Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

You're right, I apologize. I guess the admission process and whole experience of this is so nervewracking that I truly can't believe that I may have a decent chance. I've seen the admission averages but I've also had several premeds tell me about how Mac and Queen's can be super unpredictable for people with super crazy GPAs and that you never really have a good shot at them so I guess I was just trying to get a feel for how confidently people were predicting Mac's metrics for giving interviews.

Thanks for the response, and for the record I felt great about my Cars score, less so about my GPA, but I see I still stand a good shot. I honestly was just less familiar with Mac's process for giving out interviews and admissions since I always hear about Western and U of T.

Don't feel bad, you have a lot to be proud about. We've all had that anxiety at one point or another where we didn't feel like we were good enough, and there's a lot of us in the middle of this cycle who still feel anxious. Yes there are people with good GPAs who don't get into Mac, but that's because Mac standardizes their scores and all of the GPAs are clustered in the 3.9+ area. Having a 130 CARS makes an arguably bigger impact on your pre-interview score than a 4.0 GPA. CASPER is also a big deal as well, and lots of people screw up on that. We can't tell you how you did on CASPER, but that 130 CARS gives you a damn good chance at Mac, and your MCAT overall gives you a damn good chance at pretty much every other school.

You're right, I apologize. I guess the admission process and whole experience of this is so nervewracking that I truly can't believe that I may have a decent chance. I've seen the admission averages but I've also had several premeds tell me about how Mac and Queen's can be super unpredictable for people with super crazy GPAs and that you never really have a good shot at them so I guess I was just trying to get a feel for how confidently people were predicting Mac's metrics for giving interviews.

Thanks for the response, and for the record I felt great about my Cars score, less so about my GPA, but I see I still stand a good shot. I honestly was just less familiar with Mac's process for giving out interviews and admissions since I always hear about Western and U of T.

Glad to hear that. My point was not to make you feel bad, but more so to encourage you to break out of the paranoia cycle of thinking you have no chances and just relax, and see what happens in January

Don't feel bad, you have a lot to be proud about. We've all had that anxiety at one point or another where we didn't feel like we were good enough, and there's a lot of us in the middle of this cycle who still feel anxious. Yes there are people with good GPAs who don't get into Mac, but that's because Mac standardizes their scores and all of the GPAs are clustered in the 3.9+ area. Having a 130 CARS makes an arguably bigger impact on your pre-interview score than a 4.0 GPA. CASPER is also a big deal as well, and lots of people screw up on that. We can't tell you how you did on CASPER, but that 130 CARS gives you a damn good chance at Mac, and your MCAT overall gives you a damn good chance at pretty much every other school.

Thank you for the kind words and I don't feel bad, I merely understand how my question could have been... seen as pointless and redundant. Thanks for the kind words, I am hoping my verbal score proves to be a huge strength in my application :).

Glad to hear that. My point was not to make you feel bad, but more so to encourage you to break out of the paranoia cycle of thinking you have no chances and just relax, and see what happens in January

Yes I understand, no hard feelings or anything. I am fairly relaxed about things, I just wanted to drop a comment and get a read but I see how it was kind of a pointless comment, probably borne out of impatience more than anything. Thanks for the response!

• 3 weeks later...

GPA: 3.76

VR: 11

CASPER: Due to technical errors, I only finished 9/12 stations; no idea how I did :S 

Thanks! 

No one can answer this any better than you can yourself. Honestly. Look up last year's stats, compare yourself to the average, and there you go. Remember what an average is, an average is not a cutoff. 

No one ever knows how they did on CASPer either, regardless of what they felt it was like. I get that you're nervous, but every single one of the thousands of applicants is wondering the exact same thing as you right now. There is literally nothing you can do, nothing anyone on here can tell you about your 'chances' that will change whatever email you receive in January.

GPA: 3.92

CARS: 126

CASPER: Thought went pretty well but didn't finish a completely finish a couple answers.

Thanks!

