Premed 101 Forums

Canadian PT/OT Programs- General Information, Stats & Prereqs

Hi everyone,

These charts are from my blog- thought some people might find these useful for a quick overview of physiotherapy & occupational therapy programs in Canada.

PT-1.png

PT-2.png

OT-1.png

OT-2.png

As per usual, if anyone has any "missing" info (or corrections!), please feel free to post here/PM me so I can add it to the charts. Good luck with your applications!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey, I thought McGill did not give any interviews when you applied for the undergrad studies. Is this recent?

No interview for an undergrad degree in PT or OT at McGill. However, there is an MMI to apply for QY/the Master's degree in PT or OT.

Hey- sorry about the confusion. These charts were made in the context of alternative careers in healthcare- hence the focus on QY applications as opposed to undergrad PT/OT.

• 2 weeks later...

Two points of reference on their website that are relevant:

From FAQ's

9. If I fulfill the minimum criteria of admission, what are my chances of entry?

Fulfilling the minimum criteria only guarantees consideration for admission. All applicants meeting the application requirements are ranked based upon GPA. Successful applicants tend to significantly exceed the admission criteria both quantitatively and qualitatively.

21. Why is the admission GPA weighed so heavily in the admission review?

Our program is academically challenging and we therefore require a very strong academic background from our applicants so that we can hopefully guarantee them success in our program. Work experience, letters of reference, etc. are certainly reviewed to ensure an applicant's proper fit with the program, but a strong history of academic success is very important.

In both instances they highlight that GPA is only the first point of ranking. They don't indicate it's the only measure used.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Hey- sorry about the confusion. These charts were made in the context of alternative careers in healthcare- hence the focus on QY applications as opposed to undergrad PT/OT.

No problem. However, do you know what cGPA would be required to apply to the undergrad program instead of the Qualifying Year? I am graduating from kinesiology at mcgill next winter and I wanted to apply in the undergrad program as well as the qualifying year just in case I don't get in

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, thank you for all these information. 

I need help. 

I want to get into McGill either Qualifying PT or Master PT. 

Their admission requirement is minimum cGPA 3.5 on relevant courses. What courses are relevant? Can someone help me to assess my courses? I just want to know if it is worthwhile to throw in my application.

I am currently doing a second degree in Exercise Science. My GPA is not great but i have tonnes of experience in rehab and good reference letters. My first degree is BA in Communication graduated with 3.0 GPA with no vision to continue. Hence i am doing my second degree. Currently I am at cGPA is 3.4, has completed 36 credits. 

What are my chances?

Any other schools that you think might accept my grades?

Thank you kindly.

I was procrastinating homework today and updated the General Info table for OT applicants. Hope it helps somewhat! Not going to have time to the PT program though, don't know anything about it really since I'm applying for OT. Some stuff I couldn't update (i.e. number of applicants for non-Ontario schools) because it was hard to find.

Main difference seems to be an increase of GPA stats. The Queen's average I obtained was said during the info session this month by either Donna O'Connor or Laurie Kerr, I didn't really write who just what was the average.

1etQzTO.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yo, I did a spreadsheet thing of OT schools in Canada, including Quebec.Currently contains: school profile (website, phone number, location), minimum GPA to get in, Prereqs, Documents needed (LOR, personal statements, etc), volunteering requirements, class size, OOP notes, interview yes/no, and other small notes (when I could locate them) like application windows, length, and links to accepted prereqs. Then the ORPAS scale. And finally a sheet with the last two years admissions posts from this forum.

Google Sheets:  the link so that you may copy it to your own Google Drive and add anything you want. This is it as a simple web page, so that if you want to quickly look at it or don't like spreadsheets, this may be a little easier, but more ugly. 

• 7 months later...

Hi, I know that eventhough UBC gives preference to in province applicants, they do comsider out of province applicants. If your upper division GPA is competitive (82% or 3.8) you should apply. Keep in mind that the competitive GPA cutoff fluctuates each year. On their OT website it states last years cutoff was 82%. I am an in province UBC applicant and I am super nervous since I don't know if my GPA would meet the cut off or not. You should consider applying though if you think your GPA is 80% or higher and if you have experience interacting with individual with disability.

Hi, I know that eventhough UBC gives preference to in province applicants, they do comsider out of province applicants. If your upper division GPA is competitive (82% or 3.8) you should apply. Keep in mind that the competitive GPA cutoff fluctuates each year. On their OT website it states last years cutoff was 82%. I am an in province UBC applicant and I am super nervous since I don't know if my GPA would meet the cut off or not. You should consider applying though if you think your GPA is 80% or higher and if you have experience interacting with individual with disability.

• 7 months later...

I didn't think this warranted to a new thread, so I thought I'd ask this question for anyone who is more familiar with the process.

For the PT programs that only look at the last two years and/or 60 credits for the GPA calculation, does anyone know if they consider cGPA at all?