Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted (Will be removed)

Completed UG

GPA - 3.8-3.9 - weighted

MCAT - 33-36

ECs - tough to judge

Interview - I thought it went well but there were two stations where it seemed like I didn't connect with the interviewer at all

I'm taking an offer at U of C. Good luck to all those on the waitlist.

Waitlisted (OOP)

gpa 3.96

Mcat 32

Ec: prob pretty good, got a 9 last year

Interview: some good stns some bad stns. Overall prob just average.

U of a is the only school I got interview from...I'm praying now..

Do you think my chance is good or bad?

Accepted

Graduated

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 34

EC: I think I scored around at average

Interview: My strongest part. I interviewed last year and did pretty bad (rejected). I prepped hard for two months with a friend and did amazing this year. Literally every station went really REALLLY well. If you prep properly you can definitely do extremeley well on the MMI.

Regrets

Graduated

GPA - 3.7

MCAT - 31

ECs - must've been above average to get an interview in the first place :)

Interview - felt like it went pretty well

Not super surprised to not get the offer as I wasn't expecting an interview at all!

Rejected :(

4th Yr IP

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 32 (8VR-12-12)

EC: probably average low-ish

Interview: It was my very first interview and U of A is the only school i applied this year. I felt like i did well on half of the stations, but bombed the other half.

I Will definitely be applying next year and take a year off to build upon my EC.

Also, any suggestions as to whether i should retake my MCAT this year? or perhaps my time will be better spent doing extracurricular things?

I guess I should post here....

Rejected:rolleyes:

3rd year IP

GPA: 3.94 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 14/12/13

EC's: See the other threads if interested

Interview: I thought it went okay... I interviewed here last year and still had no luck... Well whatever!

Also, the previous poster wit a 3.98 from an engineering degree:eek:

Your amazing!

I should update this - Accepted off waitlist! Dream come true.

IP - BA, BSc (after degree)

GPA - 3.76

MCAT - 31

EC - Slightly above average, medical and non-traditional

Interview - Felt pretty good, way better than last year at least.

Past result - waitlisted.

Very much hoping the list moves enough for me this year. ;)

Congrats to everyone accepted so far! Good luck to my fellow waitlisters, and better luck next year to those rejected.

Accepted! :D

IP - 4th Year BSc

GPA - 3.83

MCAT: 35

EC - Above average, lots and diverse

Interview - Felt it went great, confident coming out

Got accepted at Calgary as well, but will most likely will be accepting this offer. Good luck to waitlisters, I was there last year and I know it can be tough.

Accepted

IP, 1 year after graduating with a BSc

GPA 3.86

MCAT 35

ECs: Was given a below average score for last year, so I would imagine only slightly better this time (volunteered abroad for a while)

Interview: Felt really good about some stations, but there were a couple I did pretty poorly in.

This was my third time going through the process, so persistence can pay off!

Oh and I was also waitlisted in Calgary, even though I thought I had a better chance there.

Waitlisted!

IP, graduated this year with BSc in Biology

GPA ~3.7

MCAT 34 (13V, 12B, 9P)

ECs: Not sure, but I think strong. Long term including youth group leader, piano. A lot of church involvement, living in a foreign country, some house building in poverty areas.

Interview: I thought it went well but got no feedback from the interviewers, so we'll see when they release the scores.

Hope I'm high on the list. Just so you all know, Calgary is probably a way better school, so you should go there if you got accepted... ;)

rejected

3rd year ip? or oop? has to be ip, i think (lived all my life until 1st year of uni in Medicine Hat)

gpa: 3.94

mcat: 31

ecs: mehhh

interview: some were good, some mehh, and 2 bad

i figured i didn't have a good chance; meanwhile, i shall continue 2nd year of pharm at ubc.

Accepted

IP - BA 4th year

GPA - 3.81

MCAT - 32

EC - Average (last year they were average, haven't changed much since then)

Interview - Last year I was in the bottom 10% for the interview. I think I must have improved a great deal this year. :) Overall, it felt much better this year.

Accepted!

IP - B.Comm, B.Ed (very much non-trad. Just turned 37.)

GPA - 3.64

MCAT - 36

EC - Slightly above average, if the past two years' rejection letters are anything to go by.

INTERVIEW - Thought it was decent, but had really no way to gauge it. Looks like it was good enough to offset my GPA.

I'm still in shock, thinking about my teaching career ending in less than two months. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

I was told the average med student applies 2.7 times before getting in. Pretty much bang on!

Haven't seen any 2nd years on here yet... thought I might as well add my stats for anyone who's curious!

Accepted

2nd Year IP

GPA - 3.97

MCAT - 37

ECs - Pretty unconventional with barely anything med-related. Student governance, leadership, speech arts and drama, business and finance-related work, tutoring, and general volunteering with student groups and hospitals. No research :eek:

Interview - Did well on half of the stations, the others I felt were mediocre. Utterly bombed 1 station.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Accepted on May. 15.

OOP from BC

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 35+

EC's: Volunteering in healthcare, teaching, music, little research, etc...

Interview: Thought it was my worst one. It was early in the morning when I interviewed and everything I read and said was a blur. My interviewers seemed extremely friendly though, so I felt very relaxed.

I have just declined this offer in favour of UBC. U of A is a great school but I guess I'd rather stay closer to home. Hope someone on the waitlist will be very happy with my decision!:)