Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted!!!!

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.96 undergrad, 3.8ish for grad studies

MCAT: 521

Degree: Bachelor and Masters in Biochemistry

E.C: Not amazing (not good enough for Western or Ottawa or UBC), lots of research, decent amount of volunteering, couple trips, arts, sports, etc. Casper did not got that well but I got in anyways. Would have prepared far better next time.

Interview: Honestly felt pretty standard and I enjoyed it. I prepped quite intensely. Didn't feel like it had a ton of curveballs either. I had 4 interviews and it was the 3rd one but I also thought it was the 3rd easiest or the easiest. Enjoyed it. Their tour was incredible as well.

Result: Accepted off waitlist May 16th

IM ECSTATIC AND SHOCKED! Will be deferring to complete my MSc so hopefully someone on the waitlist will be hearing good news! 

GPA: 3.96 undergrad

MCAT: 515

Degree: First year MSc

E.C: Work with refugees, homeless populations, orphans, Canadian Blood Services, my own initiatives, some personal adversity that has fuelled a lot of the ECs, hobbies and life experiences growing up in the Middle East

Interview: This was my first time applying and second interview after Calgary and it was everything I had prepared for and in a very familiar setting (in the Maz where I used to volunteer) so I felt like the stars had aligned LOL. It was really standard, no surprises or curveballs. I felt like I killed 4 stations, did meh on one, horrible on one and the panel was hit or miss. I felt like they were just eyeballing me with pity but that could partly be my own fault because I shared something a bit intense. One thing that I loved about uofa was the interviewers. They went out of their way to smile, engage and make you feel comfortable. 

Results: Rejected

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 518 (128 CARS)

Degree: BSc. Kin (2017)

EC: 7/17

Interview: Pass - honestly felt great coming out of this interview compared to my other interview this year but the results were flipped. A little disappointing as U of A looked like an awesome school!

Result: Accepted off waitlist May 27 10:18 am PST 

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 522

Degree: HBSc

ECs: See other posts for details. IMO pretty pre-med average, but also random. Filled all entries, and the extraneous circumstances box. 

Interview: Bombed my first station by reading it backwards, felt pretty good about the others. Panel was iffy, I felt like I couldn't get my message across and that I left the interviewers confused at the end of it. 

Edited by chiynadoll
Updated info

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.86

MCAT: 517 (130/127/132/128)

Degree: B.Sc. and finishing up Ph.D.

E.C: Mostly employment and research. Light on volunteering.

Interview: Did not feel well with the panel. Most of the stations were comfortable.

Will be accepting. See you guys in the Fall and good luck to those on the wait list. 

Result: Accepted! 

GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 505 (126 CARS)  - Yes, it's very possible to get in with a low MCAT!!

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Biology, minor in Chemistry (2013); MSc in Pathology & Laboratory Medicine (2017)

E.C: Long-term, but not overly diverse IMO. Competitive soccer player; varsity at an NCAA Div 1 school in the US for 4 years, team captain for final 2 years; Mission Trip with my soccer team, plus other volunteer work in our local community. LOTS of research; completed a thesis-based MSc and currently work as a clinical research assistant; quite a few research presentations (oral and poster, national and international conferences) and awards (including NSERC-CGS). I'm also fortunate to have 4 publications.

Interview: First interview at UofA. Really enjoyed the panel portion. I found the MMI questions much more easy to relate to than UBC's. Came out of it feeling pretty good... a few stations definitely felt better than others, but overall it was a positive experience!

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted today! I will likely be turning down this offer to attend Calgary (wanting to stay closer to home), so hopefully this helps someone on the waitlist!! :)

Long, long time lurker... and first time poster! This is my third cycle applying to medical schools across Canada. The first time (2016) I was rejected from 6 schools post-interview, the second time I was waitlisted to U of A but never got off the waitlist. I then took a year off from applying to graduate from my Physiotherapy degree and work for a bit to save up money and gain experience. AND I FINALLY RECEIVED MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE TODAY. I am still in shock, this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life, and there were so many times where I questioned if I was good enough and debated giving up. To all those that didn't receive good news today, please don't give up on your dreams! Trust me, it will be worth it.

