Premed 101 Forums
Guest Ian Wong

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

On 5/13/2019 at 12:13 PM, GHouse said:

I'll start for this year

Result: Rejected

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 513, 128 in Cars

Degree: HBSc conferred in 2017

E.C: 10/17, though 12/17 was highest for the cycle so happy about that! A few research projects (no pubs), academic awards and lots of extra curricular activities in undergrad. Post grad, worked at some of the largest start ups in North America and now run my own company. Definitely gained a lot by doing some work post grad, initially was to complete my MPH but will now be doing my MBA.

Interview: Felt pretty good about the majority of the stations. The panel did catch me a tad off guard given the format. Had lost my voice for the entire weekend so happy I pushed through and will relegate my performance to that (rationalization at its finest)

Thanks for all the support on this platform, will be accepting an offer for a medical school in States, so probably no more posts on here for a while, atleast until residency time!

Hey, congratulations on your acceptance in the States. Not sure if you will check this again in time but what university did you apply to? I have been really discouraged to apply to the States coz people keep saying that it is next to impossible if you're not from the States

On 5/15/2019 at 8:50 AM, aquababe123 said:

Result: Accepted

Geography: IP

GPA: Less than 3.5 (undergrad) ....I know right! 

MCAT: 506

Degree: BSc and MSc

E.C: Volunteer with youth, sports and coach and lifeguarding. Last year, I also got an interview.

Interview: This was my second interview at U of A, after being on the waitlist for U of C in 2017 (no subsequent interviews there)! Last year, I was likely low on the list as I was offered an interview after the original offers came out, so I was already lacking confidence going into it. This year, I just went in and was myself. I approached it with the attitude that if they don't like me, I m not going to fit in here. During the interview, it felt really good and afterward I remember second guessing everything I said.

Seriously, this process is so subjective and long! Keep your chin up and surround yourself with encouraging friends. Good luck everyone and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Congratulations!!! I am also IP and have a pretty similar GPA and MCAT score but I just finished my undergrad (will be starting Masters in September). Any tips on how to write the E.C. component? I have some very strong and some weak ones.. Some of my stronger ones are a bit old unfortunately :/ I applied this year and got a 6/17. I am re-writing the MCAT so hopefully that can boost my overall score but my E.C. will also need to be much higher 

Result: Accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning!

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.43 (...I know, still reeling from even being considered)

MCAT: 509

Degree: BSc and MPH 

EC: If you want more specific information on this, feel free to contact me but I think this is the part of my application that’s my saving grace considering low GPA and MCAT. I have extensive (~8 years) community outreach volunteering and work experience, particularly with marginalized populations. I have been working for the public service (legislation) for about 2 years now since finishing grad school.

Interview: This is my second year interviewing at the U of A (my 4th time applying). I was waitlisted last year, with no luck. So super stoked to have gotten off the waitlist this year and am really looking forward to meeting others in the Fall!! 

For those still on the waitlist, or reapplying, don’t give up!!!! It WILL happen for you, keep persevering and have faith!

7 hours ago, nevergiveup1 said:

EC: If you want more specific information on this, feel free to contact me but I think this is the part of my application that’s my saving grace considering low GPA and MCAT. I have extensive (~8 years) community outreach volunteering and work experience, particularly with marginalized populations. I have been working for the public service (legislation) for about 2 years now since finishing grad school.

Interview: This is my second year interviewing at the U of A (my 4th time applying). I was waitlisted last year, with no luck. So super stoked to have gotten off the waitlist this year and am really looking forward to meeting others in the Fall!! 

For those still on the waitlist, or reapplying, don’t give up!!!! It WILL happen for you, keep persevering and have faith!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And thanks for your motivating words :)

am also IP and have a slightly higher GPA and lower MCAT score. I just finished my undergrad (will be starting MPH in September). Any tips on how to write the E.C. component? I have some very strong and some weak ones.. Some of my stronger ones are a bit old unfortunately :/ I applied this year and got a 6/17. I am re-writing the MCAT so hopefully that can boost my overall score but my E.C. will also need to be much higher. 

Result: Accepted off the waitlist today 

GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 524

Degree: BSc x 2

EC: Was not planning on going into medicine when I did my first undergrad, so severely lacking until more recently. I was always interested in learning new things: I learned the piano and a couple of sports on my own, learned computer programming on my own. Cookie cutter ECs: project manager for a club, VP and president of a club, research assistant for 1 year + 1 summer. Was a private tutor, volunteer coach, etc. Clinical employment for 3 years.

Truly, I think the best way to approach ECs is to do something you are passionate about regardless of whether it pertains to medicine. Of course, I think having medically related experiences help you to flesh out your reasons and determination for medicine.

Interview: Thought I killed the panel because I have a very specific reason for medicine with a strong personal experience. MMIs were hit and miss but I am in general pretty good at interacting with people. Probably bombed 1 to 3 stations

Don't give up guys! This is a project and I was ready to reapply again but make sure you do something else as well. I think you should have a backup career in mind and to work towards it. Not only does this give you a fall back but through the process, you gain skills and experiences for your application.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, nevergiveup1 said:

I just wanted to say as a fellow MPH graduate congratulations!

- G