Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

I'm IP....terrible first year in engineering science at UofT brings my overall GPA to OMSAS 3.38. However, without that one year, it's around 3.85, plus I have a complete MSc w/ 5 publications (1 first-author), and 39R MCAT (12 VR).

Any chance or will Mac throw out my app once they see that super low cGPA?

3.68 cGPA

13 VR

Think I'd get an interview even if I'm just 'ok' on CASPer?

You're in a very good position. I don't recommend going in with the mentality that you only need to do 'ok', since you want to maximize your performance to increase your chance at an interview. Obviously you're correct though, you probably don't need to perform exceptionally well. Your VR and cGPA put you above the average matriculant from last year.

I don't recommend going in with the mentality that you only need to do 'ok', since you want to maximize your performance to increase your chance at an interview.

Oh I definitely won't have that kind of mentality. I'm gonna try to have fun with it, while also giving it my full effort and treating the thing like a final exam, in terms of mental effort.

Still, it might be a bit less nerve wracking if I don't feel like I have to Ace the thing.

Oh I definitely won't have that kind of mentality. I'm gonna try to have fun with it, while also giving it my full effort and treating the thing like a final exam, in terms of mental effort.

Still, it might be a bit less nerve wracking if I don't feel like I have to Ace the thing.

I agree completely. It's great going in without having as much pressure, and I'm sure you'll do great!

Hey guys. I'm really, really nervous about CASPer. I don't meant to sound like a troll (I'm not, honest), but do you think I could get an interview even if I do quite poorly? I have a 4.0 and an 11 VR. I think 11 is pretty spot on average, no? I just feel so overwhelmed... I have no background in ethics or in the Canadian health care system, and I have so many midterms around CASPer time that I really can't spend very much time preparing. Do you think I'd be okay if I don't do too well, or should I try to spend a lot of time and potentially risk my GPA?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hey guys. I'm really, really nervous about CASPer. I don't meant to sound like a troll (I'm not, honest), but do you think I could get an interview even if I do quite poorly? I have a 4.0 and an 11 VR. I think 11 is pretty spot on average, no? I just feel so overwhelmed... I have no background in ethics or in the Canadian health care system, and I have so many midterms around CASPer time that I really can't spend very much time preparing. Do you think I'd be okay if I don't do too well, or should I try to spend a lot of time and potentially risk my GPA?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

In my opinion, do NOT do anything to hurt your beautiful GPA. If you damage it, it'll never recover. With your stats, you're competitive everywhere (depending on your non-academics), because if memory serves you had 14's in the other sections and an R writing sample.

Your 4.0 is obviously going to score you huge points, and the 11 is still above average. You're in an excellent position. Honestly I think you should focus on your midterms. Since you have a 4.0, I'm sure you know how to manage your time by now. Try to prepare for CASPer too, but don't sacrifice your midterm performance just for Mac.

I'm in a similar situation as you, although your stats are better (3.99 cGPA, 10 VR). I don't want to lower my GPA, since it's clearly the most redeeming quality about my application. The GPA will stick around forever, but every other aspect of the application can be improved later on.

That's my two cents.

Hey guys. I'm really, really nervous about CASPer. I don't meant to sound like a troll (I'm not, honest), but do you think I could get an interview even if I do quite poorly? I have a 4.0 and an 11 VR.

You're obviously a very smart person. I can't imagine you bombing CASPer hard enough to not get an interview considering your other stats...

Unless English isn't your first language, or you type at 5 WPM, or something random like that.

Don't worry about it too much. Have fun with it.. treat it like a game show or something. 5 minute timer, best answer wins the prize. Just don't answer "World Peace" in every box.

You're obviously a very smart person. I can't imagine you bombing CASPer hard enough to not get an interview considering your other stats...

Unless English isn't your first language, or you type at 5 WPM, or something random like that.

Don't worry about it too much. Have fun with it.. treat it like a game show or something. 5 minute timer, best answer wins the prize. Just don't answer "World Peace" in every box.

but Gracie Lou Freebush "really do[es] want world peace!" lolz.

chill! you don't have to ANY prep for casper if you don't want to.

I can second the complete lack of prep for casper - I did absolutely nothing to prepare, and it worked out just fine for me... seriously chill guys!

Haha, this is reassuring. I find it hard to go into something without preparing, but I'm definitely valuing my midterms/assignments in a much higher regard.

In my opinion, do NOT do anything to hurt your beautiful GPA. If you damage it, it'll never recover. With your stats, you're competitive everywhere (depending on your non-academics), because if memory serves you had 14's in the other sections and an R writing sample.

Your 4.0 is obviously going to score you huge points, and the 11 is still above average. You're in an excellent position. Honestly I think you should focus on your midterms. Since you have a 4.0, I'm sure you know how to manage your time by now. Try to prepare for CASPer too, but don't sacrifice your midterm performance just for Mac.

I'm in a similar situation as you, although your stats are better (3.99 cGPA, 10 VR). I don't want to lower my GPA, since it's clearly the most redeeming quality about my application. The GPA will stick around forever, but every other aspect of the application can be improved later on.

That's my two cents.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm not actually competitive though, because my non-academics are awful, haha. That's why I'm hoping for one of these beautiful schools that don't consider ECs :D.

Hahahaha.

but Gracie Lou Freebush "really do[es] want world peace!" lolz.

Lol! That and a pint of ice cream at the bar.

GPA - 3.53

VR - 9

I have a Master's, but will the 1% help me enough to give me a shot? I know I will have to probably kill Casper.

I'd say you have a somewhat steep hill to climb. And obviously much more so if you're OOP. Both your GPA and VR are below the average accepted applicant from last year (and the changes in the pre-interview formula will likely drive up the GPAs and VR scores a bit this year).

But of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. If you look at the thread with the stats for who got an interview last year you'll see that (especially when you consider your added 1%) there are people with similar stats who received invites. Give CASPer your best shot, manage your expectations and see what happens.

Good luck!