GPA: 3.99 for U of A

MCAT: 514 (127/130/128/129)

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (2016), Masters of Science in Physical Therapy (Dec 2018)

E.C: Variety, I have worked as a Physical Therapist in a hospital in Calgary for the past 5 months, I compete in Powerlifting (have competed at the national and world level for Team Canada), was on the University rowing and swimming team, President of 2 clubs in university, Medical Volunteer trip to Nepal, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Hungry, etc. Random summer jobs (Starbucks, Earl's, Ringette Referee, Stampede, etc.) Haven't done any research (which is something my application has always been missing).

Interview: Very hard to tell, I have had so many interviews and have been unsuccessful at all of them so I never get my hopes up anymore. I just tried to be myself. Interviews have always been the weakest part of my application. I am very social and able to make friends and connections with my patients, but something about bragging about myself has always been uncomfortable for me. My first round of applying, I didn't practice at all and was always concerned about feeling too conceited. I have learnt the hard way that you can't be successful in Med school interviews trying to be modest. The past few years I have practiced talking about my accomplishments with confidence and not trying to down play them, which has finally paid off! I also was able to draw examples from patient encounters with most questions which I think really benefitted me.

I have been waitlisted to Calgary, and am waiting to hear from a few Ontario schools tomorrow, so haven't quite made a decision yet, but SO SO excited to finally be able to say I did it after all this time. Congratulations to everyone else that has gotten accepted, especially those that have taken multiple years like myself. And once again, to those that haven't gotten accepted, I know the feeling, but please don't let it define you. I believe in you!!!!!

Edit: Ended up getting accepted to 4 schools and 1 waitlist, but have made the decision to accept U of A! So excited to meet you all in August!!!

Result: Accepted. (After 2 rejections and one waitlist, I can't believe I'm finally writing that!)

GPA: 3.89

MCAT: 511

Degree: BSc; MPH

E.C: Strong on employment (worked in private, non-profit, government, and university settings), strong on leadership (long term, being responsible for a large number of people, starting initiatives), relatively weak on volunteering (one hospital-based, others through the university helping various student demographics; some long-term, but not too many hours), strong on life experiences (two based on life-long passions, one based on a desire to learn, one based on a desire to bring change).

Interview: I was not very happy with my performance, but perhaps I was judging myself too harshly.

Congratulations to those accepted, patience to those waitlisted, and strength to those who didn't get in this time!

Long time lurker here. Still in shock and can’t believe I’m finally posting this! This is my third application cycle and third interview (but first at U of A). I honestly started to believe that this would never happen!

GPA: 3.70

MCAT: 504 - proof you can get in with a low MCAT!!

Degree: Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences

E.C: Very long-term with some diversity. Competitive dancing for most of my life, very involved with a charity organization (both raising money and running programs) for over 10 years, founded and held many positions in Rotary/Rotaract clubs since 2011, organized various charity events (benefit concerts, youth conferences, etc) 5 years of hospital volunteering, dance teaching assistant, etc. I also included some of my hobbies and passions in the life events section (ie art and multimedia) and a personal struggle. In terms of employment, I currently work as a full time clinical research assistant and part time dance teacher (for 6 years). 

Interview: First interview at U of A. I have to say that I really enjoyed this interview! This was my third interview (also interviewed at UBC and Calgary this cycle) and this one was by far my favourite. It was shorter than Calgary which was nice, and more straight forward than UBC. The MMI questions were easy to relate to, the interviewers were friendly, and I had a chance in most stations to share a bit about myself. I also enjoyed the panel, although it did throw me off a bit to go from a panel straight back into the MMI portion. Overall I felt it was my best interview. 

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! And my advice to anyone who didn’t get the result they wanted today.. keep fighting and don’t give up if this is what you want. All you need is one yes :) 

GPA: 3.76 :) 

MCAT: 518 

Degree: Bachelor of Arts, Masters

E.C: Very non-traditional. Message me for details. 

Interview: Felt pretty good! First time interviewing. 

To those with a low GPA: I got 4 interviews and 3 offers of admissions. Don't give up hope and know that you can do it!! :) 

GPA: Less than 3.5 (undergrad) ....I know right! 

MCAT: 506

Degree: BSc and MSc

E.C: Volunteer with youth, sports and coach and lifeguarding. Last year, I also got an interview.

