UBC's IMP!

Result: Accepted off waitlist (2:14PM)

CARS: 129

GPA: 3.56 (Got lucky with CASPer I guess)

Interview: Felt great coming out, I guess it really worked out for me.

Year: Graduated B.Sc in 2016

Geography: IP

Good luck to everyone! It is possible with a low GPA, just try your best and things will work out with some luck :)

Result: ACCEPTED off waitlist May 23rd, 2018 @ 12:36 pm EST

cGPA: 3.84

CARS: 127

Interview: Some stations were definitely difficult, other stations felt more okay. I think it's really difficult to gauge your own performance at interviews. Just tried my best and hoped for the best.

Year: Graduated B. Eng in 2017

Don't give up hope, you may be next! Good luck everyone! :)

Result: Accepted off the waitlist, May 28th 3:19 PM, Hamilton Campus

cGPA: 3.9

CARS: 128

CASPer: Felt ALRIGHT, not great because I didn't get an interview from UOttawa but it felt decent. Spent about two weeks prepping after I handed in my OMSAS application with friends and did about two full-length tests from prep companies.

Interview: 5 stations felt REALLY good, 2 felt decent and the rest mediocre. I think it was very important for me to have a structure in my answers but also find a balance in having an answer that is free-flowing and connects to personal experiences!

Year: 3rd Year UG

Honestly so grateful I can't even put my emotions into words! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted from waitlist May 28th 3:20 pm

cGPA: 3.78

CARS: 126

CASPer: I didn't really know how it was going to go, but I felt pretty decent about it.

Interview: There was some I felt great about, 1 I had no idea, and one I thought went poorly.

Year: 5th

I am SO happy! I definitely thought it wasn't going to happen due to my lower stats, but here I am! I hope this gives some hope to others in a similar situation. :)

Posting this for data. 

Result: Accepted to NRC campus (first round)

Interview: Felt like I did alright on two stations but felt awesome for the rest. 

Year: Graduated in 2017 with a BSc in Psychology

Geography: OOP

I ultimately decided to decline/retract my previous acceptance of this offer because I got off the waitlist at another school in my home province. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist! Hope I freed up a spot someone wanted. 

On 5/28/2018 at 5:47 PM, buttercream said:

Result: Accepted from waitlist May 28th 3:20 pm

CARS: 126

CASPer: I didn't really know how it was going to go, but I felt pretty decent about it.

Interview: There was some I felt great about, 1 I had no idea, and one I thought went poorly.

Year: 5th

I am SO happy! I definitely thought it wasn't going to happen due to my lower stats, but here I am! I hope this gives some hope to others in a similar situation. :)

This gives me hope.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:34 AM, Butterfly_ said:

Result: Waitlist

Timestamp: 9:03 A.M on May 8th, 2018

cGPA: 3.87

Interview: 3-4 good stations, 3 really messed up stations and the rest just okay. 

Year: Non-trad. Graduated 2012. 

Casper: Felt like I ran out of time on every question. 

Looking at the results of many applicants, it really pays off to apply to multiple schools! You never know what kind of candidates they are looking for! You could be a top candidate in one school or an auto reject in another! Spread your eggs in different baskets and your med school dreams will come true faster :)!

Congratulations to all those that got an offer!!

Accepted off Waitlist to Hamilton Campus!

Timestamp: Tuesday, June 5th, 2018 at 11:02am PST

Can’t believe it!! Now I’m going nuts!!

Accepted off Waitlist to Hamilton Campus!

Timestamp: Tuesday June 5th, 2018 at 12:10pm

cGPA: ~3.77

Year: Gap Year working (Graduated 2017)

Casper: Thought I did okay! I'm a fairly fast typer so that probably helped. Must have gone well with my pretty low stats.

Interview: Didn't feel great about the first of couple stations, but eventually I calmed down and think I did decent on the others! 

Hopefully this encourages people with lower stats to still apply/have faith!!!

• 1 month later...

Posting for data

Accepted off Waitlist to Hamilton Campus!!!! 

Timestamp: June 20, 1:53pm

cGPA: 3.95

Year: 3

Casper: Felt alright about most prompts. Did not finish quite a few of my responses but I guess that was okay!

MMI: Pretty bimodal- had a couple great stations where I felt I really connected with the interviewer, and a couple that were just terrible, stone-faced responses, tough role-play. 

Honestly, I had given up this cycle and did not expect to receive an offer so late. To future applicants: there's still a chance even late into the year—you never know!!

• 10 months later...

Timestamp: 7:53AM

cGPA: 3.93

Year: 4

Casper: Felt great! Think about what you would sincerely do in the situation to help you answer.

MMI: 3 stations felt horrible including the role playing, 3 mediocre and the rest felt good.

