Premed 101 Forums

Can a grad student get into med school?

I’m really embarrassed and would be really grateful for your help. I’d really like to be a doctor, it’s the only thing I would want to do.

I feel in awe writing on a med school board as my gpa is so crappy!! A bit about myself, I would like to get into med school. The problem is, I am old (38), and already have a lot of debt from my failed masters degree in architecture.

Im currently working as a lowly secretary at a med school. Its the only thing I could find after graduate school 5 years ago. So I have been working in the medical field as admin for years. So embarrassing. My student loans oof 45k and credit card debt have to be paid off so I have had to work after my master's degree which i failed.

My gpa is absolutely horrible I think it’s a 3.0, I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, and my first degree is in Art History with a3.0 gpa. My masters gpa might be a bit higher at 3.1, but I did go to Berkeley on exchange and my GRE scores were high I guess. I don’t have a lot of science courses either and the ones that I do have are all Cs or B+, I don’t know how I managed to even get into any school. Thanks for your help. I’m still really hurting after failing my final thesis in Architecture. Even with the fail though im probably at 3-3.2 gpa. I don’t have a lot of recent volunteer experience, either.

What would I need to do to get into med school, is there any hope to get in? what is the average cost of med school and what is the employment prospects like afterwards?

thanks for your patience, I am an absolute newbie and just starting my preliminary research into this.

I’m really embarrassed and would be really grateful for your help. I’d really like to be a doctor, it’s the only thing I would want to do.

I feel in awe writing on a med school board as my gpa is so crappy!! A bit about myself, I would like to get into med school. The problem is, I am old (38), and already have a lot of debt from my failed masters degree in architecture.

Im currently working as a lowly secretary at a med school. Its the only thing I could find after graduate school 5 years ago. So I have been working in the medical field as admin for years. So embarrassing. My student loans oof 45k and credit card debt have to be paid off so I have had to work after my master's degree which i failed.

My gpa is absolutely horrible I think it’s a 3.0, I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, and my first degree is in Art History with a3.0 gpa. My masters gpa might be a bit higher at 3.1, but I did go to Berkeley on exchange and my GRE scores were high I guess. I don’t have a lot of science courses either and the ones that I do have are all Cs or B+, I don’t know how I managed to even get into any school. Thanks for your help. I’m still really hurting after failing my final thesis in Architecture. Even with the fail though im probably at 3-3.2 gpa. I don’t have a lot of recent volunteer experience, either.

What would I need to do to get into med school, is there any hope to get in? what is the average cost of med school and what is the employment prospects like afterwards?

thanks for your patience, I am an absolute newbie and just starting my preliminary research into this.

It sounds like you may be pursuing medical school for the wrong reasons here.

There are many grad students that get into med school. In your case, your GPA is below the cutoff for most schools unfortunately. For the schools that you can apply to, you will need a solid MCAT, stellar letters of reference, and beautiful extra curricular activities.

This is not impossible, but it's going to be a challenge.

If you didn't complete your grad school, then your best bet would be a second undergrad- which means more tuition, more debt, and you'd need to be achieving a very competitive GPA. On top of that you need to clear all the other hurdles every other med applicant does- MCAT and extracurriculars.

There is a sticky thread at the top of this sub-forum on second degrees, give that a read through if this is genuinely what you want to do.

Hi

If you are looking to became a doctor and you find that your grades are not that good enough to enter medical school I might have the solution. I have personally assisted many students from north america in fulfilling their ambtion of becoming a doctor by studying in europe and helping them through the registration exams in US or Canada. The tutuion fees are also a fraction of the price and you get a second chance in achieivng your potential.

Some of my students are currently working as residents in the US.

Please do not despair there are always second chances.

Well, I can't give you advice on the feasibility of getting into Med school as I myself am applying for it this summer.

But I know one thing. You live only once. And this life is short. So if that's what you really wanna do, then do it. There's nothing worse than getting old, looking back with regrets and thinking "what if". Age is just a number, if you really wanna do it, you can. One way or another. So, first figure out if you really want to do this. Then the rest is just a procedure... Being taking another undergrad degree or what not. Think a few years ahead, about when you've done it. Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Archived