Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

unfortunately I did very bad this year, my first year undergrad cgpa was a 3.00 :((:( :(

assuming that I get a 4next year and my cgpa in by second year turns out to be a 3.5, and that I get a 14 in vr mcat and do casper very well, do I have a chance at mac, as a third year applicant, IP?

I would say probably not. How do you plan on improving from a 3.0 to a 4.0 for next year? Also... I bank on a 14 in verbal, unless you are prefecting the practice tests I'm assuming you've done.

Don't sweat the 3.0 though. Reflect and improve. You have three more years.

unfortunately I did very bad this year, my first year undergrad cgpa was a 3.00 :((:( :(

assuming that I get a 4next year and my cgpa in by second year turns out to be a 3.5, and that I get a 14 in vr mcat and do casper very well, do I have a chance at mac, as a third year applicant, IP?

Likely not. 3.5 is probably too low for Mac - especially as a 3rd year...also, don't assume you will get a 14 VR.

Yes, you would have "a chance".

But you very likely won't get a 14 in VR, and you very likely won't get a 4.00 in second year if you only pulled a 3 in year 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread! Here's my stats:

GPA: low 80s, I think 3.72 (OMSAS)??

VR: did it last year but didn't turn out good, will be rewriting this sept.

Profession: I am an OT, Mac grad (MSc OT), lots of clinical experiences

Casper: will also be writing this soon

Do you guys think I have a chance??

Thanks!

Interesting thread! Here's my stats:

GPA: low 80s, I think 3.72 (OMSAS)??

VR: did it last year but didn't turn out good, will be rewriting this sept.

Profession: I am an OT, Mac grad (MSc OT), lots of clinical experiences

Casper: will also be writing this soon

Do you guys think I have a chance??

Thanks!

Your GPA and VR score make up 67% of your pre-interview score, so its not possible to say unless you know your GPA and VR. 3.72 is below the usual class mean, but you should definitely be able to make up for it with a strong VR, so do as much as possible to bring up that mark. Good luck!

aryastark - thanks for your reply! Actually I just had some set back...I had several transferred credits from a foreign university, and McMaster informed me that those credits would not be considered in the cGPA calculation. So I recalculated my cGPA without those credits and that came to a horrifying 3.35 :( I was so devastated but there is nothing I can do about my grades now. I am hoping my MSc would at least make a slightest difference...I'm still going to write the MCAT though just to see how it turns out. But this is defenitely a blow to my confidence!!!

aryastark - thanks for your reply! Actually I just had some set back...I had several transferred credits from a foreign university, and McMaster informed me that those credits would not be considered in the cGPA calculation. So I recalculated my cGPA without those credits and that came to a horrifying 3.35 :( I was so devastated but there is nothing I can do about my grades now. I am hoping my MSc would at least make a slightest difference...I'm still going to write the MCAT though just to see how it turns out. But this is defenitely a blow to my confidence!!!

3.35 cGPA is not the end of the world. Trust me.

You'll need to outperform on VR and Casper, but for the record, 3.35 cGPA is not an impossibility. Obviously it's an uphill battle, but people have done it ;)

3.35 cGPA is not the end of the world. Trust me.

You'll need to outperform on VR and Casper, but for the record, 3.35 cGPA is not an impossibility. Obviously it's an uphill battle, but people have done it ;)

Applemanv3 - I read your story...very inspiring, along with several others. I'll try my best :) if not I will continue to apply until I get in!!!

Thoughts on my situation would be lovely :)

I just finished second year with a GPA of 3.97 and MCAT VR 13.

I'm trying to decide whether I should waste my time applying to McMaster this year or wait until next. I don't have the science prerequisites to apply to other schools, so it's Mac or nothing for me. I'm hesitant to apply this year for a few reasons:

1. English is not my native language, and although I'm quite fluent, I don't know how well I would do on CASPER given the time constraints.

2. If I actually manage to get an interview, I'm concerned that none of my ECs relate to medicine. I know this isn't required, but it seems like most people who get in have fairly extensive medical volunteer experience.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to apply this year (i.e. in my third year), or wait until fourth year to practice writing in English and accumulate more volunteer experience?

Thanks

I'm trying to decide whether I should waste my time applying to McMaster this year or wait until next. I don't have the science prerequisites to apply to other schools, so it's Mac or nothing for me. I'm hesitant to apply this year for a few reasons:

1. English is not my native language, and although I'm quite fluent, I don't know how well I would do on CASPER given the time constraints.

2. If I actually manage to get an interview, I'm concerned that none of my ECs relate to medicine. I know this isn't required, but it seems like most people who get in have fairly extensive medical volunteer experience.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to apply this year (i.e. in my third year), or wait until fourth year to practice writing in English and accumulate more volunteer experience?

Thanks

Your GPA and VR score are both great, and they make up 2/3 of your pre-interview score. So as long as you do decently on the CASPER, I think you'd have a good chance to get an interview.

As for the ECs - don't worry about it :) Firstly, Mac doesn't ever directly look at your ECs (i.e. I don't believe they even read your autobiographical sketch from OMSAS). Secondly, there's definitely no requirement for your extra-curricular activities to be directly related to medicine anyways. The important thing is what YOU got our of your activities. Even if those activities weren't directly related to medicine, you can always relate them to medicine and talk about the skills they helped you develop that will be useful for you in the future as a doctor.

I think a lot of people look at "ECs" in the same way they look at GPA or MCAT cutoffs, but that's not really the point, I don't think. Schools just want to see that you're an interesting person who does things outside of class.

Thanks

you will almost certainly get an interview at mac, unless you are absoletly horrible at casper.

