Premed 101 Forums

Prereq GPA vs. Undergrad GPA

Mr. Anderson

Does anyone know how much of a role the prereq GPA plays in the application? My prereq courses were done in CEGEP (3-4 years ago) where my grades weren't as good as in university right now, therefore my prereq GPA is much lower than my undergrad GPA as a consequence. I'm worried this might have a huge negative effect on the academic part of my application, even if my university GPA is considered competitive.

Why not?

He said that they will be counted just like any other class in your undergraduate degree. (He said about 15 credits from prereqs)

I am 100% sure, I chatted with him.

And after the interview, only the CEGEP prereqs matter.

Hmm I asked the admissions office about this and they said cegep pre-reqs wouldn't be included in that GPA. I suppose Dansereau might be a better source, but they do refer to it as DegGPA on their website and cegep pre-reqs really aren't part of my degree...

Plus I'll be applying in my last year with 60 uni credits, if they included my Cegep pre-reqs that would be 28 credits which really doesn't seem proportionate.

Well technically an undergraduate degree is 120 credits. We get 30 credits from cegep and complete the remaining 90 credits with university courses. So it sort of makes sense that the cegep courses contribute in some way to the DegGPA. Although I'm not sure why only the science prereqs would count and not the all the courses you took in cegep. I asked M Dansereau about this a while ago if I remember right he said interview is 70% DegGPA and only after the interview is SciGPa considered.

I suppose that doesn't really answer the question as to whether cegep courses are somehow worked into DegGPA.

Don't forget that you can use your MCAT score to improve your application - considering that most IP in Quebec went through CEGEP, I don't think that much importance is given to the prereq GPA if they were done in CEGEP, since they use a percentage cut-off, but we all know that a 87% at Brebeuf or Mariannapolis is not the same as in a lower-ranked Cegep. This is why we have an R score system! They can't bypass that too much.

If you did bad in CEGEP, DO the MCAT, even if optional : not only does it show a great commitment towards improving your academic performance, if they see bad grades in CEGEP but a stellar GPA + stellar MCAT, you're safe. I've read stories of people here having sub 25 R scores, going through an undergraduate degree and getting accepted !

Don't forget that you can use your MCAT score to improve your application - considering that most IP in Quebec went through CEGEP, I don't think that much importance is given to the prereq GPA if they were done in CEGEP, since they use a percentage cut-off, but we all know that a 87% at Brebeuf or Mariannapolis is not the same as in a lower-ranked Cegep. This is why we have an R score system! They can't bypass that too much.

If you did bad in CEGEP, DO the MCAT, even if optional : not only does it show a great commitment towards improving your academic performance, if they see bad grades in CEGEP but a stellar GPA + stellar MCAT, you're safe. I've read stories of people here having sub 25 R scores, going through an undergraduate degree and getting accepted !

Can you clarify what you mean by a percentage cut-off?

I saw the form you have to fill, theres a PDF file somewhere on the internet, I'll look for it later tonight and post the link here

Basically, to get an A (4.0 prereq GPA) from your CEGEP grades , you need 87% or plus. (not 85, like the GPA in university). Forgot the other cutoffs.

I just find that CEGEP grades should be forgotten, I've had a crappy R score and now I'm rolling on a 93+ average, it's all in putting an honest amount of work into your studying.

So to resume, in my opinion (based on what I read on this forum, and by the way they select successful candidates as per their policies posted online), a killer GPA and a killer MCAT (i'm aiming for a 35) will make any CEGEP grades quite irrelevant.

It is even more true if you're undergrad is a Science one. Doing great in 300 and 400 level BIOL courses is much more relevant than what you did in a 100 level course (which is what CEGEP biology stands at).

Archived