Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Rejected at Mac (post interview) :(

Accepted in the Carribean (haven't made a decision yet)

First time applicant

Ontario Resident

Undergrad (Nursing), GPA 3.80, no MCAT

Nursing experience 11 years, lots of volunteer experience, 36 years old

Felt the interview process went really well, so I am unsure how to improve my eligiblity for next year...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

I'm an Ontario resident in Honors Spec. Med. Sci. at Western. My GPA was 3.83 and my MCAT scores were: 26Q, 30P

I was accepted by McMaster, waitlisted (#33) at NOSM, and rejected post-interview for MD/PhD at Western. This is my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I will attend McMaster as my first choice.

*All the best to those on the waitlist! I'm rooting for you!

*For those that are reapplying, read the Bioethics for Clinicians Series by the CMAJ...Google it or find the link on this forum somewhere. It made all the difference in my application and interview.

Anyone going to Mac from London?!

Hey sorry for bringing this up after a long time but I have been curious as to how the CMAJ helped to improve just the application. I have read through and it does indeed seem quite helpful for interviews but how for the application?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'll be the first one this year to start this ~ I feel like I've been waiting a very long time to get to write this out :)

I was accepted today at McMaster, Hamilton Campus, my first choice! This is my third time applying to this school ~ First time interviewed, waitlisted. Second time no interview. Third time -- the charm! :)

GPA: 3.6

volunteer: lot's of stuff

I will be accepting Mac as it was my first and only choice! I am so happy, and so excited to be starting this fall.

:)

It feels very serial that I have finally gotten to write this out. I never really believed that this day would come :o

Accepted to McMaster MD+PhD program (Hamilton campus). :)

This is my first time applying to this school/any medical school.

No Mcat, cGPA 3.85

Just graduated from McGill with an Honours BSc in Biochemistry.

Lots of EC --> research internship in Germany (heart disease) voluneering, student council, Teacher's Assistant, worked with children for 2 summers, etc.

All the best to everyone else waiting on their letters, and I can't wait to meet everyone this september!!!!!!!!!!

I got in, was my second choice (after Queens) I waitlisted at queens

GPA: 3.82

Extras: superintendent for first aid organization, volunteer coordinator at a hospital, coaching ringette, leading girl guides

Interview: thought it was the worse then my other two interviews, but apparently not!

Waitlisted

UT undergrad

GPA: 3.97 OMSAS (3.99 UT weighted)

MCAT: 39P (10VR, 14PS, 15BS)

Research: 2 summers with abstract presented at a conference but no publications yet

Extracurriculars: volunteered at hospital, a few clubs

Misc: several academic scholarships, piano, creative writing (poetry and fiction) including some awards and one publication in a literary journal

Accepted at UT and Ottawa. Will be attending UT in the fall.

Accepted

Status = Accepted

Age = 20

Undergrad = Uni of Waterloo - Biomed Sci, applied after 2nd year and just finished my 3rd

GPA = 3.88(for my first 2 years)

Extra currics = 2 international volunteering experiences, local hospital, and some other stuff here and there

Campus = Waterloo Satellite school (this was my first choice as I am from kitchener and ofcourse makes no impact on offer of admission since everyone gets in from a master list)

MCAT = v8, P10, B9, R

Other Interviews = None, MCAT screwed me and ottawa didnt give me a chance

Feeling after interview = not so good

Waitlisted as well.

U of O undergrad (Physiology)

GPA: 3.99 OMSAS

Never took the MCAT

Research (as of when I applied): 2 summers, one year part time

Extracurriculars: hospital volunteering, some clubs, lots of music-related stuff, compete at amateur level in various endurance sports

Fire time I applied; only applied to U of O and Mac

Accepted at Ottawa. Will be attending Ottawa in the fall, unless I get off the waitlist before June 13th...and even then, Ottawa and Mac were always pretty equal in my books, so I don't know which I'd pick in that situation.

Accepted.

Second time applying. Last year was waitlisted for an interview but never received one.

OOP applicant. Only applied to Mac.

