Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Out of Province

GPA: 3.85/4.00

MCAT: PS,VR,BS,W - 10,11,13,Q - 34Q

Autobiographical Sketch - Volunteering, some fun and interesting jobs, extracurricular activities, involvement in the arts, nothing out of the ordinary really.

Interviewed: Memorial, Dalhousie, Queen's, Western, U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

Waitlisted: Queens

Accepted: Memorial, Dalhousie, Western (London Campus), U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

I will be accepting Western.

IP

GPA: 3.8ish

MCAT: 11/12/T/14

EC's: Not great, had a job with the health region, did some volunteering there, taught a tutorial in human genetics, some musical things

Applied: BC/Calgary/Alberta/Sask/Manitoba

Interviewed: Calgary/Alberta/Manitoba

Accepted: Manitoba

Waitlisted: Calgary/Alberta

Alberta is my first choice, and I'll definitely be attending! See ya next semester!

Just found out I got off the alternate list. I'm an OOP applicant with a 3-year B.Sc.

GPA: Not sure what scale Alberta uses, but I had 3.99 on the OMSAS scale.

MCAT: 36S (PS-15 VR-9 BS-12)

ECs: Not much. Some hospital volunteering, high school sports, quite a few scholarships, fair amount of research etc. Nothing spectacular.

I was accepted IP at Manitoba. I'll probably stay IP, so a spot will likely open up at Alberta. I'm also waitlisted at Queens.

Off the waitlist yesterday!

GPA: 3.61 (yeah!)

MCAT: 36R

EC's: Alright, a couple summers as a research monkey, volunteering with peeps with mobility issues for 1.5 years, went on exchange, assorted randomness. Engineering degree!

Applied: U of C, U of A, Queens, UWO

Interviewed: U of C and U of A

Waitlisted then accepted: U of C and U of A.

I'm most likely going to U of A but I'm getting seriously serious about the decision this weekend.

Sorry this is late!!! But wanted to confirm everything before I posted stuff:

E-mail in the morning of the 15th

IP 3rd year applicant

Applied: UBC, USask, UOttawa, UofA, UofC, UofT, Queen's

Interviewed: Queen's, UofA, UofC

Waitlisted: Queen's, UofC

Waitlisted then Accepted: UofC

Accepted on the 15th: UofA

I will be attending the UofA

cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 34Q (with a 31Q [10-10-11-Q] the first time I wrote it) 12-9-13-Q

ECs: lots of leadership (i think this is what got me in, but who knows what actually goes on behind those doors), 5 years of hospital volunteering, 3 summers of research

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an Alberta resident who just completed 3rd year of undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.9 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: R

I was accepted off the waitlist by Alberta this morning. This is my first time applying to this school.

I'll be accepting the offer (and I'm ridiculously excited right now).

My extracurriculars are a little subpar. Limited volunteering. My work experience strengthened it a little - I've done research for a year, worked for Calgary Health Region the year before, and worked assisting students in residence for a year.

• 1 month later...

YE YEEE! I JUST GOT IN OFF THE WAITLIST FOR UofA!! OMG SO PUMPED. I've been lurking on these forums everyday for the past 4 months LOL! I'm so happy to be able to make one of these posts! :D It sucks being on the waitlist for this long hoping for a small glimmer of hope but it is definitely worth it!!!!

Diane just phoned me about an hour ago saying there was a spot open! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Definiately Accepting! OMG I am so priviledged to join such a great class and school! Woot!! :eek: I can't believe this day has finally come. I made all my plans for next year to graduate and sorted out all my courses!

Stats:

3rd Year IP

GPA: 3.91

MCAT: 33T (12BS/12PS/9VR/T)

Extracurriculars: AHFMR Biomedical Research position in the summer (had my own project), Volunteering @ Nursing Home, Competitive Ice hockey (10 years)... can anybody spell future Icebowl MVP ??? j/k :cool: , Competitive Outdoor Soccer (11 years), Grade 10 Piano (10 years), Musical Theory and Harmony (5 years), Singing Lessons (1 year), worked in a clinic helping physicians with files, lots of random clubs, intramural ball/ice hockey teams etc.

