UofT Interview Invites/Regrets (2013)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Invite (Feb 6th, timestamp 2:55pm)--March 1st interview date

wGPA: 3.98

cGPA: 3.90

MCAT: 12PS/08VR/13BS WS: S

ECs: nserc-usra, 3 research projects and conference presentations, developed experiments and instructional videos for chem department and TAed ochem for ~1year, rural clinical volunteering, 3-4 years of volunteering with developmentally challenged children, some academic awards, painting/selling artwork, and i have been managing a research lab for a little over a year.

I'm in shock, especially with my verbal flagging me.

Invite (Feb 6th, timestamp 2:55pm)--March 1st interview date

wGPA: 3.98

cGPA: 3.90

ECs: nserc-usra, 3 research projects and conference presentations, developed experiments and instructional videos for chem department and TAed ochem for ~1year, rural clinical volunteering, 3-4 years of volunteering with developmentally challenged children, some academic awards, painting/selling artwork, and i have been managing a research lab for a little over a year.

so grad students do not have to wait for a later date?

Result: Invited

cGPA: 3.84

wPGA: 3.93

MCAT: 11 PS, 10 VR, 11 BS, Q WS

ECs : 3 years of research, 5 conference presentations, TA'ed 6 courses, executive on a couple clubs, videographer at university and external organizations, helped develop courses at UofT, Tutor, hospital volunteer, campus Red Cross/Charity work, Student Advisory panel for new professors at UofT, a few awards, currently working at UofT as a Lab Technician, Lab Volunteer Coordinator and TA

Year: completed undergrad but not a grad student

Essays: Felt good about all but one. Spent weeks drafting and finalizing them.

TIMESTAMP: Today Feb 6 at 11:43AM from Leslie Taylor

Invite YESSSS MOTHER****ERS!

cGPA: 3.75

wGPA: 3.81

Graduate

MCAT: 10/10/10 Q

essays: Kinda rushed this, was running low on time

ECS: Varsity Sports team, multiple outdoor research activites, occasional volunteer positions and other random activites

I was really surprised, but I guess I was able to provide a strong sketch with my application. I definately put meaningful items on that sketch that were near and dear to my heart.

TIME STAMP: Today, 10:29am

Interview Date: 03/03

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 12PS/12VR/13BS/R

ECs: Nothing special - student gov't, research with no publications, short hospital volunteer experience, several years in a part-time job unrelated to healthcare, overseas volunteering unrelated to healthcare

Essays: Probably the reason why I got the invite, considering that my GPA is not strong and MCAT scores are only cutoffs. I gave a lot of thought to them and had them reviewed by two medical school students. I consider myself an above-average writer, although not an amazing one.

Year: 4th year UG

IP

TIME STAMP: Today, 10:29am

Interview Date: 03/03

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 12PS/12VR/13BS/R

ECs: Nothing special - student gov't, research with no publications, short hospital volunteer experience, several years in a part-time job unrelated to healthcare, overseas volunteering unrelated to healthcare

Essays: Probably the reason why I got the invite, considering that my GPA is not strong and MCAT scores are only cutoffs. I gave a lot of thought to them and had them reviewed by two medical school students. I consider myself an above-average writer, although not an amazing one.

Year: 4th year UG

IP

but your mcat scores are not "only cutoffs" are they??? if that is the cutoff then i am screweddd...

He is saying that MCAT scores are not used as an evaluative criteria beyond cut-off scores. So his strong MCAT score isn't really a huge asset to his U of T application; therefore, he is suggesting that his essays must have been comparably strong. At least that is my understanding.

He is saying that MCAT scores are not used as an evaluative criteria beyond cut-off scores. So his strong MCAT score isn't really a huge asset to his U of T application; therefore, he is suggesting that his essays must have been comparably strong. At least that is my understanding.

Yeah this is what I meant, sorry for any confusion I caused.

could it be that UofT is evaluating applicants alphabetically? i know individuals who were rejected with letters early in the alphabet, as well as people who were granted invites with last names A-D.

don't think so. I got my invite last week and my last name starts with M. Could be something weird, like omsas number...

how the heck is that funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had any idea how silly some of these neurotic thoughts were then you'd understand.

For me personally I'm glad I applied to the US at the same time. You realise just what it means to truly wait for a decision. I've heard of people hearing nothing for 5 or 7 months before finally getting an invite, after others have already been accepted (!!!).

At least Toronto is being rather forthcoming about their process. It looks like they're inviting people as they are scheduling and my suspicion is that will be complete soon (maybe another week or 2) since they started now with early march dates.

Compare that to a US school where they usually don't tell you ANYTHING. In fact, some schools are even known to silently reject you -- they end up never responding to your application.

Lastly, bear in mind that Utoronto admissions staff have stated several times there is no disadvantage to interviewing later (or chance of getting one -- yes I've seen the ridiculous statistical argument thread). Compare again to the US where many schools are rolling admissions and sometimes are known for interviewing you near the end for WAITLIST positions.

I know it's tough, but people on here should really try to have a bit more patience. You are certainly going to need a lot of it as a doctor.

Archived