Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS - Sketch

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys, I'm confused about Formal Education.

Do I enter specific subjects, taken in university, that prepared me for medicine?

Or do I simply enter the information for my undergrad degree? (university name, degree, year)

Also, do I enter high school information?

I know this might be asked commonly, but I could really use the help.

Thanks.

Guys, I'm confused about Formal Education.

Do I enter specific subjects, taken in university, that prepared me for medicine?

Or do I simply enter the information for my undergrad degree? (university name, degree, year)

Also, do I enter high school information?

I know this might be asked commonly, but I could really use the help.

Thanks.

Back in the day, I listed the schools/university I attended plus language, piano and other courses outside of school (including those medical related), certifications attained and special internships (indicating university course numbers).

Thanks for your reply futuredoc.

I'm also having difficulty understanding the procedure for sending in LORs (I'm slow like that....:( ) so could someone please clarify this for me.

The Confidential Assessment Forms are the form that the 3 people who are writing LORs for you have to fill out, right? Now, the OMSAS booklet also says there needs to be an accompanying letter for these forms elaborating on the info. the forms. So what would my referees do for this?

Also, can someone please pleasee pleaaseee explain the deadline situation to me? This is the main thing I can't understand.

OMSAS says that the Confidential Assessment Forms are due Oct 1, 2012. Now does that mean the actual LORs are due on Oct 1 too? I always thought they were due a little later than the application. I really need to understand this fully because then I can get to my referees right away. So..help...please...:(

Thanks for your reply futuredoc.

I'm also having difficulty understanding the procedure for sending in LORs (I'm slow like that....:( ) so could someone please clarify this for me.

The Confidential Assessment Forms are the form that the 3 people who are writing LORs for you have to fill out, right? Now, the OMSAS booklet also says there needs to be an accompanying letter for these forms elaborating on the info. the forms. So what would my referees do for this?

Also, can someone please pleasee pleaaseee explain the deadline situation to me? This is the main thing I can't understand.

OMSAS says that the Confidential Assessment Forms are due Oct 1, 2012. Now does that mean the actual LORs are due on Oct 1 too? I always thought they were due a little later than the application. I really need to understand this fully because then I can get to my referees right away. So..help...please...:(

1. In addition to filling out the CAFs (Confidential Assessment Form) your referees also need to write a reference letter to supplement/explain why they choose the things that they did on the CAFs. If you look at the CAF, you can choose the "percentile" you think that whoever it is that you're refereeing is in. So basically they have to write you an additional letter explaining those things, maybe with some examples like "Dave took great initiative in my lab because he ____________________ and _______________".

2. the LORs are due for different dates for different med schools....if you can't get them in by Oct 1st it's ok, but I like to be more cautious and try to get everything in at that time.

1. In addition to filling out the CAFs (Confidential Assessment Form) your referees also need to write a reference letter to supplement/explain why they choose the things that they did on the CAFs. If you look at the CAF, you can choose the "percentile" you think that whoever it is that you're refereeing is in. So basically they have to write you an additional letter explaining those things, maybe with some examples like "Dave took great initiative in my lab because he ____________________ and _______________".

2. the LORs are due for different dates for different med schools....if you can't get them in by Oct 1st it's ok, but I like to be more cautious and try to get everything in at that time.

Okay so this additional reference letter is NOT the recommendation letter they are writing for you?

So the referees would need to mail 3 things: the CAF, the second letter, and the actual LOR

Am I understanding this correctly?

The only research experience I have is a research project course I took in the summer where I worked in a lab but received a credit and mark for it. Can I put this under research in the OMSAS sketch?

No. Firstly, the research in OMSAS is about published research so if you didn't publish/present at conference/in press you can't put it down, and secondly it states: "Please note that projects done as part of a university course do not qualify as research."

Nope, no space for responsibilities, but you can put what your responsibilities were under the "details" spot.

I just read this in the Help section:

"Note: If one sketch item is deleted, the number of items available decreases by one (ie if an applicant deletes one sketch item, the total number available decreases to 47; if an applicant deletes two items, the total number available decreases to 46)."

Am I misunderstanding this?! So if we have one item and decide to delete it, suddenly the total number of items we can possibly have decreases? Shouldn't it increase? Or am I misunderstanding what they mean by "available"? I'm understanding it to mean the number of empty spaces (i.e., out of 48)

I have the exact same question. Can someone please answer this? I deleted at least 2-3 things so far. Does that mean that the total number of items I can possibly put in is less now? Also, where do I see what the total number I have left now is? :eek:

I have the exact same question. Can someone please answer this? I deleted at least 2-3 things so far. Does that mean that the total number of items I can possibly put in is less now? Also, where do I see what the total number I have left now is? :eek:

I've deleted well over 30 case (kept going back and forth about "Other" vs "Extracurriculars" for personal hobbies, as well as "Other" vs "research" about my research exp...still not sure about either), I have 22 or so on there right now. Nothing to worry about sheesh guys.

I'm kind of confused as how many sketch items are actually required for U of Ottawa. It says to pick your top 5 from each category (which is a total of 6 categories), so that would be a minimum of 30 sketch items, but I'm 100% sure I understood it correctly.

Also, for transcripts, do you only have to fill out the TRF on OMSAS and the request will be made even before you submit your application or will you have submit your application first before OMSAS will request your transcript?

No. Firstly, the research in OMSAS is about published research so if you didn't publish/present at conference/in press you can't put it down, and secondly it states: "Please note that projects done as part of a university course do not qualify as research."

Hi,

Where exactly does it says that the only research that should be included are those with publications?

I've read the bit in the handbook where it says not to include research that was part of a university course but I haven't seen anything that stipulates that only published research can be included in the sketch.

Hi,

Where exactly does it says that the only research that should be included are those with publications?

I've read the bit in the handbook where it says not to include research that was part of a university course but I haven't seen anything that stipulates that only published research can be included in the sketch.

Lots of people have included research without publications. The worst case scenario would be that it won't help your application, but there's no reason that I can think of that would make you not want to include it.

Lots of people have included research without publications. The worst case scenario would be that it won't help your application, but there's no reason that I can think of that would make you not want to include it.

Yep, that's what I thought as well. Thanks.

Hey guys,

Where should I put study of a classical language text . I know it seems like it should be under formal education, but I really feel like this is an accomplishment because a) the book & subject matter is very unique 2) i did it for my own development c) it required a lot of struggle to complete and Im not sure putting it under formal education would do it justice.

Also if I consider it an accomplishment, what should I write in the qualifications and competition textboxes

Archived