Interview: This was my second interview at U of A, after being on the waitlist for U of C in 2017 (no subsequent interviews there)! Last year, I was likely low on the list as I was offered an interview after the original offers came out, so I was already lacking confidence going into it. This year, I just went in and was myself. I approached it with the attitude that if they don't like me, I m not going to fit in here. During the interview, it felt really good and afterward I remember second guessing everything I said.

Seriously, this process is so subjective and long! Keep your chin up and surround yourself with encouraging friends. Good luck everyone and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Result: Rejection
GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 509

Current Degree: UG complete 2016
Geography (IP/OOP):  IP

ECs: 5/17

Thought I would have scored higher here as I am a bit older of an applicant with very diverse and demanding work experience, long term volunteering and research experience. I'm surprised I even got an interview being that low.

Interview: Pass.     

Not sure what the best next step is. I am planning to do a masters degree this fall and possibly apply again but I'm not convinced that a master's degree will make up for my lower GPA. I'm tempted to apply again next cycle but I would not want to bail half way through a master's degree. 

GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 521 (129/130/130/132)

Degree: 4th year undergrad

E.C: Honestly I didn't think I'd get in because I thought my ECs were weak but I guess not! Standard work in retail for a few years, one summer of research (no pubs at the time of application), couple of years of volunteer tutoring, a few isolated activities, also included some personal experiences! 

Interview: This was my first year interviewing, luckily U of A was my third and final interview. I felt as though the mmi went well with a couple of stations that were particularly strong. Thought I totally messed up the panel.

I am absolutely thrilled!!! I didn't have any idea what I was going to do next if I didnt get in, I feel truly blessed and lucky! U of A was my first choice and my only offer of admission (waitlisted at U of C). 

GPA: 3.95+

MCAT: 520+

Degree: UG

E.C: Filled up completely, included a few hobbies and smaller activities to show breadth

Interview: MMI felt really solid, the panel felt very structured. Interviewers were very kind, as were the medical students

Will be declining

Result: Waitlisted

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.50

MCAT: 524

Degree: BSc Math, BSc Psyc

EC: not very good, decided to apply only 3 years ago, ~2000 hr clinical job, president of a club, tutor, recreational sports and music, computer programming, 1.3 years of research, some abstracts no paper out yet.

Interview: Thought I killed the panel since I have a very specific reason for doing medicine, MMIs were meh, thought I bombed 1 or 2

Congrats to those accepted and keep your chin up everyone else! The first years at interview said if you got this far, you will eventually get in!

On 5/14/2019 at 7:12 AM, Dragonfly_19 said:

Interview: First interview at U of A. I have to say that I really enjoyed this interview! This was my third interview (also interviewed at UBC and Calgary this cycle) and this one was by far my favourite. It was shorter than Calgary which was nice, and more straight forward than UBC. 

How did you interview at UBC if your GPA is 3.7, which is below the OOP requirement for UBC (which is approximately 3.8)

Result: Waitlisted initially, accepted May 22 1:28 p.m.

GPA: 4.0 - I think there is a different conversion here 

MCAT: 524

Degree: BMSc Phys/Pharm

EC: Fairly diverse, sports, research, clinical volunteering, and a couple unique

Interview: Panel was actually pretty rough, not what I expected. Some MMIs were right up my alley, a couple were iffy. 

Congrats to those accepted, I am now in the situation where I have to make a decision between this and staying in Ontario. Incredibly grateful for this situation, absolutely loved UofA! 

Result: Accepted off waitlist, May 23 10:00 am

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 517 (127/131/130/129)

Degree: BSc (this year)

ECs: Research, volunteering (hospital and first aid), tutoring, some instrument playing, sports, and writing - pretty typical stuff

Interview: I actually thought it went terrible. For anyone who might be looking back on this next cycle (like I was a few months ago) - I'm here to give you hope, post-interview. I finished each station with almost 2 minutes left, and felt like everything I said was either the standard answer, or below average. I also got pretty flustered in the panel and finished like 5 minutes early, and just moved on to chatting with the interviewers, instead of going back and strengthening my answer. I felt so dumb afterwards, and thought I definitely blew it, that I skipped the tour and question period afterwards to go and cry in the cafeteria. Just goes to show you never really know what they're looking for, and to never count yourself out of the running!

Congrats to everyone accepted, and stay strong, my fellow waitlisters! I'm waiting to hear back from Calgary before I make the final decision, but I hope to see some of you around!