Premed 101 Forums

DENT2 and + students at UWO

Hi guys, I am going to be attending UWO this september and I am thinking of buying a new laptop. Right now I am deciding between mac pro and mac air. For those who are attending western, did you need to use cd drive? For a course I took in undergrad I had to purchase a program on a cd so I'm wondering if I can get by with a laptop (macair or ultrabook) without a cd drive.

Thnks!

You can always purchase an external DVD drive for like $50 at any computer shop for those rare occasions when you'll need it (literally maybe once or twice a year, depending on how often you need to install things). I've owned both a Pro and an Air and at this point if you're looking at the 13" models I would go with the Air. The 13" Pro is feeling bit dated thanks to its low-res screen and relatively high weight (other 13" laptops manage to be quite a bit lighter, particularly the Air), and I think you'll really like the extra speed that comes from having a solid state drive.

If you can swallow the $200 premium (I think that's how much more it is), go for the Air, and just get an external DVD drive if you absolutely need it for installing programs. Besides those rare occasions, optical drives are pretty much useless nowadays. Besides, if UWO is tech savvy at all, they should be giving you disk images of the software, and allowing you to download it straight onto your computer to install. Either way, an external optical drive isn't much of a hassle or a cost. Go with the computer that works better for you.

You can always purchase an external DVD drive for like $50 at any computer shop for those rare occasions when you'll need it (literally maybe once or twice a year, depending on how often you need to install things). I've owned both a Pro and an Air and at this point if you're looking at the 13" models I would go with the Air. The 13" Pro is feeling bit dated thanks to its low-res screen and relatively high weight (other 13" laptops manage to be quite a bit lighter, particularly the Air), and I think you'll really like the extra speed that comes from having a solid state drive.

If you can swallow the $200 premium (I think that's how much more it is), go for the Air, and just get an external DVD drive if you absolutely need it for installing programs. Besides those rare occasions, optical drives are pretty much useless nowadays. Besides, if UWO is tech savvy at all, they should be giving you disk images of the software, and allowing you to download it straight onto your computer to install. Either way, an external optical drive isn't much of a hassle or a cost. Go with the computer that works better for you.

Thanks for your suggestions but I think air uses flash drive and for pro you have the option to choose SSD over a normal hard drive.

Can you tell me which one lasted longer in terms of battery life after a full charge??

Thanks!!

Thanks for your suggestions but I think air uses flash drive and for pro you have the option to choose SSD over a normal hard drive.

Can you tell me which one lasted longer in terms of battery life after a full charge??

Thanks!!

SSDs are just enclosures for flash memory. The MacBook Air uses a proprietary flash memory that's soldered directly to the logic board, but it can be colloquially referred to as "solid state."

I actually had an 11.6" MacBook Air so I can't speak to the battery life of the 13" but I believe it is on par if not better than the MacBook Pro's (7 hours).

The only time I remember receiving a CD was from a second year endo course but you don't really need to use it anyways. Besides, the computer lab in med sci building (verc) is always available for you to use so I don't think it will be too problematic without one.

thanks so much for your replies!!

just a few more questions about UWO since I dont know anything about that school- do you guys have 24 hr library service? If not, are there other quiet places where you can study??

Also, how convenient is bayfield appartments aside from the fact that its 5 min walk from DSB? is it quiet and worth 800 dollars + for rent??

Please UWOers I need your inputs!

just a few more questions about UWO since I dont know anything about that school- do you guys have 24 hr library service? If not, are there other quiet places where you can study??

Also, how convenient is bayfield appartments aside from the fact that its 5 min walk from DSB? is it quiet and worth 800 dollars + for rent??

During exam time Weldon usually becomes 24/7...but Med and Dent students have their own awesome study rooms/cubicles which you can access anytime with your student card.......the seats there are soooo comfffffffffffy

During exam time Weldon usually becomes 24/7...but Med and Dent students have their own awesome study rooms/cubicles which you can access anytime with your student card.......the seats there are soooo comfffffffffffy

cool! where is this place? and is it open to med and dental students 24 hrs?

Man $800 is a bargain. Toronto is so expensive ugh lol

If you can find a roommate, the rent is 910 for two bedroom, and you can save 4-5k per year.

Archived