Premed 101 Forums

UofT Interview Invites/Regrets (2013)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the group that simply hasn't heard anything yet. Was hoping for an invite yesterday afternoon.. Do you guys think that was the last round of invites yesterday? From the posts on the admissions blog it sounded like there weren't very many invites going out anymore. For those of you in my position, think we're just waiting on a rejection now?

Also, my e-mail account actually expires on March 12th since I no longer go to my undergraduate university. How can I inform them of this change so that they can send me my rejection? As much as I don't want it I would like to hear at least, haha.

I'm in the group that simply hasn't heard anything yet. Was hoping for an invite yesterday afternoon.. Do you guys think that was the last round of invites yesterday? From the posts on the admissions blog it sounded like there weren't very many invites going out anymore. For those of you in my position, think we're just waiting on a rejection now?

Also, my e-mail account actually expires on March 12th since I no longer go to my undergraduate university. How can I inform them of this change so that they can send me my rejection? As much as I don't want it I would like to hear at least, haha.

They still have an entire weekend of interviews to invite for. Just have to wait - I'm in the same boat.

As for your email, you should have used something permanent like gmail. I would email Leslie at U of T notifying her of the change on March 12.

Best thing to do is to email Leslie about the contact information change. I can confirm that invites for April will likely go out *next week*, and that there are plenty of undergrad spots left. With 3 interview weekends and almost 600 interviewees total, there may well be 200 invites left. One poster mentioned that about half of the people in April were grad students, but that still leaves ~100 undergrad invites left! Don't worry guys :).

Also, moderators (rmorelan?) maybe we should move this discussion into the interview forum and keep this space for stats only? Sorry for the mess, the discussion just started in here :)

Best thing to do is to email Leslie about the contact information change. I can confirm that invites for April will likely go out *next week*, and that there are plenty of undergrad spots left. With 3 interview weekends and almost 600 interviewees total, there may well be 200 invites left. One poster mentioned that about half of the people in April were grad students, but that still leaves ~100 undergrad invites left! Don't worry guys :).

Also, moderators (rmorelan?) maybe we should move this discussion into the interview forum and keep this space for stats only? Sorry for the mess, the discussion just started in here :)

Hey slipstream, where abouts did you find the information on how many interview invites were sent out? In previous years Toronto invites about 550-570; if they posted somewhere that it's more than 600 I'd like to read about it :)?

Hey slipstream, where abouts did you find the information on how many interview invites were sent out? In previous years Toronto invites about 550-570; if they posted somewhere that it's more than 600 I'd like to read about it :)?

Haha, sorry for being unclear. Last year it was 577, so I said 'about 600'. It just made it easier to divide it by 3 :)

Result: invite for March 24th

Format: email 7:24 am PST

wGPA: 3.67 (grad applicant)

MCAT: above cutoffs

Research: PhD with 5 publications, including 3 first author and 18 months of postdoc experience at a research institute in San Diego, California. Many conference presentations. A few research awards but nothing stellar.

ECs: Volunteering with humane society in Ottawa and San Diego, Volunteering with the Heart and Stroke Foundation as well as the American Heart Association, hospital volunteer, several different sports

A little bit stressed about having back to back interviews at Queen's and UofT in one weekend but glad I can do it all in one trip

Result: invite for March 24th

Format: 2:19 pm EST, February 28th (haven't been on these boards for a while)

4th year senior at McGill

wGPA: 4.0

ECs: hospital volunteering since 10th grade (continued into third year), 4 labs (from clinical neuroscience to cellular neuroscience), 3 submitted journal articles (Cell, Painx2 - not first author however), 1 poster presentation, President of 1 student club, sitting as an executive on the Student's psychology council, worked and volunteered for a non-profit for the past 8 years

Time Stamp: Thurday, March 14, 2013 (From Leslie Taylor) 6:11pm

Result: invite for April 1th

Format: email 9:24 am PST

GPA: 4.25 uwinnipeg sys (grad applicant)

MCAT: PS:14 BS:14 VR: 15 WS:T

Research: PhD with 15 publications, including 5 first author. Many conference presentations. Volunteered a few months in Ghana, Morocco, S.Africa, Tanzania. Prix Galien award recipient. Saved a baby from a burning building. Won a Juno. Was in the race for the next papacy. Ok not really. Likes the ballet and grumpy cat. Plays sports like golf and bowling.

Moral: You guys will be great, DON'T stress over this forum. As you can see any fool can write anything. :) Good Luck!

