Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

• 2 weeks later...

129 CARS, 3.55cGPA, starting Masters (1 year, so dunno if that counts for the bonus) this september. Have written CASPER before and will probably purchase resources and really prepare for it--not that it guarantees anything.

Thinking about rewriting to get 130 in CARS (for Western admission, too), but unsure.

129 CARS, 3.55cGPA, starting Masters (1 year, so dunno if that counts for the bonus) this september. Have written CASPER before and will probably purchase resources and really prepare for it--not that it guarantees anything.

Thinking about rewriting to get 130 in CARS (for Western admission, too), but unsure.

If you are in province, definitely worth a shot. 

My cGPA is 3.98. I wrote the MCAT last week, but I'm not feeling great about the CARS (I did not have a lot of time to prepare and was scoring 124-126 on TPR full-lengths). I will get my score on September 20 and will decide definitively about applying then, but what, in your opinion, would be the minimum CARS I'd need to apply? I am hoping for at least 127, but I had to guess on an entire passage because I ran out of time, so I'm not sure what my score will look like.

Thanks!

My cGPA is 3.98. I wrote the MCAT last week, but I'm not feeling great about the CARS (I did not have a lot of time to prepare and was scoring 124-126 on TPR full-lengths). I will get my score on September 20 and will decide definitively about applying then, but what, in your opinion, would be the minimum CARS I'd need to apply? I am hoping for at least 127, but I had to guess on an entire passage because I ran out of time, so I'm not sure what my score will look like.

Thanks!

With your gpa, I would apply if you get 126+ on CARS, but ideally you want about 128+

Is there ANY chance of getting in with a 123 in CARS with a very strong MCAT and ECs (very clinical)? I'm thinking either to apply this cycle or retake the MCAT and apply next cycle..

Unfortunately Mac doesn't look at your scores on the other sections of the MCAT, and they don't look at ECs either. But hopefully someone with more knowledge can shed some light on whether you'd still have a chance with 123 CARS, assuming your GPA and Casper are good!

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering whether it is worth applying to McMaster with a 3.65 gpa and a 124 CARS? I know these stats are not great at all, but the reason why I'm asking is because on the previous "McMaster Interview Invite/Regrets" page, I saw posts that applicants received an interview with 3.27 gpa and 128 CARS or 3.3 gpa. I was wondering does a lower verbal/CARS score effect an applicant more negatively than lower gpa?

Thank you!

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering whether it is worth applying to McMaster with a 3.65 gpa and a 124 CARS? I know these stats are not great at all, but the reason why I'm asking is because on the previous "McMaster Interview Invite/Regrets" page, I saw posts that applicants received an interview with 3.27 gpa and 128 CARS or 3.3 gpa. I was wondering does a lower verbal/CARS score effect an applicant more negatively than lower gpa?

Thank you!

Those people probably destroyed CASPer

Hey everyone, 

Thank you!

To be honest, you are most likely looking at a rejection pre-interview. This is coming from someone who has applied with a 8 in VR before. If money is a true concern, then don't. However, if you are fine with paying an extra $130ish dollars for an extra school + the additional CASPer fee for McMaster alone (which isn't too bad if you are already applying to Ottawa), then I would go for it.

However, I would apply fully knowing that you are likely to get rejected. Just saves you the energy...

To be honest, you are most likely looking at a rejection pre-interview. This is coming from someone who has applied with a 8 in VR before. If money is a true concern, then don't. However, if you are fine with paying an extra $130ish dollars for an extra school + the additional CASPer fee for McMaster alone (which isn't too bad if you are already applying to Ottawa), then I would go for it.

However, I would apply fully knowing that you are likely to get rejected. Just saves you the energy...

Those people probably destroyed CASPer

Thank you for your replies. I agree it is a long shot. I guess I will need to rewrite the MCAT to boost up my CARS

Didn't want to make a separate thread for a simple (probably silly) question:

Does Mac require/consider letters of reference? Can I just not submit any and leave my autobiographical sketch empty and still be considered for an interview? Or will I be rejected pre-interview if I don't submit reference letters?

I ask because I'm considering applying this cycle out of 3rd year, and I don't see myself being able to produce reference letters, though I'd still like to apply, if only to attempt Casper and maybe experience interviews first-hand before next year's cycle.

Didn't want to make a separate thread for a simple (probably silly) question:

Does Mac require/consider letters of reference? Can I just not submit any and leave my autobiographical sketch empty and still be considered for an interview? Or will I be rejected pre-interview if I don't submit reference letters?

I ask because I'm considering applying this cycle out of 3rd year, and I don't see myself being able to produce reference letters, though I'd still like to apply, if only to attempt Casper and maybe experience interviews first-hand before next year's cycle.

Unless Mac has changed their requirements this year, they definitely require reference letters (as do all of the ON med schools). 

Hey all, wondering if it's worth applying to McMaster!

Graduated in May 2016, GPA: 3.94, OOS, MCAT: 8 in VR

With an 8 in VR, it will be an uphill battle, but its possible that your gpa and a good CASPer could compensate. If you don't have financial constraints, I think you should apply, but definitely consider rewriting the mcat for the next application cycle. 

OOP applicant here with a 130 in CARS and 3.99 GPA... Do I have a chance at an interview? Also, I've never taken CASPer and haven't done any real prep for it so I don't expect it will go too well :mellow:

Based on that info alone you'd definitely be among the top OOP applicants. I'd say it's worth applying for sure. Obviously the wild card here is CASPer, but it's definitely not too late to start preparing  ;)  

• 2 weeks later...