Congrats to those with offers!

Timestamp: 7:54AM

cGPA: 3.69

Year: done UG

Casper: Must have gone well to make up for GPA and CARS but doesn't matter post-interview!

MMI: 3 stations felt horrible including the role playing, 2 felt strong, rest I don't even remember.

Timestamp: 7:48AM

cGPA: 3.77

Year: Master's

Casper: felt decent, typing speed: 70 words per minute, some questions I ran out of time, several typos all over the place. I prepped by doing it with friends and discussing our answers. This helped me the most as I learned to consider so many different perspectives which I could use on the actual test

MMI: Out of the 10 stations, felt great for 5 stations, 4 felt average, completely bombed 1 (I misinterpreted the prompt and it was a disaster during F/U questions). However, I heard Mac drops your highest and lowest station so this worked out well.

Mainly posting this to encourage people that might have lower GPAs and CARS scores. This is my second time applying. The first cycle I didn't get a single interview, so don't give up! I was on the waitlist and got the invite a few weeks before my interview, so I was surprised to get the acceptance due to my low pre-interview score. Definitely recommend prepping online with strangers or with friends and try to simulate the MMI as much as possible!

Result: Waitlist

edit: accepted off waitlist to NRC on June 3rd @3:03!!! (Second choice - but still grateful)

cGPA: 3.63

CARS: 131

Interview: No bad stations and felt great coming out. Upon review, definitely room to improve my answers if I need to for next year... I accidentally tripped on a chair walking out of the acting station. (Will be taking coordination classes LOL)

Year: 4th year UG (took a 5th year but those grades weren't included for this cycle)

Time to get the waitlist party started guys!

edit after acceptance: it was a long road that was by no means easy. Im a much better person coming out of this entire thing though. So excited to be meeting everyone in August... and to the low GPA’ers out there. Never give up!

Result: Accepted to Hamilton Campus!!!

cGPA: 3.94

CARS: 131

MMI: bombed my first station but after the break felt like I hit my stride and had a few great stations! I felt net positive walking out of it.

I'm so happy and honored... This feels like a dream. Wishing you all the best and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!! Can't wait to meet you all soon :)

Can't believe this is happening! I'll detail what helped me get here below! :))

cGPA: 3.93

Timestamp: 7:50 AM

Year: 3rd year UG

CASPer: I really enjoyed this test! I'm mostly a philosophy/religion student, so I really enjoy ethics questions. I didn't really prepare for it, and I type pretty fast, so I think it went well. Not well enough to get an interview at Ottawa though! LOL 

Interview: I honestly have no idea!!! I know I absolutely aced 2 of the stations because I made the interviewers laugh, and it felt like a great conversation. The others, I think I did okay on. There was only one I think I didn't do so well on. I left the interviews feeling pretty okay, and then every day since then I've felt like I bombed it LOL. But I made it! My biggest recommendation for the MMI is  to practice, practice practice! I practiced with my parents, my closest friends, my roommates, myself (especially in the shower), my coworker, and even my stuffed animals. I did not discriminate on who I practiced with, which helped a lot because some of my friends in pre-law and other arts programs provided even better insight sometimes than my premed friends. I also did 3 full mock MMIs with other students. That was incredibly helpful as well to help with pacing, timing, and answering questions on the fly. 

Another thing that helped me out with interviews was practicing under more pressure than I expected to face during the real thing. For the MMI you get 2 minutes to read the prompt and 8 minutes to discuss with your evaluator. During my prep, I spent 30 seconds to 1 minute reading the prompt and formulating my answer, and gave myself 5 minutes to explain it. This helped me think really quickly, so when I got to the real deal I was incredibly calm because I had more time than I practiced. This was really great, it helped me calm down.

I also recommend making a 'pump up' playlist you listen to. Every night of the week before my interview, I would listen to the craziest gangsta rap. I'm a girl, so I listened to the raunchiest female rappers because that got me so hyped. I also listened to a lot of heavy metal and rock during this week. And right before they took our phones away on the date of the interview, I put my earphones in and listened to my favourite song. I was dancing in the bathroom stall. So before I got into the first station, I struck a power pose, rapped the Nicki Minaj verse from 'Monster' in my head, and walked in smiling. And I made sure to answer every question as honestly and interestingly as I could. I didn't always have a structure in my answers, but I always felt like I was being 100% myself. 

I'm wishing you all so much luck! This community has meant so much to me during this torturous process - just knowing that I wasn't alone. For those that accepted your offer, I can't wait to meet you in August!! And if you didn't get the results you hoped, I'm praying for you and wishing you the absolute best of luck. You can do this. You made it this far, you can make it! I am incredibly proud of every single one of you.