Premed 101 Forums

Official "What are my chances for McMaster" Thread

Actually, as of last year it is slightly below avg. (11.07). For all intents and purposes it is now avg. lol

lol oh God, 11 is below average now? I don't know how that's possible - almost everyone I know failed the VR! Looks like the pool is getting increasingly competitive

Thanks for the input! I am waiting to hear back to determine if my final 2 years are considered full time or not, if so my GPA will be a 3.85

Do you mean your last 2 year GPA will be 3.85?

cGPA 3.63

Verbal 9

In province.

I know my stats are below admission averages, what are my chances for getting an interview invite? Shd I bother applying?

It's true that your GPA and VR score are both below average, but remember that 1/3rd of the first formula is CASPer, which you've yet to complete. If I were you, I'd apply anyway. Even if you don't get an interview, at least you'll have experience with CASPer.

If you don't get accepted into medical school this year, I'd suggest rewriting the VR section. Although your GPA is below average, 33 (16%) of the 203 students in the 2016 class had a similar or lower GPA. On the other hand, only 13 (or 6%) had a 9 or below on VR. If you were able to raise your VR score to a 10 or higher, then your chances would improve significantly. Even then your scores would still be below average, and you'd still have to do exceptionally well on CASPer, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck, my friend!

Cheers,

Al Paca

Might as well ask since I know the score now.

GPA: 3.75

VR: 11

The new formula hurts me since I'm below average in GPA and pretty much on average for VR now. I just don't know how badly my GPA will hurt.

If you do well on CASPer, I would be optimistic. Practice well with whatever sample material is available.

I've got Doing Right that I was planning to read through. CASPer always worried me since it seems like everyone's answers would be similar.

Almost everyone walks out of CASper shaking their head. Doing right won't help you prepare that much. In all honesty, try your absolute best to give a clear answer for each question. You won't have a lot of time so theres no thinking, its whatever pops into your head.