Premed 101 Forums

Canada recruiting MDs in India

st8ic

I found this a surprising read:

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regina/Saskatchewan+doctor+recruitment+mission+India+success/7695619/story.html

Why are we looking at pulling in more immigrant doctors? Is there just not enough capacity within our medical schools to meet demand? If this is the case, are they ramping up to increase the capacity of Canadian medical schools?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o_O I guess they conveniently forgot to mention the MCCEE, MCCQEI, MCCQEII, specialty board exams, and all the other crap IMGs have to go through in order to work in Canada now.

Doesn't make any sense to me for them to be recruiting NEW IMGs into Canada, when we already have a huge backlog of IMGs queuing up to work here.

Will their Indian residency training even be accepted by the MCC?

utterly ridiculous.

Ridiculous when we already have Canadian-bred and Canadian-raised IMGs waiting at Canada's door to come practice here. Also, do these physicians have a completed residency, or they will have to go throught all the cr@p others IMGs go throught? Did Saskatchewan's medical college evaluate the accredition system in India?

I don't post here too often since, as an IMG, I don't have to much in common with the usual pre-meds, but in this case I just have to point out a few details from this article that are tangentially said, still are more important than the whole aticle.

Here is the first one -

The second phase is scheduled for June and will see many of the delegation’s initial members return to the country to offer contracts to the physicians who are eligible to be licensed in Saskatchewan.

...this, IMO, supposes that the government would simply exploit those IMGs as qualified, still cheap workers - they wouldn't sign a LOR but a contract; if a CMG costs to the province some 150K/year and most of them would have the right to be picky with the place of practice, those poor IMGs would have to accept any conditions because this is a "favor", right :)

“In order to provide first-class medical services to the people of Saskatchewan, we must continue to recruit internationally,” Mantler said

- this one I wouldn't even comment, it's just an obvious fallacy, still .....hey !!! maybe I should use this link for my Personal Statement next year, when I would apply through CaRMS, what do you think.... :)

just another hipocritical article about another hypocritical project

I'm purely speculating, but it might be that these physicians from India are willing to accept a lower fee than the average, in such allowing the Sask government to hire more doctors with the same amount of money. This will help with the shortage of doctor, and austerity issues too.

Does anyone know if that, in-fact, is happening? There are a tonne of Canadian IMGs who I'm sure would GLADLY have a return of service agreement for getting licenced in Canada. Sounds pretty messed up to me...

Uhhh, you're kinda lucky to be born in Canada... we have one of the most lax med ed (prior to residency) in the world... they work for 80 g, better than 250 g... and yeah, they're aces

Ridiculous when we already have Canadian-bred and Canadian-raised IMGs waiting at Canada's door to come practice here. Also, do these physicians have a completed residency, or they will have to go throught all the cr@p others IMGs go throught? Did Saskatchewan's medical college evaluate the accredition system in India?

http://www.leaderpost.com/Sask+doctor+recruitment+mission+finds+success+India/7695619/story.html

This is just ridiculous! I'm very upset.

Sure, I know that Saskatchewan is still lacking doctors (especially in rural areas), but this is just plain ridiculous! The doctor shortage situation in Saskatchewan has really improved over the past few years. There are way more doctors now, compared to 2007. So why is there need to recruit >400 foreign doctors to Saskatchewan, now? The government knew for many years that Saskatchewan was lacking doctors. Why didn't it increase the number of seats in the College of Medicine back then? Instead, they decided to recruit doctors from South Africa. Now, India.

Here are some problems I see with this recruitment:

-Knowing that the University of Saskatchewan's College of Medicine increased its' seat to 100 just this year, once these students graduate, they will have HARD times finding jobs in Saskatchewan, because most of those jobs will already have been taken up by the foreign doctors.

-Most (if not all) of the foreign doctors are very willing to come to Saskatchewan (even if it means settling in rural areas) because it's better to live in Canada, compared to their corrupt and oppressive countries.

-Once these foreign doctors move to Saskatchewan and practice here, Saskatchewan will no longer need as many doctors. This means that it will become harder for Saskatchewan residents to get into medical school and become doctors, because the medical school will raise its standards once the doctor positions in this province are saturated. This can include decreasing the number of seats in the College of Medicine, making it harder for Saskatchewan residents to compete for admission. I'm sure there are plenty of Saskatchewan students who would really love to become doctors. Not to mention the taxpayers' money that will go towards funding these foreign doctors.

Wouldn't YOU rather help the citizens in your province/country first?

Well.... how about this... I suggest that we revolutionize teaching...

Lets have the children follow their dreams, etc... engineering, cook, etc... but make them take some very interesting extracurricular activities:

Extracurricular Activities:

Lets F##KING teach Biochem from Grades 1-6... after which we start with anatomy of the human body from Grades 7-10...after which we go with physio/pharma from Grades 11-12... then every student should be allowed to undergo 4 years of medical school training (with a major emphasis on preventative medicine)... remember this is all extra-curricular while they pursue their dreams...