Also what does a 126 convert to on the old scale? I've been getting mixed responses on different websites. 

There is no 'conversion' that's 100% accurate, it's all just guessing. I would say the schools aren't even sure what the conversion is exactly. Just guess off percentiles. Like, maybe 9/10.

There's nothing you can do now though....

OOP

CARS: 128

GPA: 3.92

I'm just curious how being an OOP applicant changes things, considering the 128 on CARS (I had an 11 on the old MCAT  :wacko: )

Consider that people could write many many times to get 11+ on the old one but most only had one shot at the new one, while percentiles between the exams arent equivalent mac compers cars to cars within the applicant pool and vr to vr within the pool so its probably about the same for this cycle only.

Consider that people could write many many times to get 11+ on the old one but most only had one shot at the new one, while percentiles between the exams arent equivalent mac compers cars to cars within the applicant pool and vr to vr within the pool so its probably about the same for this cycle only.

Great point, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Great point, thanks!

I second that. Good point. I know people who got in to mac with VR of 7 even. not sure what the equivalent would be to new mcat. 

But mac seems to have so much fans - why is that guys? Is it the shorter MD program 3 vs 4 years? I don't get it because i never liked mac med. 

Hello... trying to figure out my chances @ Mac. I went to UBC, so I am on a percentage scale. I calculated my OMSAS GPA and it seemed a lot lower than my GPA at schools like Alberta and Calgary. Just wondering, would anyone here be willing to double check my calculation of my OMSAS GPA... does anyone have a handy GPA calculator? 

Also, is that extra point for having a masters no longer applicable? 

Thanks in advance

Hello... trying to figure out my chances @ Mac. I went to UBC, so I am on a percentage scale. I calculated my OMSAS GPA and it seemed a lot lower than my GPA at schools like Alberta and Calgary. Just wondering, would anyone here be willing to double check my calculation of my OMSAS GPA... does anyone have a handy GPA calculator? 

Also, is that extra point for having a masters no longer applicable? 

Thanks in advance

The OMSAS scale can make it seem like there's a big drop in your GPA from % or scales like Manitoba (where it's all in 0.5 intervals) because of that unfortunate thing were a 3.9 (A) and a 4.0 (A+) are virtually identical, but then the drop from an A- (3.7) to a B+ is massive (3.3). So 1 B+ instead of A- can have the same impact as 4 A's vs A+'s 

I ran into this as well, having a few B+'s and then 3 years of almost all A+. My % GPA is 89%, and >4/4.5 for manitoba, which you'd think would be a 3.9 OMSAS, but it was actually 3.78  :(  thankfully only Mac used that number  lol

I second that. Good point. I know people who got in to mac with VR of 7 even. not sure what the equivalent would be to new mcat. 

But mac seems to have so much fans - why is that guys? Is it the shorter MD program 3 vs 4 years? I don't get it because i never liked mac med. 

Mac Med is polarizing no doubt, it has been on the leading edge of med ed innovation since it was founded, some of the stuff will work, some won't and of course some will spread around the world. This point is also something that Mac students often take some degree of pride in. I definitely don't believe Mac Med is for everyone, but if you are very self motivated (we have more free time than any other medical school which leaves room to pursue your own interests but if you are not motivated, slacking), you have some idea of what kind of doctor you want to be (again you don't have to but at Mac you have less time to decide), you like group learning and you want to graduate early (again there is the option of a 4th year which you can spend doing 60-100% research and up to 40% clinical electives) then Mac Med is a good choice.

Mac Med also has a good atmosphere and a lot of camaraderie, the true no grading nature of Mac Med as opposed to P/F is also different, but I do believe it does even more of promoting that atmosphere. Many people talk about "corporate culture", Mac Med has its own culture of group learning as opposed to vigorous examination and for some, that is a good thing and for others it is not their preferred learning style. 

