Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

6 hours ago, maenyt said:

I have a GPA of 3.91 but unfortunately I only scored 125 on CARS despite consistently getting 130's on practice exams.

I am confident I can excel at CASPER, I needed it to get in to my undergrad so I've actually written it before.

Do I have a shot at getting interviewed?

https://mdprogram.mcmaster.ca/docs/default-source/admissions/class-stats-2021.pdf

Possible - but very unlikely based on admission stats.

2 hours ago, SLC6A4 said:

3.94 GPA, 131 CARS, in province. Am I a shoe-in for an interview? I'm a fast-typer and have taken a bunch of ethics courses already

You should receive an interview...unless you really f*#% up casper.

2 hours ago, Llamastan said:

~3.96 cGPA, 130 CARS. Out of province. Seems a lot more difficult to get an interview from OOP here - am I even competitive with these stats? 

I mean, how more competitive can you be than you already are? We're talking about a 0.04 difference from a 4.0 and 2 points away from 132. You're good. Just don't be a social pariah on casper.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, vino said:

Decent chance if your CASPer is solid. I've seen someone with a similar GPA, lower CARS get in OOP.

Wow that comment just lit me up like a bulb... with a 129 CARS and 3.79 cGPA as OOP I was wondering if I even stood a chance for an IV. Ofc, it all depends on the Casper now, but it's still a relief to hear this. 

2 hours ago, bigboydyo said:

Wow that comment just lit me up like a bulb... with a 129 CARS and 3.79 cGPA as OOP I was wondering if I even stood a chance for an IV. Ofc, it all depends on the Casper now, but it's still a relief to hear this. 

I got in with a 129 CARS and a 3.80 cGPA (as in province though). CASPer is so much more important than people think.

2 hours ago, Atwood-45 said:

Okay gonna have to crack down for the 23rd then. Do you have any recommendations for CASPer prep? I’ve just been doing practice Qs and read the uwash ethics page 

A lot of people have told me to read a book called Doing Right which is supposedly a big help. Other than that the uwash ethics page is probably good enough and practice typing quick if you're not great at it. Good luck dude! I hope it goes great. 

Hey everyone! Now that Casper is done... it’s time for constant agonizing re-evaluation of my overall application for four months!!!

All jokes aside, does anybody know the weight of the 4% “PhD bonus”? I’m having a hard time grasping numerically how this will affect my z-score. For reference gpa is roughly 3.63 and cars is 130. Mac is my number one school hands down!!! 

5 minutes ago, ONMED17 said:

Hey everyone! Now that Casper is done... it’s time for constant agonizing re-evaluation of my overall application for four months!!!

All jokes aside, does anybody know the weight of the 4% “PhD bonus”? I’m having a hard time grasping numerically how this will affect my z-score. For reference gpa is roughly 3.63 and cars is 130. Mac is my number one school hands down!!! 

Play around with this calculator!

I was playing around with this calculator and I think it is off :/. According to it, if you have a 4.0 GPA, 118 in CARS and an "average" CASPer score, your chance of an interview is almost 65%. (When it should be 0%, as the stated minimum cut-off score for CARS is 123). And apparently, the above scores are more competitive than a 3.99 GPA, 128 CARS (10 pts higher!) and "average" CASPer performance??

28 minutes ago, caramilk said:

I was playing around with this calculator and I think it is off :/. According to it, if you have a 4.0 GPA, 118 in CARS and an "average" CASPer score, your chance of an interview is almost 65%. (When it should be 0%, as the stated minimum cut-off score for CARS is 123). And apparently, the above scores are more competitive than a 3.99 GPA, 128 CARS (10 pts higher!) and "average" CASPer performance??

Is there a Mac CARS cutoff? Either way it was based off of the work from a Premed101 user called organomegaly who did the stats (roughly) for it a few years back. Either way, obviously not perfect. Even with a "90%" chance, you could still not get an interview. Just a guess of course, but it does show you how the balance of CASPer works into it all

3 hours ago, ONMED17 said:

Out of curiosity are you IP or OOP?