Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

4th year IP. BSc Honors. Rejected in Alberta last year.

Applied: Ontario, UofC and UofA

Interviewed: NOSM, UofA, UofC, UofO

Rejected: NOSM, UofO

Waitlisted: UofC

Accepted: UofA

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 29R (10/8/R/11)

ECs and awards: I scored high when I reviewed my application last year and improved on it. Awards and summer jobs helped. Had a thesis project.

Interview was good for about 5/8 stations. Probably sounded like a stuttering idiot in at least 2. Used minimal prompts.

UofA is my first choice and I will be going there. For all those deciding on schools, I suggest you look at clerkship opportunities, number of Tim Horton's on campus and proximity to family/friends. Make decisions based on where you'd be happy.

Accepted IP, 4th year applicant

GPA breakdown per year:

Year 1 = 3.88

Year 2 = 3.30 (Dropped)

Year 3 = 3.63

Year 4 = 3.97 (Hadn't completed at the time of application)

GPA = 3.77

MCAT (11P/10V/R/12B) = 33R

Had some stellar references.

This was my first time applying. I applied to UBC IP, UofC IP and UofA IP and only interviewed at UofA. There's two things I'd like to recommend to people applying: Apply a year before you want to get in, and RESEARCH everything you can about the process. I didn't discover this site until after I had submitted my applications. By the time I did the UofA application form, I finally realized i needed to describe myself in a way that's attractive to the adcom. If I had done my research before hand or applied for the hell of it the year before, I might have had a better shot at the other schools. Finally, I can't stress how important the interview is. I practiced for weeks. I found every practice question i could and had a friend print them off for me so I wouldn't see them. Then I went through >20 questions in an actual timed environment over the next two weeks. Every time, my practicing partner gave my feedback on my word choice, idiosyncratic things that I do when I'm nervous, and I really worked on structuring my answers so that I didn't repeat myself or come off less than confident. I read Doing Right (recommended) and kept up on current events.

My ECs were probably my worst part. Big Brother for 4 months, Genetics competition (8months), Shotokan Karate (1 year), Study Buddy, and a leadership position at my job (8mths). I also had some other job experiences before university. During the application year, I really stepped up my game and added about 7 items to the application. However I got in without ever volunteering in a hospital or doing research. Its not what you've done, but rather showing the adcom that those items are meaningful to you, and were influential in your personal development.

If you didn't make it this time around, keep at it. Getting in justifies every sacrifice you've ever made to make your dream a reality. Good luck everybody. :)

First Time Applying

4 + year IP

applied at: NOSM, Queen's, ontario, McMaster, UofC, UofA

Interviewed: UofA

Rejected: All :(

Will be trying again next year and will wait to see my rejection stats to see what I can improve on.

Accepted at UofA 4th year In-province, wait-listed at uofc

Applied last year as well, and was rejected by UofA/UofC

cGPA - 3.93

MCAT - 36R

Extra-curricular - according to last year's rejection stats it was above average (long term commitments in coaching, hospital experience as a security guard, research at a drug lab, big brother, physio assistant... etc)

Previous application cycle I performed terribly at the MMI's... I was determined not to make the same mistake twice.

Good luck to future applicants, especially the re-applicants, it hurts like a mofo for the first few days but your tenacity in the future will be rewarded.

4th year IP

GPA- 3.85

MCAT- 38R (13P 12VR 13B)

ECs- Lots of travel, worked overseas in oilfield, research field assistant job, executive of a large student group, volunteered at elementary schools.

Interviewed- U of A, U of C

I used all 4 prompts at almost every single station, and often had 15-30 seconds of silence at the end. One of the most helpful experiences in all of my ECs was interviewing candidates for membership in a student group. After hearing the same spiel from each person over and over again, I got a really good sense of what sounded good to an interviewer and what made them want to claw their eyes out with their pencil from sheer boredom.

Accepted at both, will be going to U of A.

4th year IP bcomm

34Q 13-10-11

Cgpa 3.88

3.15-3.8-3.97-3.76

applied to u of c and u of a, accepted at both

EC- summer research, childrens coach, international sports, construction business, little er volunteering

I have never spent more than one year in a uni program and when I first decided to apply I thought I would just be feeling it out for next year. So glad I won't be doing a CA. No idea where I will be going...

4th year IP Applicant - BSc in Neuroscience

cGPA: 3.92, at time of application, 3.93

MCAT = 38P, 15B, 13P, 10V, P

Applied = McMaster, Queens, Toronto, Western, U of C, U of A

Interviewed = U of C and U of A

Accepted = U of A

Waitlisted = U of C

Thought the interview went quite well. Used most of the prompting questions most of the time. I don't know if that matters a ton.

Good ecs, lots of volunteer work, some research experience, LDS mission, etc.

Accepted to UofA

GPA ~3.75

MCAT 36S (14/10/12/S)

EC: international volunteering, clubs/execs, sports, teaching and research job

Applied everywhere almost

Interviewed: Alberta, Queens, Toronto, Manitoba

Accepted: Albeta, Queens, Manitoba

Waitlisted: Toronto

Will be accepting UofA later today!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late post, I have been traveling for 2 months now.

Here are the results:

Accepted: U of T, UBC, U of A, U of C.

Waitlisted: Queens.

Was REALLY hard to choose between UBC and U of T, but in the end I chose U of T because they gave me more information about their program and they have so many affiliated hospitals right on site.

Stats: 1 first author pub in high impact journal, 3.85 U of C GPA, 3.80 OMSAS GPA, 33R MCAT, 2 years working as an MOA in medical clinic, 2 summers research, lots of life experience.

Hope the waitlist keeps moving for you all!

Accepted to U of A off of the waitlist.

4th year OOP

GPA 4.0

12/9/14/T

Typical activities with some research experience.

I felt I completely bombed the interview to the point where I couldn't even understand myself. Perhaps a sign of hope for some.

I will be declining this offer.

OOP

GPA:3.95

MCAT-35Q

EC-Have some long term research experiences,but no publications,leadership experience,some academic awards,and other volunteer experience

Interview-didnt know what to think,felt I performed well at some stations while not so well at others.Always used every prompt at each station and still had some time to spare.

Will likely be declining this offer though.

Got in off the waitlist June 2

4th year IP

3.88 GPA, 34R, reasonably strong and diverse ECs. Thought the interview went absolutely terrible but I just tried to answer the questions and not overthink them. My answers were boring and generic and I actually stopped myself 2 minutes into one station and asked the interviewer to start again because I thought my response was so bad. But apparently good enough!

Cheers to all of the U of A forum posters who have been here for me and others during my 3 year stint. I'm looking forward to passionately embracing every last one of you.

Finally get to post on this acceptance forum!! OOP student, and second time applying to Med.

Interviewed at: Mcgill, U of A, Dalhousie, and UBC

Wailisted: U of A, Mcgill, and Dalhousie

Accepted: U of A

Stats:

GPA: 3.87

MCAT:33Q

Lots of extracurricular activities, from volunteering abroad to leadership positions in sports, society executive, and 2 publications from my honours research project. Some of these results were presented in international research symposiums.

For everybody else out there still in the struggle, keep at it and don't give up! I have also been in your shoes. :)

Wow, I'm SSSSSOOOO happy right now.... Just got accepted off the waitlist IP 4th year

Cgpa 3.80, MCAT 33Q, good EC's and I thought the interview went well considering this is my second round!

Will definitely be accepting and declining U of S, see ya'll in the fall!!

• 11 months later...