Premed 101 Forums

Canadian PT/OT Programs- General Information, Stats & Prereqs

I didn't think this warranted to a new thread, so I thought I'd ask this question for anyone who is more familiar with the process.

For the PT programs that only look at the last two years and/or 60 credits for the GPA calculation, does anyone know if they consider cGPA at all? 

Only certain schools look at cGPA (eg. Queens), but they'd clearly state that they take both GPA calculations into consideration on their website.

Only certain schools look at cGPA (eg. Queens), but they'd clearly state that they take both GPA calculations into consideration on their website.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I know which one's use cGPA or wGPA for their calculation, but I recall something a few years ago that in the fine print some schools would still look at the cGPA?  Something about an objective overall assessment.  I don't see anything about it on the sites I visited, so I may just be confusing this with another professional program.

• 6 months later...

The UWO PT admissions website states the average incoming grades in both average % grade (88%) and average GPA (3.83) Which one do they use for admission ?

My school reports final grades in %. My average % grade is 85% but my average GPA grade is 3.65 because of several 77%-79% final marks. If they use average % grade I'll have a chance.

• 2 months later...

Update on UBC's OT program
(since the OP is outdated now)

The GPA cut-off to receive an interview for this year's UBC MOT program was 84%. Approximately 380 students applied for the 2017-2019 program, with ~150 students invited for an interview. The program size is 48 (Canadian seats, 10% of this for out of province students) + 8 (international seats).

Every year the GPA cut-off seems to rise by 1%. Last year the GPA cut-off was 83% and the year before that, 82%. Thought future applicants might want to know this.

Hey does anyone know roughly when Toronto and Queens will inform applicants about their admissions decisions?

On Queen`s website it states "All offers of Admission for the 2017-18 Academic year will be sent via email on May 19, 2017." I do believe that every Ontario school will be sending admission decisions on this date!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On November 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM, hopefulOT said:

I was procrastinating homework today and updated the General Info table for OT applicants. Hope it helps somewhat! Not going to have time to the PT program though, don't know anything about it really since I'm applying for OT. Some stuff I couldn't update (i.e. number of applicants for non-Ontario schools) because it was hard to find.

Main difference seems to be an increase of GPA stats. The Queen's average I obtained was said during the info session this month by either Donna O'Connor or Laurie Kerr, I didn't really write who just what was the average.

1etQzTO.jpg

Hi !

McGill no longer requires LOR! They actually took it out of the application completely 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

So I applied to OT school this year, only the schools in Ontario and OUAC just calculated my sub gpa and I don't think it'll be enough to get in this round. My 2019 grades were really bad so it dropped my sub gpa down to a 3.32. was hoping to depend on my experience since I shadowed 3 OT's a PT and RN and volunteered at various OT and therapy clinics. I also have been a personal caretaker for my grandma since she was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2018 but I feel like with my gpa my experience won't matter. I'm in my final term of UG and I think I can boost my gpa up to a 3.64 but I don't know if thats enough and I really don't want to go back and take more classes to boost my gpa. Any advice?

• 1 year later...