Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia Elective - Queen's vs. Mac?

Hey,

I'm attempting to decide between doing 2 week anesthesia electives at either Mac or Queen's this fall. I can only do one due to the usual elective scheduling complications. Can anyone comment on these programs? Probably would be a bit easier to get around Kingston, since you can walk, but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kingston is a quaint town. It's not my favourite city, but I know many students here who are very happy. It's got a very small-town feel to it. Hamilton is kinda ugly, but there are nice parts of it as well. And in terms of location, Hamilton is pretty damn good -- <1 hour to Toronto with a lot of public transit options, close to USA border etc. And oddly enough, no one likes Hamilton when they first visit, but after an unknown amount of time, you begin to fall in love.

For electives, just go where you can. You can judge the programs for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd go somewhere else, since Kingston and Hamilton are both crap cities.

Where you live during residency is almost as important as the program you train in. As long as you're not in a program that fails residents yearly at the Royal College exams, the major determinant for happiness is the city in which you live.

I like Kingston. Toronto on the other hand...

To each his own.

Mac: 24h call WITH obstetrics, Queen's: 16h call with pre/post call day off...

Trying to stay objective here...

I'm being just as honest: when you're doing an elective, the idea of having "personal time" should go out the window. It's a try-out. You're there for just 2-4 weeks...you can chill when you're post carms.

Archived