Research: PhD with 15 publications, including 5 first author. Many conference presentations. Volunteered a few months in Ghana, Morocco, S.Africa, Tanzania. Prix Galien award recipient. Saved a baby from a burning building. Won a Juno. Was in the race for the next papacy. Ok not really. Likes the ballet and grumpy cat. Plays sports like golf and bowling.

Moral: You guys will be great, DON'T stress over this forum. As you can see any fool can write anything. :) Good Luck!

PShhht, only 1 baby? Amateur.

Well played futuremd, well played:D. I enjoyed the April fool's day emphasis.

While I appreciate the joke and the lesson, please lets keep the stats thread relevant. :)

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 3.85 to 3.9

cGPA: 3.65

grad GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 10PS 10VR 12BS Q

ECs: Sports (organized & casual), undergrad clubs, volunteering (local and international), several work exp, above average research but no pubs other than conference abstracts & posters, handful of grants/bursarys and OGS (1yr)

Essays: Diverse examples, did my best to incorporate the 4 groups of characteristics they were looking for, spent a fair amount of time reviewing but didn't have someone else proof-read

Year: 2nd year MPH

IP

A little surprised - I was really pulling for UofT but glad it's finally over and I can move on.

Result: Regrets

wGPA: 3.85 to 3.9

cGPA: 3.65

grad GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 10PS 10VR 12BS Q

ECs: Sports (organized & casual), undergrad clubs, volunteering (local and international), several work exp, above average research but no pubs other than conference abstracts & posters, handful of grants/bursarys and OGS (1yr)

Essays: Diverse examples, did my best to incorporate the 4 groups of characteristics they were looking for, spent a fair amount of time reviewing but didn't have someone else proof-read

Year: 2nd year MPH

IP

A little surprised - I was really pulling for UofT but glad it's finally over and I can move on.

Sorry to hear that... When did you hear?

ha ha ha... yes I suppose this isn't an "official" rejection but it certainly isn't an assumption. LD herself said no interview, so I think it fits here.

Ahhh you can't give up though; it might be no interview.. scheduled YET.

OR... "not yet reviewed" could be thought of as "no interview" because they haven't gotten to your file? Did she say your file was reviewed (or some other possible context for why you're interpreting it as a definite no?)

Thanks for your positive outlook. I'm afraid there is no reading between the lines with this one. It's a definite no. I'm not sure it would be appropriate to post the actual email.

I am assuming you had some extenuating circumstances that made it so that you HAD to know one way or the other to resolve a potential unsolvable conflict or something?

TIME STAMP: March 15th, 7:45 am (Alberta time)

Interview Date: April 5th

OMSAS GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 14P/11V/13B/S

ECs: Sustained for several years (a wide mix of things)

Essays: I did several drafts before submitting (so I spent a ton of time).

I really thought I was going to be rejected; I hope this brings hope to those still waiting. Best of luck!

Hey all,

I just received an interview invite today at 11:28am Atl Time. Interview date: April 6th

OMSAS: 3.85

MCAT: 30s

OOP (does that matter?)

ECs: based on my stats, I'm sure you can guess this is my strongest aspect

Essays: Several drafts

I was offered an interview this morning. Although this may seem odd to some I won't be attending because I've already been accepted to my top school. I'll be letting U of T know today because I really hope someone else can have my spot. I've been waitlisted for two years and I know what difference one or two people can make to your acceptance vs. rejection. I hope someone gets a chance with this interview position, rocks their interview, and gets in! Good luck guys! :)

I was invited almost a month ago since I had sent an e-mail while working overseas, but decided against posting to not ruffle any feathers. (stressful time for people)

OMSAS: 3.86

MCAT: 38R

IP

ECs: Various from varsity athlete, NSERC, working overseas as a teacher

Essays: Didn't go over my essays almost at all... I have a bad habit

P.s.

Can I recommend k508 for a Nobel Prize or something?

From someone who has been rejected for the past two years, I really appreciate it. I heard of people rejecting interviews in the States, but not in Canada. Cheers.

Hey all,

I just received an interview invite today at 11:28am Atl Time. Interview date: April 6th

OMSAS: 3.85

MCAT: 30s

OOP (does that matter?)

ECs: based on my stats, I'm sure you can guess this is my strongest aspect

Essays: Several drafts

I was offered an interview this morning. Although this may seem odd to some I won't be attending because I've already been accepted to my top school. I'll be letting U of T know today because I really hope someone else can have my spot. I've been waitlisted for two years and I know what difference one or two people can make to your acceptance vs. rejection. I hope someone gets a chance with this interview position, rocks their interview, and gets in! Good luck guys! :)

Just curious: What's your top school?

Archived