Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 522
ECs: Really not sure what to think. Probably average given UA's hard marking standards.

Year: 4th Year UG

Geography: IP
Interview: Felt all right. Felt confident about 6, unsure about 1, and horrible/ cringe about the last one.

Will probably be declining for Calgary, so hurray for waitlist movement. :)

Result: Accepted and will be attending as it is my top choice!!!
GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 520 (132/129/131/128)

ECs: Posted elsewhere, but varied and bizarre.

Interview: This interview was a lot of fun, especially the tour afterwards where there were only 5 of us (med students included).  It was incredible to get so much face time with current students

Because of this I am able to remain close to my family, continue my volunteerism in northern AB, work with the physicians that have mentored me, keep my house (with welding machine and shop), my wife can keep her continuing contract as a teacher, and I can do more to help out with people needing a place to live from Fort McMurray.  In a word: ideal. 

OOP

Timestamp: 10:15 AM EST

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 513

Year: 4th year UG

ECs: International volunteer and work, research no pubs, long term school clubs and volunteer, competitive and recreational sports

Interview: I felt 2 stations were great, 1 was terrible, 5 were good/okay

GPA: 3.92
MCAT: 510
ECs: Varsity athlete, coaching, research, other small things 

Year: Finishing MSc this summer

Interview: Didn't know what to think afterwards. Felt okay about it, but definitely had a few rough stations. 

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.95

ECs: diverse? lots of coaching and tutoring

Year: Graduated UG 2015

Interview: Half felt quite good, the other half were decent.

EDIT: Accepted off waitlist 8:55 AM June 1st, 2016! Extremely thankful and excited to begin my journey. Best of luck to all :D

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 3.91

ECs: tutoring, two summers research, three years volunteering at a hospital, independent research project

Year: Graduated June 2015

Interview: considering my interview score was abysmal last year (at 10.7 with average for successful applicants being 22), I'd say I've most certainly improved my performance.

I feel conflicted. Either way, I already have alternate plans of graduate studies / pharmacy school, so I don't feel hopeless. Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

Geography: IP (Been working here for a bit over a year now)
wGPA: 3.88

cGPA : 3.82

MCAT = 514 (129/127/130/128)

Interview Date: March 14th (?)

Interview Feelings: Thought it went fairly well, typical style interview to be expected, some stations were shaky (2/however many we had), 3-4 went REALLY well and some were just okay. On par with my Queens Interview

ECs: fairly extensive, varied and extremely applicable to medicine, pm for details

Year: Graduated 2014, Non-Trad Allied healthcare professional

Will be declining this offer for another school. Hope this helps those of you waiting for some good news on the wailist! U of A seemed like an amazing school and I absolutely loved their interview video and the staff during interview day. Congrats to all of you on your acceptances!

• 2 weeks later...

Result: waitlisted --> accepted at 9:53am MST on May 30th

GPA: 3.75 (4.0 final year, bumped up to 3.8)

MCAT: 514

Year: 4th IP

ECs: broad, diverse, long

Interview: I felt good about some, neutral about some, and confused about some?

So excited and humbled to have made it this far.

I keep crying. This is the most exciting day of my life so far.

Result: Waitlist (accepted at 11:53 EST on May 30th!!!)

cGPA: 3.95

MCAT: 510

Master's, OOP

Interview: I found it really tough and I wasn't sure how it went overall. Felt really good about two stations, rocky on about three, and the rest went decently.

I will be declining this offer for another school, so you OOP wait listers can expect some movement!! I was so happy to receive this offer. I really loved the school on interview day - it's hard to turn it down!!

Congrats everyone and good luck to those still waiting. Don't give up hope!

• 11 months later...

Rejected.

Guys, what did the Personal Activities thing say for you? I have a cGPA of 4.00, and my Personal Activities also 4.00. I know everyone says this, but I feel very strongly that its not a 4.00. I feel like it may be an error when inputing the GPA next to the Personal Activities score?

It says I got a Pass on the interview section and a 128.5 MCAT.