GPA - 3.9

Two degrees in nursing (bachelors and masters). Currently working as a nurse practitioner. I've done a lot of studying about Mac a couple of years ago and became very familiar with the school and the program itself. It's nice to see that I'll get a chance to be a part of it....congrats to all!

I was accepted to McMaster and am an OOP student.

It was my first time applying to any medical schools.

I'm a 4th year Bachelor of Health Sciences student with a major in Nuclear Medicine Technology.

GPA- 3.96 OMSAS

MCAT- 27S

ECs- Cadets, various musical and church things, exec position in university society, university and community groups, hospital volunteering in emergency and geriatrics, etc. I've also worked for four summers for a Hospice.

I will be going to MUN in the fall, so someone should be getting a call off the waitlist!

Accepted as an OOP student first time applying

GPA: 3.92 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 38P (not that it matters for mac)

EC's: 5 years student government work including VP internal for a year, Lots of committees and clubs, volunteered at a hospital for a summer on a post op ward, lots of work experience (put myself though school)

I was accepted also to McGill and Memorial, already turned down memorial but I am having a really hard time deciding between Mac and McGill

I'm excited to finally be able to post in this thread!

I am a 3rd year applicant from the University of Ottawa in Biochemistry. I was accepted at McMaster in the Hamilton Campus.

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 12P, 8V, 14B, Q

ECs: Hospital volunteering, pharmacy, 2 summers research, NSERC, volleyball intramurals, student council, clubs, tutoring, awards, etc.

Applied: Mac, UofO, UofT

Interviewed: Mac

Accepted: Mac

All the best to those still on the waitlist and I looking forward to meeting you all in August :)

Hello,

I am very excited and couldn't believe it when the acceptance came on the 15th!!!

Accepted at McMaster!

Applications: only Mac, No MCAT

GPA 3.7

BScN - McMaster University

5 years ER Nursing, Research Experience, National Disaster Response Team

Volunteer Work in Hamilton Community

I was waitlisted last year at Mac,

Good luck waitlisters the list moved pretty fast last year. The response to my the offer has to be in by May 29th so I imagine that is when a lot of waitlist offers should go out.

Hello Everyone,

I'm absolutely thrilled to be joining the class of 2011. I can't tell you how excited I am. I always read these threads, so I'll finally add to one....

MCAT Round 1: 11B 11P 8V Q

MCAT Round 2: 13B 14P 12V N (stupid writing sample)

uGPA: 3.74 B.Sc. Eng. Queen's Engineering Physics

gGPA: 4.0 M.Sc. Medical Physics Queen's (just finishing)

This was my third time applying to Mac, but my first time with an interview. I applied all over the place, with one other interview this year (Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN). I was waitlisted at Vanderbilt.

To those of you who are applying/reapplying next year: don't give up

3rd Year UWO undergraduate

Applied: UT, Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Interviewed: Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Waitlisted: Mac, Queens, Ottawa (please... just one of them... anyone of them would be fine!!!)

GPA: 4.0

EC: really random; first-responder team, international volunteering/conferences, oversea student facilitation, cadets, sports... NO RESEARCH~ :)

I'm a Southern Ontario resident in graduate studies at U of T. My undergraduate GPA was 3.56 and my M.Sc. GPA is 3.90. My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 9

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: S

I was waitlisted by McMaster and rejected by NOSM. This is my fourth time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I would have liked NOSM as my first choice since I want to practice rural medicine, but I know that Mac will support my ambitions as well...

Just waiting....patiently!!

Accepted from wait list. Email says I was on top of the wait list!

OMSAS GPA:3.86

MCAT: Not worth mentioning because of verbal.

EC: A lot, hospital volunteering, shadowing doctors, unique projects etc.

3rd year UoT

UoT was my first choice, but after lot of research, it seems Mac is a great school. I was a bit skeptical about Mac earlier but after going over the past statistics on matching & after meeting some great students I am convinced that Mac is the best school in Canada. I may get into UoT but will decline.

Very Happy to accept Mac.

• 7 months later...