Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Waitlisted May 15, Accepted May 30 (phone call at 12:25pm, email at 1:55pm eastern)

OOP, MSc complete

GPA: 3.88 undergrad, 4.00 grad

MCAT: 31

ECs: D-I athlete, some athletic/leadership/research awards, hospital volunteering, coaching, TA

Interview: Felt really good after it, but started to doubt a few stations after we were done.

Accepting UofA! See you all in the fall!

Accepted off the waitlist

IP Bio degree just graduated

GPA= ~3.75

MCAT= 34

EC= I think pretty good. Long term leadership, youth groups, volunteering, travelling, etc

Interview= no idea how it went. I thought I was fairly well-thought out in my answers, but didn't seem to get any feedback from the interviewers and thought I stumbled over my words a few times.

So excited! I'll see you all in the fall! Best of luck to those still on the waitlist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Rejected

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 34 (PS-12 / VR-11 / BS-11)
ECs: Average for people getting accepted
Year: 4rd year undergrad
Geography: IP

Interview: felt like it went poorly. The feedback letter confirmed that haha.

For anyone wondering. Here are the average stats for those accepted:

CGPA: 3.92

Personal activities score: 10

MCAT: 11.27

Interview score: 22.02

Rejected

GPA: 3.90
MCAT: 35 (PS-12 / VR-13 / BS-10)
ECs: Slightly above average
Year: Graduated UG 2013
Geography: OOP

Interview: Felt it went well. Guess not.

Here are the average scores for the OOP pool:

CGPA: 3.95

Personal activities score: 10

MCAT: 11.86

Interview score: 21.79

Guess I'm off to do a masters degree.

Accepted!

IP - 4th year
GPA - 4.00
MCAT - 35
EC - Fairly standard across the board. Focus on medical and academic positions. Variable paid employment at uni.
INTERVIEW - Absolutely nailed it. I seriously could not think of a single station which went poorly. Felt strong even months after the interview.

Over the moon right now.

Rejected
GPA: 4
E/C: 12
MCAT: 11

MMI: TERRIBLE

Wow  :eek: 

I thought I did mediocre at my U of C interview and absolutely amazing at this one. I still don't know what I did wrong!!! I would be crushed if I didn't get into U of C. Just goes to show you MMI scoring can be random

Congrats to all accepted and for those who this was your only school KEEP TRYING

TIME STAMP: 9:05 AM - (But it just said to check the documents)
GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 14/11/12 (37)
ECs: Not great, but not bad. Some athletic hobbies, sessional work as a musician, volunteered at a mental health organization, writing grant. Only one leadership entry :|
Year: Graduated last year

IP

ACCEPTED. This was my second cycle. There is hope. I still have two schools to hear back from but I'm pumped. To the point that I don't really know what to do with myself so I'm kind of just sitting here.

edit: Oh, right, the interview. Thought it went really well. Only two stations I don't think I was particularly proud of but I felt mostly collected, and a couple were softballs because I had a lot of personal life experience related to the question. I actually got really sick halfway through the whole thing and started sweating profusely, but it worked out, so maybe I should try that in the future as a strategy.

GPA: 4.00
MCAT: 39 (12 Verbal)
ECs: Student government, Hospital Volunteering (3 years), Graphic Design (since elementary school), Founder of 2 clubs at UBC, and a few random things
Year: 4th year (graduating)

OOP

Accepted. Feeling extremely blessed right now to have received my first acceptance. 

Rejected

cGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 32 (avg. 10.67)

ECs: Poor. Hospital volunteering for 2 years, but few hours; some research

Interview: Felt horrible coming out of the interview and received a horrible score

I was expecting a rejection for months now, so I'm not too sore about my rejection. I will gladly take a year off school to gather my bearings and re-apply next year! Thanks to everyone for their help in the application cycle, and congrats to all those who got accepted! 

Accepted!

GPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 33+ 

ECs: Applied last year and was above average. 

Interview: Thought did well on most, but poorly in 2 (I was certain that I'd get rejected over these), but I guess it was good enough

Year: 4th year IP

The feeling is unbelievable. The pain of being waitlisted for 4 months last year was well worth this year's acceptance. Congrats everyone for making it this far and best of luck to all of you!

Waitlisted.

cGPA: 3.96 

MCAT: 34

ECs: Fairly standard, maybe weaker than others

Interview: Felt decent except for a couple stations.

This is my first time applying to U of A. I think it's safe to say my feelings are very conflicted right now haha. Still 2 more universities to hear back from, so hopefully something well goes there! If I get into UBC or Queen's I will be pulling my name off the waitlist.

Accepted!!

OOP

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 32

ECs: Message me!

Interview: I have to give props to UofA: I felt very comfortable during the interview process, probably due to the friendly interviewers and students, and the stations/interview process being quite well organized. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Result: Accepted
wGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 10/10/10
ECs: Non-trad with work experience in healthcare, volunteer/work experience in human rights, advocacy work, hospital volunteering, a few poster presentations (not many). 

Year: Masters/out of school and working 
Geography : IP

Interview: I thought I did well aside from one station. This was my third and last MMI of the year so I was comfortable with the process at this point.