Premed 101 Forums

Application Status

drtrumpet

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to all who made the interview cut! Good luck on your interview.

I'm a rejected grad student at McGill with degGPA of 3.95. I applied to the MD/PhD program.

For curiosity, does McGill send the same rejection letter to everyone to make the rejected applicant feel better (i.e. "While the Committee found strengths in your application, it was simply overtaken by others in a highly competitive pool.")?

Received the exact same e-mail regrets, and thanks for the kind words above while today has been extremely difficult if you think about it you have a lifetime to practise medicine, whether or not you are accepted this year or the next it makes no difference. As long as you are committed to a career in medicine you will find it!

Wow.

Invited!

I'm actually shocked about this one!! I love the possibility of maybe being able to stay here!

I got two emails from McGill, one saying to check my status on Minerva, and another giving more information about the interview, links to their website with directions to accepting the invitation, etc. The first email came at 10:15pm and the second email came at 10:37pm, in case anyone is interested!

cGPA:3.96, MCAT:38Q

Personal Statement: I really liked mine! I felt like I didn't have enough room to say everything I wanted, but it was honest and heartfelt.

ECs: typical well-rounded activities, showing high levels of commitment in each of them (ex two summers of research, scholarships, club execs, student government, music)

grades (+mcat, if applicable) are worth 70% of getting an interview, so it's hard to say too much about the other aspects.

Result: Invite

cGPA: 3.94 (OMSAS)

MCAT: P 13, VR 11, B 11, Q (35Q)

ECs: (Slightly above average?) Several Scholarships + NSERC, yr of research - no pubs, extensive tutoring & lecturing, 4 yrs long-term care volunteer, several exec positions , 2 yrs TAing, + lots of more unique entries

Year: 4th yr

IP/OOP: OOP

Congrats to those with interviews and good luck to everyone with interviews and acceptances!

I was informed I was invited for an interview back in the end of December, but I'm an international student so maybe that's why?

Starting to get really nervous about the MMI, I am not very informed on the health care system in either Canada or the USA... :(

Congrats to those with interviews and good luck to everyone with interviews and acceptances!

I was informed I was invited for an interview back in the end of December, but I'm an international student so maybe that's why?

Starting to get really nervous about the MMI, I am not very informed on the health care system in either Canada or the USA... :(

You do not need to have any specific knowledge about the healthcare system for the MMI.

You will be fine :)

Thank you for the kind words. :) I have been looking over the health care systems a bit and plan on delving more into medical ethics, I just find the former pretty confusing. XP

Do you mind my asking from where you're applying?

Been lurking this thread to see if any other MD-INTL applicants would pop up.

Congrats on the invite!

I'm applying from the US, and yeah I had also been lurking to see if there were any other international students as well. StudentDoctor barely has a thread on this, the forum here is much more helpful and informative though centered around IP/OOPs (which is only to be expected.)

I've been looking for that book, but can't seem to find it at my library and I think it's a little too expensive to be buying right now. :( I'm hoping to substitute http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/eppp-archive/100/201/300/cdn_medical_association/cmaj/series/bioethic.htm for it.

My only interviews for this session have been for University of Hawaii and McGill, the latter being my top choice, so I'm really hoping interviews go well. I've not done an MMI before, and my MCAT was fairly low honestly, so I'm really hoping to do well on them!

Good luck to you too!

Archived