Premed 101 Forums

GP/anesthesia + critical care?

Does anyone know if you can do a critical care fellowship if you go the 2+1 route? From what I can see, critical care programs say they welcome applicants from anesthesia... But is this just the FRCP program?

Correct, you cannot do a critical care fellowship from family med.

you can't

anesthesiology, internal medicine (or any of its subspecialty, even endocrinology), general surgery, cardiac surgery, emergency medicine are the pre-required residencies in order to do a critical care medicine fellowship in Canada

the usual length is 2 years if you take the surgical route and commonly 1 year via the others base residencies

Many of the "ICU"s in Canada are 1 or 2 beds in the emerg, with 1 ventilator available in the hospital. These are essentially just holding areas until the patient can be transferred out to a larger centre. I don't know of any family docs, 2+1 anesthetists, etc covering actual ICUs with 8+ beds.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you can do a critical care fellowship if you go the 2+1 route? From what I can see, critical care programs say they welcome applicants from anesthesia... But is this just the FRCP program?

GP anesthesia is essentially opening and squeezing bags of saline and pushing phenylephrine. Their pharmophys and differentials aren't at the level required for crashing patients.

Okay, they are just as good at managing crashing cardiogenic shock patients as 5 year FRCPC anesthesiologists.

pretty much from what I have seen - it is all the other stuff they aren't as experienced and skilled at. They can do a basic induction and manage the standard risks/complications from that.

• 3 weeks later...
According to the royal college website, you can do it from any other specialty as long as you can get 15 months of internal med/gen surg and 3 months of ICU.

http://rcpsc.medical.org/residency/certification/training/criticalcare-adu_e.pdf

This makes sense since there have neurosurg residents and ENT residents who have matched, but what doesn't make sense is...can't you meet those requirements with a CCFP EM if you plan out your electives accordingly?

Or do you have to be in a FRCPC program (which I think may have to be the case for this to make sense).

It needs to be a royal college approved specialty program. Family medicine is not a royal college approved specialty.

And how would get get 18 months of elective time in a 2 year program anyway

Archived