Thanks

1. might be a problem but your GPA/VR will likely make up for an average CASPER score.

2. probably don't be an issue.

No harm in trying, just apply :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone.

Not exactly thrilled about this but I need some advice on what to do with what I have so far. I have completed my third year of university but still have one to go.

Year 1: 3.56

Year 2: 3.10

Year 3: 3.69

Year 4: 3.8+ hopefully

cGPA: 3.45

AMCAS GPA: 3.57

Best 2 Years: 3.63

UofT: 3.67

Last 2 Years: 3.40

MCAT: 12 VR, 10 PS, 10 BS = 32R

EC: School clubs, charity committee coordinator, sports intramurals.

- clinical research assistant, shadowing GI physician, acknowledgement in one paper and non-primary authorship in another but both are yet to be published

I had a lot of trouble adjusting to the work ethic required for university, I kind of coasted through high school with good grades because you don't have to study much as long as you go to class. I also had self-motivation issues but I worked really hard and if it wasn't for a single class, my GPA in 3rd year was looking to be 3.8ish.

Anyways, I still really want to pursue Med. Is that still a possibility? And any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Should I do a 5th year? Graduate studies? 2nd UG? the US? Redo MCAT?

Thanks so much.

Just got my MCAT scores - 10 PS 11 VR 9 BS (GPA a bit over 3.8) so I will be applying to both McMaster and U of T with a preference for Mac if I can get in.

Thank you to everyone on these boards. As I go through the process, I will be sure to check in and offer any comments or advice I can.

Good luck and thanks again,

P

Hey everyone.

Year 1: 3.56

Year 2: 3.10

Year 3: 3.69

Year 4: 3.8+ hopefully

cGPA: 3.45

AMCAS GPA: 3.57

Best 2 Years: 3.63

UofT: 3.67

Last 2 Years: 3.40

MCAT: 12 VR, 10 PS, 10 BS = 32R

This is really going to be an uphill struggle. UofT, Western, Queens and Ottawa are basically out. Even Mac is difficult with a 3.45 (though still possible, I know someone who got in with a lower GPA).

GPA matters so much in this process that ECs just don't matter unless your GPA is at least reasonably competitive (except for at Mac). A fifth year would not help very much, IMO, in improving your cGPA. If you manage a 3.7+ in both 4th and a 5th year then you could apply to Western and Queens but it's a gamble as you'll be doing a "6th year" or working while applying.

A Master's could be helpful but it really comes down to how dedicated you are towards the MD pathway - there have been cases of applicants getting in with less than stellar grades but it's very difficult. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but realistic. How confident are you about your ability to get a 3.8+ in the coming year?

This is really going to be an uphill struggle. UofT, Western, Queens and Ottawa are basically out. Even Mac is difficult with a 3.45 (though still possible, I know someone who got in with a lower GPA).

GPA matters so much in this process that ECs just don't matter unless your GPA is at least reasonably competitive (except for at Mac). A fifth year would not help very much, IMO, in improving your cGPA. If you manage a 3.7+ in both 4th and a 5th year then you could apply to Western and Queens but it's a gamble as you'll be doing a "6th year" or working while applying.

A Master's could be helpful but it really comes down to how dedicated you are towards the MD pathway - there have been cases of applicants getting in with less than stellar grades but it's very difficult. I'm not trying to be pessimistic but realistic. How confident are you about your ability to get a 3.8+ in the coming year?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. And yes, I understand 100% how tough this will be but am fully prepared to spend all my time and effort till it happens. I am committed to the MD pathway, I have backup options but am going to pursue this for as long as humanly possible.

I'm relatively sure I can get 3.8 this year because my work habits are finally keeping up with my understanding of the courses, I nearly achieved it this year but one of my courses was extremely hard and brought my entire gpa down.

What about my MCAT though, should I consider rewriting to improve my score?

Thanks again,

GJS

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. And yes, I understand 100% how tough this will be but am fully prepared to spend all my time and effort till it happens. I am committed to the MD pathway, I have backup options but am going to pursue this for as long as humanly possible.

I'm relatively sure I can get 3.8 this year because my work habits are finally keeping up with my understanding of the courses, I nearly achieved it this year but one of my courses was extremely hard and brought my entire gpa down.

Thanks again,

GJS

I wouldn't unless you are really set on getting somewhere that has higher cutoffs, like Western or Mac. If you have time and you know that you can get a higher school, go for it. Otherwise, your score is admittable but not exceptional (just under average for matriculants I believe).

Thanks again,

GJS

I wouldn't rewrite unless you're able to maintain that VR. You must must must not lose it- high VRs like that are hard to come by. While I believe that the VR section captures an innate quality that likely won't fluctuate much, happenstance and luck can sometimes make people lose a few points.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard from some people that McMaster's problem based learning focus has caused their med graduates to be underprepared for the MCCQE because there isn't enough focus on medical theory in the curriculum.

Is that true? Also - if anyone here goes to medical school for Mac, how do you like it? Is the 3 years too rushed?

I'm applying this year:

cGPA: 3.57

VR: 11

Do they not look at your EC's at all?

I've heard from some people that McMaster's problem based learning focus has caused their med graduates to be underprepared for the MCCQE because there isn't enough focus on medical theory in the curriculum.

Is that true? Also - if anyone here goes to medical school for Mac, how do you like it? Is the 3 years too rushed?

I'm applying this year:

Not to be a downer, but you don't have much of a shot at Mac with that GPA.

I'm applying this year:

if you're OOP, then highly unlikely. if IP, apply.