Premed 101 Forums

UTM admission?

Has anyone heard of someone getting into medical school from UTM (U of T Mississauga campus)? I go there and just never have... My organic chem professor told our class that 0-3 students from UTM get in every year. Truth? I mean, how would she even know that?

Hahahahaha Prof. Shin? I heard she tells ppl that every year. I know at least 3 ppl that got into a Canadian med school from UTM undergrad this past cycle. I guess that's still within her ppl range but come on, there's gota be ppl who got in that I don't know of.

Hahahahaha Prof. Shin? I heard she tells ppl that every year. I know at least 3 ppl that got into a Canadian med school from UTM undergrad this past cycle. I guess that's still within her ppl range but come on, there's gota be ppl who got in that I don't know of.

YES!!! So probably lies then? That's mildly reassuring :)

YES!!! So probably lies then? That's mildly reassuring :)

UTM is still part of U of T, so even if med schools look at where you go to undergrad (which I don't think they do), it won't put you at a disadvantage. The thing with UTM may be that it has less research and extra curricular opportunities comparing to other campuses (and other universities like western, queen's, mac etc.). Some ppl at UTM go downtown for research in the summer and volunteer at UHN downtown. What's good with UTM tho is that if you like a prof's research you can also take a bunch of courses that he teaches and because generally the labs are quite small you get to know your profs really really well and can get great ref letters. I don't know much about the student bodies but I know UTM rez is excellent in terms of involvement/leardership opportunities.

Of course, these are things I have heard :o But hey, give or take, every school has their own thing, so don't really buy the speech that seem to make UTM students lower than all other universities. My friend there said when his class heard it it was a good wake up call for many ppl who did ridiculously well in first year to try harder, but of course don't completely believe in it. Just do your best, and your odds are about the same everywhere :)

1. Med schools dont care what school or undergrad you did, whatsoever. This myth needs to be bashed upside the head!

2. consider UTM as Carleton University. Carleton science programs are nowhere near U Ottawa. They dont have the hospital affiliations, the med school affiliations, and very small opportunities. All in all, carleton may have outstanding engineering, journalism, architecture, internation dev. programs, but they just dont have the science programs. And i know of MANY people who have gotten into schools in Canada and the US from Carleton.

So two things. Med schools dont care. Do your best and find your way in. Just cuz carleton doesnt have hospital affiliations doesnt mean you are banned from working there! Hope this is reassuring!

I've heard that exact statement from Prof Shin. :P I'm from UTM and got in this cycle. You are basically a U of T student, but like someone else stated the research opportunities aren't the same as UTSG. Just work hard on the GPA and ECs, and don't worry about anything people say to bring you down. That being said, I personally only know only two other guys from UTM that got in this cycle.

1. Med schools dont care what school or undergrad you did, whatsoever. This myth needs to be bashed upside the head!

2. consider UTM as Carleton University. Carleton science programs are nowhere near U Ottawa. They dont have the hospital affiliations, the med school affiliations, and very small opportunities. All in all, carleton may have outstanding engineering, journalism, architecture, internation dev. programs, but they just dont have the science programs. And i know of MANY people who have gotten into schools in Canada and the US from Carleton.

So two things. Med schools dont care. Do your best and find your way in. Just cuz carleton doesnt have hospital affiliations doesnt mean you are banned from working there! Hope this is reassuring!

lol you got that not entirely correct... as someone who has done both undergrad and research at UTM, i'd have to say that UTM has one of the top basic science programs in Canada and their strength is basic science research...some of the best researchers in genetics, behavioral ecology and physiology are at utm...furthermore, utm does have hospital affiliations now with both credit valley and trillium due to the medical school, although i dont know if this affiliation extends to research opportunities at the undergrad level...finally, utm's strength was never in clinical research, they've always excelled at the basic science level though, both in their academic programs and research.

as for Dr. Shin's statement, i'd take it with a grain of salt. her audience and sample size extends to only those who take org chem and among that also, most probably only those who got a recommendation letter from her lol..im sure there're more than 3 from utm who get into meds every year.

also, dont discourage yourself OP...there're excellent research opps at utm...as the earlier poster mentioned, utm is in the unique position to enable you to develop really good relationships with profs owing to small size...also, take advantage of the ROP program...its an excellent program..i was a 2nd yr UTM student when i began research through the ROP program..not many universities even take 2nd yr students for research. hell, the prof was so interested in my professional development that she offered me to start research in the summer of 1st yr.

That being said, I personally only know only two other guys from UTM that got in this cycle.

Haha, hopefully you 3 are not the 3 people that Justlive knows :P

Thanks for the encouragement Donnadee. I quite agree the basic science at UTM is stellar :)

We'll see how this application goes...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to make a new thread so I guess I'll ask right here. How difficult is it to get instructor's permission to take a course if you don't have the high school prerequisite? I know intro to physics requires the grade 12 prerequisite but I haven't got it.

Do I even need to take physics? All I want it for is MCAT. I've never taken physics before, so I'm not so sure what to do.

I don't want to make a new thread so I guess I'll ask right here. How difficult is it to get instructor's permission to take a course if you don't have the high school prerequisite? I know intro to physics requires the grade 12 prerequisite but I haven't got it.

Do I even need to take physics? All I want it for is MCAT. I've never taken physics before, so I'm not so sure what to do.

I'm assuming you mean at UTM. If Ghobriel is still teaching it he will absolutely let you. He'll warn you that it will be tougher and you'll have to work harder... but I didn't find it too bad.

Does it say on your diploma which campus you went to? Do they look the same? I mean assuming you took a program offered at all the campuses, like biology, how would a grad school be able to tell which U of T campus you went to?

From your transcripts. The course codes are different.

the physics on the mcat is basic, i never took university physics but i did gr 12 and PS was my strongest section.

if you're worried that going to UTM will hurt your chances at medschool, the "prestige" of your undergrad degree doesnt count for much, if anything... but most st. george people like to tell me its harder dt, so maybe your gpa will thank you for going to UTM. take all that with a grain of salt though, don't wanna incite a riot :)

I'm assuming you mean at UTM. If Ghobriel is still teaching it he will absolutely let you. He'll warn you that it will be tougher and you'll have to work harder... but I didn't find it too bad.

Was Ghobriel's class the first time you ever took physics? And did you just take Introductory Physics I or did you do both I and II? Will I be enough for MCAT?

the physics on the mcat is basic, i never took university physics but i did gr 12 and PS was my strongest section.

if you're worried that going to UTM will hurt your chances at medschool, the "prestige" of your undergrad degree doesnt count for much, if anything... but most st. george people like to tell me its harder dt, so maybe your gpa will thank you for going to UTM. take all that with a grain of salt though, don't wanna incite a riot :)

Well, to be honest it's a bit early for me to worry about where to go but I'm really not sure if I should go to UTSG or UTM. Is anyone aware of the difference between UTSG and UTM? Maybe someone who's switched from UTM to UTSG or vice versa? Any advice that anyone could provide would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Was Ghobriel's class the first time you ever took physics? And did you just take Introductory Physics I or did you do both I and II? Will I be enough for MCAT?

I took grade 11 physics but not grade 12. I took the whole year of physics from Ghobriel and I did quite well. Personally, I think part I will be more than sufficient for the MCAT.

Archived