This method... no matter where in F##king Canada you live... you know exactly what the F##k is going on in your body and what drugs you need to take... will save a lot of money... basically YOU are the doctor... who is with me?!

Now obviously this will only succeed if we 'force' the person into undertaking this program... so some changes to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom will have to be made... minor changes... no biggie... saves millions right? Live life for the money eh?! For money drives us all... :D

K now for the problem in America, their disastrous healthcare:

Well to begin with... we should first start with moving Americans to Africa... all of them need to go... and I mean ALL... ok then, we send in a team of elite engineers and make them destroy every single F##king fast food chain that they can find... (leave no survivors)... this will probably take a few years given the copious amount of fast food restaurants in America... (but this is good... given the living conditions of Africa... I'm saying most of the obese population will die out... 'survival of the fittest')

Just to make sure that obesity isn't a problem in this 'new world' we'll make them swim over the pacific ocean... and back to America... now the people that arrive here... will obviously be well adapted... due to the natural selection process that has been ongoing for countless years... faced with a new society with no fast food restaurants... there are many possibilities...

http://www.leaderpost.com/Sask+doctor+recruitment+mission+finds+success+India/7695619/story.html

This is just ridiculous! I'm very upset.

Sure, I know that Saskatchewan is still lacking doctors (especially in rural areas), but this is just plain ridiculous! The doctor shortage situation in Saskatchewan has really improved over the past few years. There are way more doctors now, compared to 2007. So why is there need to recruit >400 foreign doctors to Saskatchewan, now? The government knew for many years that Saskatchewan was lacking doctors. Why didn't it increase the number of seats in the College of Medicine back then? Instead, they decided to recruit doctors from South Africa. Now, India.

Here are some problems I see with this recruitment:

-Knowing that the University of Saskatchewan's College of Medicine increased its' seat to 100 just this year, once these students graduate, they will have HARD times finding jobs in Saskatchewan, because most of those jobs will already have been taken up by the foreign doctors.

-Most (if not all) of the foreign doctors are very willing to come to Saskatchewan (even if it means settling in rural areas) because it's better to live in Canada, compared to their corrupt and oppressive countries.

-Once these foreign doctors move to Saskatchewan and practice here, Saskatchewan will no longer need as many doctors. This means that it will become harder for Saskatchewan residents to get into medical school and become doctors, because the medical school will raise its standards once the doctor positions in this province are saturated. This can include decreasing the number of seats in the College of Medicine, making it harder for Saskatchewan residents to compete for admission. I'm sure there are plenty of Saskatchewan students who would really love to become doctors. Not to mention the taxpayers' money that will go towards funding these foreign doctors.

Wouldn't YOU rather help the citizens in your province/country first?

No one gives a ****... people are up for short term goals... not long goals... doesn't matter where they get the doctors from... as long as they have them here...

And NO... if I were to become a doctor... I would get the F##k out of Saskatchewan as soon as possible... God... its a pain to defrost my A$$ every morning... I would expect that from EVERY person that graduates from here... the only people willing to work/stay here are the ones that have not experienced the cold... (aka: IMG's)

I'm just KIDDING EVERYONE... above post is a joke too... so don't take it seriously...

Well.... how about this... I suggest that we revolutionize teaching...

Lets F##KING teach Biochem from Grades 1-6... after which we start with anatomy of the human body from Grades 7-10...after which we go with physio/pharma from Grades 11-12... then every student should be allowed to undergo 4 years of medical school training (with a major emphasis on preventative medicine)... remember this is all extra-curricular while they pursue their dreams...

This method... no matter where in F##king Canada you live... you know exactly what the F##k is going on in your body and what drugs you need to take... will save a lot of money... basically YOU are the doctor... who is with me?!

Haha, that's the best idea! The SK board of education should really start to consider enforcing a biochemistry/physiology/pharmacology/cell biology/microbiology/immunology curriculum for students, starting in middle school. That will really help prepare them for medical school once they graduate high school! The only obstacle I would see to this idea though is finding qualified teachers to teach those classes......................

Lets F##KING teach Biochem from Grades 1-6...

For presumably completely different reasons I don't think this is a bad idea. I'd much rather have basic biology be considered a component of general science education than what's being taught now, at least it'll give people a bit of insight about their own body rather than *I take magic white pill, my fever goes away*

This is totally a scab move by the SK government. Rather than trying to offer incentives to have qualified LCME-trained physicians going to SK, they're lowering the bar and recruiting abroad to keep things cheap. Terrible move.

Only the CEOs/recruiters of the Saskdocs agency will benefit from recruiting foreigners. They get money for recruiting, but they don't give a sh*t about the people in their own province/country. It sickens me.

