Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS - Sketch

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I was in your shoes last year and understand the pain of only having 150 characters to describe everything. I'll include an example from my ABS (fail vs. success) and hope it can help clarify some concerns.

2010 cycle (fail ABS)

Description: Full-time Worker at Wendy's Fast Food Restaurant

Responsibilities: I worked as a store opener, sandwich maker, cashier, drive-thru operator, and/or grill operator.

2011 cycle

Same activities but worded differently.

Responsibilities: Ensured orders were completed accurately & efficiently by maintaining high quality & health standards, responsible for the cash & customer service

So in a way, I listed what I did, but at the same time it delivers what I learned that may be pertinent to medicine. Good luck!

I'll add a general rule of thumb from resume making that is of paramount importance when dealing with such restrictions as in the sketch >> Focus on accomplishments rather than duties.

Duty-centric: "I did these tasks", "These were my responsibilities"

This tells whoever is reading that you at least signed up and performed the required tasks as necessary. "Hospital volunteer, helped patients with ___ tasks, worked with hospital staff to obtain goal of ____".

Accomplishment-centric: "I improved this measure of success by this much", "My contribution improved this result by a tangible amount", "I was recognized for having the best ______"

This says you not only signed up and performed the required tasks but you additionally brought something special to the table. You were a leader, an innovator, a good communicator, etc. without explicitly stating these things.

It states on the OMSAS website that research activities done as part of course credit do not count as "research". I did an honours thesis project and a research based course abroad and I received credits for these for my undergraduate degree. Which category would these fit under?

Hey guys, I was in your shoes last year and understand the pain of only having 150 characters to describe everything. I'll include an example from my ABS (fail vs. success) and hope it can help clarify some concerns.

2010 cycle (fail ABS)

Description: Full-time Worker at Wendy's Fast Food Restaurant

Responsibilities: I worked as a store opener, sandwich maker, cashier, drive-thru operator, and/or grill operator.

2011 cycle

Same activities but worded differently.

Responsibilities: Ensured orders were completed accurately & efficiently by maintaining high quality & health standards, responsible for the cash & customer service

So in a way, I listed what I did, but at the same time it delivers what I learned that may be pertinent to medicine. Good luck!

Hey thanks for sharing.

There is a space for Responsibilities? I don't see it under the sketch

Nope, no space for responsibilities, but you can put what your responsibilities were under the "details" spot.

I just read this in the Help section:

"Note: If one sketch item is deleted, the number of items available decreases by one (ie if an applicant deletes one sketch item, the total number available decreases to 47; if an applicant deletes two items, the total number available decreases to 46)."

Am I misunderstanding this?! So if we have one item and decide to delete it, suddenly the total number of items we can possibly have decreases? Shouldn't it increase? Or am I misunderstanding what they mean by "available"? I'm understanding it to mean the number of empty spaces (i.e., out of 48)

It states on the OMSAS website that research activities done as part of course credit do not count as "research". I did an honours thesis project and a research based course abroad and I received credits for these for my undergraduate degree. Which category would these fit under?
Research. Everyone puts their thesis under research.

There's a button (forgot what it's called) that would lead you to provide details to each of your activities within the 150 characters limit.

I see a "Details Completed" tab after the "Geographic Location" but don't know how to get to it to add info into it

maybe its cause I only have my formal education added and maybe there isn't any details necessary for formal education.

Is it the comments section under verifier??

I see a "Details Completed" tab after the "Geographic Location" but don't know how to get to it to add info into it

maybe its cause I only have my formal education added and maybe there isn't any details necessary for formal education.

Is it the comments section under verifier??

Do not put details about the activity in the verifiers section, you must include them with the actual activity. All items that are not formal education will have that option.

Do not put details about the activity in the verifiers section, you must include them with the actual activity. All items that are not formal education will have that option.

Categories "Formal Education" and "Other" do not have the option to include additional details. The rests do.

Hey all,

I was wondering where something like a Silver medal at the Pan-American games would fit into a sketch. I was thinking awards and accomplishments initially, but.. having to explain the qualifications and competition for the award seems kind of silly no? (Qualifications: beating every other team but one.... lol) Thoughts on this? Should I put an athletic accomplishment instead under 'other'.

Also, for awards with monetary value attached to them, should we be including the amount of money? Like for OGS for example.

Thank you for your thoughts!

For verifiers, there is only place to add telephone. What if I don't have a phone number but have email id - where should I include that? I have added it in the comments slot and left the telephone number spot blank. Is that okay? How is everyone else filling it out?

What you I don't have their address, it doesn't allow me to leave that blank???

Also, for awards like honour roll or scholarship, who do you include in the verifier. It's noted on my transcript or financial account.

Also, for awards with monetary value attached to them, should we be including the amount of money? Like for OGS for example.

I think everyone knows how much an OGS is worth. I didn't indicate the monetary stipend I received with an UGS NSERC, and neither did I with the rest of my awards with monetary values. I think getting the award itself and the qualifications is more important. If you feel it's necessary you could put it at the end in parentheses.

Archived