Premed 101 Forums

The CCFP sucks

brooksbane

Residency is a very different work environment from full time practice though. Call responsibilities tend to be a lot lighter, often home call, even for specialties that have high workload residencies, like surgery. Some people will put up with 5 years of heavy call to be able to do what they want later on.

Residency is a very different work environment from full time practice though. Call responsibilities tend to be a lot lighter, often home call, even for specialties that have high workload residencies, like surgery. Some people will put up with 5 years of heavy call to be able to do what they want later on.

For example:

A patient with a kidney stone who is having irrectractable pain presents to the ER. I, as an ER doc, think they need admission for pain control and semi urgent OR. It's 2:30 am.

If I am in an academic center, I call up the resident on call right away and ask for them to admit right now. If I am nice, I might tell them they can come at 6 to write orders but they will be responsible for the patient overnight. If I am cranky, I will demand the resident drives in to admit the patient.

If I am in the community, I know that when I call I am gonna get the staff. Likely, unless I am worried the patient needs an urgent OR, I will not call the staff until the morning because there is no reason to wake up a staff for a stable patient, who even if admitted will still sit in the ER all night due to a lack of beds upstairs. Staff sleeps all night. No change to patient care.

In my experience, for every specialty I have ever been on, once you are staff there is much more professional courtesy, which results in your life being easier.

Interesting.

So are you saying that a lot of people don't go into FM because they are interested in it but because it's the shortest residency?

Seems like a bad idea to pick a profession you don't like just to be done 3 years faster. you might be hating your job for the rest of your career just to save a couple of years of training?

Yes I have classmates who have 2 and 3 children and are 35+ years of age and they have specifically said that if they were younger they would do surgery or neurosurg if they were younger/didnt have kids.

I am not sure that they will be dissatisfied with being a family doc but just a little less exciting-pleasing while taking into account the other factors in their lives.

• 3 years later...

Honestly the biggest thing on my mind right now are job prospects. I wouldn't blink an eye if I knew that jobs were plenty at the end of the tunnel. But scarce opportunities PLUS having to lick someone's balls and brown nose to have one afterwards? no thanks

Just reviving an old thread here. I am right there with you. I would 100% suffer through the 5 years, - actually more like a total of 7 years in my academic centre - if I were guaranteed a job afterwards at least near my home town. But I know that that 7 years would be aLOT of brown-nosing with no promise of a spot later on.

The job market is going to be brutal - people on this forum and elsewhere have been saying that for years. And its true.  They may hire a few new people across ALL specialties (medical/surgical) every year.  That means hundreds of residents are leaving each year and going wherever else.

I want to stay in my urban area. I don't feel like that's asking the moon when I have a lot of personal reasons to stay and I am best suited to work here. I don't wanna move to a rural area or anywhere else that is not my home town.  I probably WOULD rather a more acute specialty because I don't love the front line- if I do finally rank family medicine first this year or otherwise match to it, I would probably want a more specialized practice focusing on the sicker patients (hospital, palliative, home care) and less on healthy younger people with minor or non-existent complaints. 

• 3 years later...