The OMSAS scale can make it seem like there's a big drop in your GPA from % or scales like Manitoba (where it's all in 0.5 intervals) because of that unfortunate thing were a 3.9 (A) and a 4.0 (A+) are virtually identical, but then the drop from an A- (3.7) to a B+ is massive (3.3). So 1 B+ instead of A- can have the same impact as 4 A's vs A+'s 

I ran into this as well, having a few B+'s and then 3 years of almost all A+. My % GPA is 89%, and >4/4.5 for manitoba, which you'd think would be a 3.9 OMSAS, but it was actually 3.78  :(  thankfully only Mac used that number  lol

Dang that really sucks. Basically takes Mac, and all other Ontario schools, out of the picture for me completely, with my 3.5 :( Thanks for the input

Dang that really sucks. Basically takes Mac, and all other Ontario schools, out of the picture for me completely, with my 3.5 :( Thanks for the input

I wouldn't discount everything, like say, only Mac takes cGPA. Mine turned into a 3.92 for Toronto and 3.98 for Queen's and something like a 3.88 for Ottawa although I didn't both applying there

I think it varies. Some love the idea, others are not at all interested.

Personally, Mac would have been a poor choice for myself because being from an isolated town/having no family working in medicine there are a huge number of specialties I have ever been exposed to, so I don't see the shorted clerkship as a plus. The lotto system for electives also was concerning to me, but again, maybe people like this

I also like the idea of summers being open to explore different fields, or research, and do some other kind of work. And the lack of lectures to me is not a plus-not that I'm not an independent learner-I had to complete almost all of my later high school years online because my school was so small-but from that I don't view the lack of guided classes and structure as a plus. I want someone to teach me the basics of medicine before I start working on cases in groups. 

That said, if I were a mature student for example, the program at Mac might be perfect for me. I think it's a great balance of 3 vs 4 year seats overall really, in Canada, because there definitely are people who would are perfectly suited to the Mac model

• 4 months later...

Hi all, 

Just trying to get my feel for chances at Mac. 

I'm a PR of Canada, but did my undergrad in the U.S. (I'm a resident of Ontario.)

I'm a non-traditional student. I have a BA in English, with an overall, raw GPA of a 3.4. 

I'm currently enrolled in University here as a non-degree seeking student, fulfilling "pre-requisites"—i.e. all my science courses. So far, I've been earning high marks.

I know that Canadian grading scales are different, and that my undergrad is a HUGE disadvantage. If I'd done undergrad in Canada with the same scores, I'd have roughly a 3.9. I'm going to be at the mercy of OMSAS to convert my GPA. 

I've been looking at UBC's med school because their formula for someone like me gives me a high likelihood of getting an interview. (I'd move ahead of time to be an IP applicant.) NAQs are equal to GPA at 50% each, and that's all they look at to determine if an applicant is given an interview. 

As I understand it, Mac is different in determining who gets an interview. 

My NAQs are as follows: 

High School: 

- Varsity Soccer

- Varsity Flag Football

- Editor-in-Chief of Newspaper

- Founder of Gay-Straight Alliance

- National Honor Society

- 8 APs, 4.3 GPA

- National Championship in club soccer

- Part-time serving job from Grade 11 onward

University: 

- Entrance scholarship of 100k

- Writing Tutor - 3 years 

- CRLA Certificate in Writing and Reading 

- Undergraduate Thesis

- Scholarship for Academics and Community Commitment

- Design Editor for International Literary Journal - 3 years

- Assistant Editor for International Literary Journal - 1 year

- Worked as technician for Apple Computers - 1.5 years

- Worked as Server - 4 years (5 years total including High School)

Post-University: 

(In United States)

- English Instructor at a High School - 3 years 

- Cross Country Assistant Coach - 2 years

- Junior Class Sponsor - 2 years

- Co-Sponsor School Newspaper - 2 years

- Literacy Committee Member - 3 years

- Scholarship Committee Member - 1 year

- After School Tutor (all subjects) - 2 years

- Gold Award in Excellence of teaching (rookie year)

- Teacher of the Month (3rd year)