Interview: Felt it went really really good! I was really comfortable and I had a blast with it. Had a few good laughs with many of the interviewers.

Schools Applied: UofC, UofA, UBC, a few ontario ones

Interviewed: UofC, UofA

Waitlisted: UofC, UofA

Accepted: UofA (Grr... my score for UofC = 66.21, cutoff for admission 66.31)

Final Note: Get ready to get owned in Super Smash Brothers! :D

• 8 months later...

4th Year IP

3.81 cGPA

39R (14-11-14)

2nd time applying - last year I was flat out rejected by U of A and U of C

This year, I applied to: U of A, U of C, UBC, U of M

Interviewed: U of A, U of C, U of M

Accepted: U of A, U of C

Waiting on U of M

ECs: Varsity athlete, volunteering non-hospital but healthcare related, summer of research and 4th year thesis.

I felt like the U of A interview was very challenging but it apparently worked out and I will be going! Good luck to those on the waitlist and to those who were not so lucky this year, don't give up. ReDOMption is sweet.

I'm a in province resident in my third year of undergrad (major biosci and minor linguistics- heh). My GPA was ~3.9 (?) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Written Sample: ®

I was accepted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

I applied to U of T, McMasters, Queens, U of A, U of C, UBC

Accepted for Interview: Queens, U of A, U of C

Offers of Admission: Queens, U of A, U of C

I don't know where I should go, there are plus points for all of them. Suggestions?

Accepted

4th year IP

cGPA: 3.83

MCAT: (10-11-9)Q

ECs: 5 years of research, hospital volunteer position, library reading program volunteer

Applied: UBC, U of A, U of C, Western, U of T, Queens, and McMaster

Interview: U of A, U of C

Rejected from: U of C

Accepted from: U of A

Of all the schools I applied to U of A was my first choice, so I was elated when I saw the acceptance email. However, I was some what flabbergasted that I was accepted at the U of A and failed to even be wait-listed at the U of C. Likely it was my poor performance on the written portion of the U of C interview that sealed my fate.

I'm a in province resident in my third year of undergrad (major biosci and minor linguistics- heh). My GPA was ~3.9 (?) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Written Sample: ®

I was accepted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

I applied to U of T, McMasters, Queens, U of A, U of C, UBC

Accepted for Interview: Queens, U of A, U of C

Offers of Admission: Queens, U of A, U of C

I don't know where I should go, there are plus points for all of them. Suggestions?[/quote

Kingston is a beautiful city and if you wanted to go MOTP to pay for your medicine (thats what I am doing), there is a Canadian forces base right in town.

Everyone who is accepted should seriously looked at paying for medicine by going through the military. They pay you 50 grand a year on top of paying for your tuition. All you have to do is serve for 4 years after you graduate while making sick coin and building government pension and benefits. Its good if you want to do family medicine

In Province

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 30R

.... 6th year student? Bachelor of Fine Art's in Photography, plus a 3 semesters of a BSc. started in 2009

No Research

EC's - variety of volunteer work, but not excessive, more or less a lot of job experience as a photographer. Not a whole lot of time being a single parent.

First time applying, rejected at the U of C.

Thought I bombed the interview... guess not!

Good Luck everyone! Can't wait to meet my future classmates!

Waitlisted

4+++ year IP

cGPA: 3.86

MCAT: 31S

3 years research, odd jobs, sports and non-health-related volunteering.

I'm also on the UofC waitlist.... very nervous (and frustrated!) about being moved on both simultaneously. A game of odds and flash decision-making...?

GPA: <3.5

MCAT: 35Q

ECs: varied between school and work stuff- but i likely scored high in order to get an interview

interview: thought it went pretty well but not amazing. I did use 4+ prompts at two stations but got good feedback on those so I don't think the rumors about prompts hurting your score were totally accurate.

I also know I musta caught some lucky breaks along the way so definitely appreciate the opportunity. To those who are waitlisted or got declined, if you got this far, you can do it again next year, and hopefully will catch the break or two you need (and try to get feedback of course). Gluck

I was also accepted at UC and have no clue where I will go. Plan to research a ton this upcoming week.