Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesia elective for 2013/2014

UBC MD14

Hello everyone, I am a 3rd year UBC student setting up my electives for next year! Long time lurker but never posted.

I will be applying to anesthesia next year, and I had some question with regards to anesthesia electives.

I have heard that Ottawa and UoC do not take students who do not rotate through there. Can anyone confirm that? Also for students who rotated through Toronto, how was the experience? Any particular preceptor that you would recommend?

Also general advice for anesthesia elective is appreciated. I have read through Anesthesia for Medical Student, and am working my way through Essential Clinical Anesthesia as my learning tool.

Can't really address your questions (I am also a third year student), but am wondering: is there any way around the 4 week minimum for UBC anesthesia electives in Vancouver? Am getting my information on the 4 week minimum from: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/visiting-student-elective-program/electives-list-2012-2013-jan-10-2/

Thanks!

Check out options or rotating at a ubc hospital that is not vgh (st Paul's, royal columbian or Victoria)

So the director of UBC anesthesia program gave an info session earlier this year to UBC medical students. He said UBC does NOT require you to do an elective from UBC to get an interview. His logic was fairly sound: whether or not you get an elective here is purely based on your luck on the computer based lottery system. He said reference letters from any anesthesiologists across the country is just as good as one from UBC.

That being said, he is not the only person on the selection committee, thus other members might feel differently about it.

Archived