For presumably completely different reasons I don't think this is a bad idea. I'd much rather have basic biology be considered a component of general science education than what's being taught now, at least it'll give people a bit of insight about their own body rather than *I take magic white pill, my fever goes away*

True... true... makes them less paranoid as well... given how f##king stupid our education system really is... I'm sure that 'someone' would be smart enough to include (not a biology course) but rather a course that includes preventative medicine/nutrition/exercise/basic illnesses and their treatments/etc into a 4 year course or so... honestly... would be much better than taking some of the 'required courses' for a variety of different colleges... *cough* english *cough*... f##k english I have no idea why in hell it is a requirement... so f##king biased marking scheme...

Honestly, lets change topics here... I know its a topic on IMG's coming from other places...but honestly, the answer should be plain and simple... the conditions are extremely bad in rural areas... given how selfish people are... it naturally plays out... we have the doctors graduating from Canada wanting to work in nicer environments given their advantage of having graduated in Canada... while IMG's would do anything to leave their 'poor-disastrous-corrupt-shrouded in violence-etc' country behind and work in Canada... even if that means working in secluded areas... honestly, if doctors were as 'noble-dignified' as they were made to be... you would not be seeing a problem like this in a very well developed country... its not about a low number of doctors... its about the motives that each greedy motherf##king human being has... thats plaguing our society... the problem lies with the motives of people...So, until the government forces doctors to actually start practicing in rural areas... IMG's are our allies!

To make my point clear... think about you as a doctor... would you honestly... after enduring countless years of study/hardwork, etc... decide to live your life in a secluded area... if you said yes... I admire your decision... then think about the possible # of years you would spend there (or even months)

haha, you're awesome, i wouldn't even live in airdrie, let alone a village... also yeah, i was sick the other day, and thinking, i should get some tamiflu..., i don't have any mutated weird flu... so if they just say well, we don't give this out, all you say is then amantadine please... explain how it's related to memantine, which they should be able to rattle a sentence off about (knowing details does count, it's how i know all about ketamine in 2nd year university and why amantadine helps with adhd (mechanisms count :))... something tells me comt inhibitors with lower dose off adhd meds would also help with adhd, hmmm... yeah and that instead of using straterra, a failed depression med as a last resort (which is why we don't have reboxatine in north america... just like prozac was marketed as an antidepressent even though it's a better anti-anxiolytic to prevent association with benzos bad rep is why we don't have SSRE's here, which are amazing, seriously... also why you don't learn about huperzin a maybe, the nutritional store acetylcholinesterase inhibitor which is 12 bucks and means your memory could be amazing or good enough if u actually have alzheimers and cant afford your ridiculously overpriced meds...)

lol, who was the dude who *****ed me out... max something... yeah, seriously... just stfu btw, thanks

david, god bless ;)

True... true... makes them less paranoid as well... given how f##king stupid our education system really is... I'm sure that 'someone' would be smart enough to include (not a biology course) but rather a course that includes preventative medicine/nutrition/exercise/basic illnesses and their treatments/etc into a 4 year course or so... honestly... would be much better than taking some of the 'required courses' for a variety of different colleges... *cough* english *cough*... f##k english I have no idea why in hell it is a requirement... so f##king biased marking scheme...

Honestly, lets change topics here... I know its a topic on IMG's coming from other places...but honestly, the answer should be plain and simple... the conditions are extremely bad in rural areas... given how selfish people are... it naturally plays out... we have the doctors graduating from Canada wanting to work in nicer environments given their advantage of having graduated in Canada... while IMG's would do anything to leave their 'poor-disastrous-corrupt-shrouded in violence-etc' country behind and work in Canada... even if that means working in secluded areas... honestly, if doctors were as 'noble-dignified' as they were made to be... you would not be seeing a problem like this in a very well developed country... its not about a low number of doctors... its about the motives that each greedy motherf##king human being has... thats plaguing our society... the problem lies with the motives of people...So, until the government forces doctors to actually start practicing in rural areas... IMG's are our allies!

To make my point clear... think about you as a doctor... would you honestly... after enduring countless years of study/hardwork, etc... decide to live your life in a secluded area... if you said yes... I admire your decision... then think about the possible # of years you would spend there (or even months)

lol, who was the dude who *****ed me out... max something... yeah, seriously... just stfu btw, thanks

david, god bless

Ok... I have no idea wtf you said... lol... either you complimented me on my radical idea... or just told me to stfu... if it was the latter... no you stfu...

Religion is another example to prove my point of humans being self-centered... life is pointless... we are animals... we live and eventually die... unable to comprehend the dark abyss that awaits us in the end... the birth of religion was unavoidable... I'm not saying religion is bad... I respect it... but am voicing my opinion of it... honestly... most that religion has done besides allowing order in this society is bring violence amongst groups of people...

Ok... I have no idea wtf you said... lol... either you complimented me on my radical idea... or just told me to stfu... if it was the latter... no you stfu...

Religion is another example to prove my point of humans being self-centered... life is pointless... we are animals... we live and eventually die... unable to comprehend the dark abyss that awaits us in the end... the birth of religion was unavoidable... I'm not saying religion is bad... I respect it... but am voicing my opinion of it... honestly... most that religion has done besides allowing order in this society is bring violence amongst groups of people...

order and chaos

Archived