- Valedictorian’s Most Influential Teacher Award (3rd year)

- School DJ at Pep Rallies

- Volunteer Supervision at Football and Basketball games (180 hours)

- On Summers off from teaching, taught a cycling class for new female cyclists 

(In Japan)

- JET Programme Assistant Language Teacher (Taught abroad on rural island in Japan) - 1 year

- Volunteered to teach English Classes - THREE different ones 

- Volunteer working with Kagoshima Prefecture Tourism

- Volunteer working with Kuchinoerbu Tourism and Translation 

- Volunteer with Yakushima Yaku Sugi Museum Translation 

- JET Kizuna Ambassador Award presented by Japan CLAIR 

(In Canada)

- SOY mentor for inner-city LGBTQ youth

* still working on getting this list going with volunteer work and working at a clinic

My references are/will be exceptionally strong. I'd like to think I've some advantage thanks to my age (28). By the time I apply, I'll be a Canadian Citizen. 

So, here are my questions:

1) Does Mac at all consider NAQs for getting an interview? (If not, when is it considered if at all?)

2) Does anyone know if my GPA (of 3.4, raw from undergrad, not including courses I'm taking now post-degree) will stay the same or increase after OMSAS gets ahold of it? (I have a grading scale I can post later if that helps anyone determine that.)

3) Will the courses I'm taking now, post-degree count toward my overall GPA that Mac considers?

4) Does anyone have experience getting grades converted from a US school?

5) Assuming I do exceptionally well on my CARS and Casper, does my GPA as it stands effectively eliminate me from getting an interview?

6) Does anyone have the formula for Mac to determine the interview scores?

Thanks in advance! 

1. Mac does not consider the ABS portion of the OMSAS app

2. I'm not sure- you need to figure out your OMSAS gpa

3. yes

4. not me personally

5. You have the minimum gpa even if your gpa did not increase with OMSAS, but it would not leave you in a very competitive place. This really depends on your OMSAS gpa (you want ~3.7+ to be competitive with a great CARS and CASPer score).

6. I believe for the 2015-2016 cycle it was 32% CARS, 32% gpa, and 32% CASPer (and I think you get an extra 1% added for having a masters and 4% added for a phd (but don't quote me on this)

Good luck!

1. Mac does not consider the ABS portion of the OMSAS app

2. I'm not sure- you need to figure out your OMSAS gpa

3. yes

4. not me personally

5. You have the minimum gpa even if your gpa did not increase with OMSAS, but it would not leave you in a very competitive place. This really depends on your OMSAS gpa (you want ~3.7+ to be competitive with a great CARS and CASPer score).

6. I believe for the 2015-2016 cycle it was 32% CARS, 32% gpa, and 32% CASPer (and I think you get an extra 1% added for having a masters and 4% added for a phd (but don't quote me on this)

Good luck!

Thanks for that. 

Do you know OMSAS drop "lowest" credits at all like UBC, and do you know what the breakdown typically is post-interview on how they score applicants?

Much appreciated!

Thanks for that. 

Do you know OMSAS drop "lowest" credits at all like UBC, and do you know what the breakdown typically is post-interview on how they score applicants?

Much appreciated!

Just to explain about OMSAS, its the application service that is used for all ON med schools. You first need to convert your undergrad marks to your OMSAS marks using the relevant scale (google OMSAS conversion chart and you'll see what I mean). Then within the ON schools, Mac does not drop any marks, U of T drops a certain number of credits if you've maintained a full course load all 4 years, Queens either looks at your last 2 years or cumulative gpa depending on what is better for you, Western looks at your two best years, Ottawa weights your later years heavier than your earlier years (you can look up the formula for how they calculate gpa on their website). So, OMSAS itself does not actually drop any marks, its the specific schools. I don't know the post interview breakdown off the top of my head, but its different for each ON school

Thanks for that. 

Much appreciated!

All on the individual schools websites. You should read them all carefully before applying. The criteria are vastly different at each school