UofT Interview Invites/Regrets (2013)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I'm actually posting this:

Time Stamp: Mar 19 11:58 AM (EST)

Interview Date: Apr 7

Result: Invite

cGPA: 3.45 (3.28 in first UG, 3.99 in second UG)

wGPA: I didn't qualify for wGPA

MCAT: - 10/11/12/M (PS/VR/BS/WS)

ECs: I just pursued my interests and used my ABS to highlight the skills I've developed. Research was by far the biggest aspect of my application. Four publications (two 1st author, one 2nd author), several abstracts and conference presentations, small research awards, a patent, employment as a research assistant in labs and at Schulich's Continuing Professional Development office. Other ECs included weekly physician shadowing, exec on a student advocacy club, volunteer for a community nutrition program, TAing, captain of intramural team, guitar for 10+ years, etc.

Essays: I answered the questions honestly and really tried to emphasize how I demonstrated the skills or addressed the problem.

Year: Finished MSc in 2011. Final year of a second UG degree.

I honestly didn't expect this as I'm battling a low GPA in my first UG degree and an abysmal showing on the WS. I've been rejected pre-interview by 7 schools in the past two years. I have given up so much and worked so hard to pursue this dream. Even though it's only an interview, it is very encouraging to know that I am on the right track and am not wasting my time. I really hope that other non-trads battling a low GPA will see this and realize that low grades can be overcome with hard work and sacrifice. Best of luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting many of you on April 7th :D

I honestly didn't expect this as I'm battling a low GPA in my first UG degree and an abysmal showing on the WS. I've been rejected pre-interview by 7 schools in the past two years. I have given up so much and worked so hard to pursue this dream.

Congrats mikeb88, your tenacity is truly admirable! It's also not just an interview, sounds to me like you've definitely earned it and like you've got the life experience to perform really well.

Way to go!

I found all of the other posts helpful while I was waiting so I figured I'd post my results as well:

Time Stamp: Mar 19 4:35 PM (EST)

Result: Invite

Interview Date: Apr 7

cGPA: 3.61 (3.91 and 4.0 in 3rd and 4th year, respectively).

wGPA: I didn't qualify for wGPA (4.5 credits in 2nd and 4th year)

MCAT: - 11/10/10/Q (PS/VR/BS/WS)

ECs: Executive Committee Member for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, lots of sports, gave several public lectures on cancer. 2 journal publications (1 first author), 2 manuscripts in prep (1 first author), many conference presentations, 2 encyclopaedia articles, CIHR Doctoral Studentship.

Essays: Wrote honestly, revised and rewrote several times over a few days.

Year: 5th Year PhD

Congratulations to all other invitees - I look forward to meeting all of you on April 7th. For those still waiting, don't give up hope!:)

TIME STAMP: March 21st, 10:36AM

Interview Date: April 5-7 weekend

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14P/9V/10B/S

4th year - IP

ECs: diverse experiences; research heavy

Essays: Was really worried about these because reading them now...I could definitely have written them better! :o

This took forever, but I am glad I have the opportunity to interview now! Good luck to those waiting! I know it's tough, but if you believe your application is strong, it is only a matter of time! :)

TIME STAMP: March 21st, 10:36AM

Interview Date: April 5-7 weekend

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14P/9V/10B/S

ECs: diverse experiences; research heavy

Essays: Was really worried about these because reading them now...I could definitely have written them better! :o

This took forever, but I am glad I have the opportunity to interview now! Good luck to those waiting! I know it's tough, but if you believe your application is strong, it is only a matter of time! :)

Are you an undergraduate or grad applicant?

TIME STAMP: March 21st, 1:36pm

Interview Date: April 6

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 10V/11B/12P/Q

ECs: coaching, few hundred hours at the hospital, some other random stuff. No research

Essays: Average. Well written but nothing crazy.

Undergrad Applicant (4th Year)

Will not be attending the interview so hopefully someone else on here gets the interview spot!

Hey guys, does anybody know when the last batch of invites/regrets goes out? I'm sitting here waiting for UofT to reject me already but the delay is absolutely killing me. I applied to all the schools in Ontario (except Northern) and have received regrets from all of them except UofT. I know it's quite pessimistic of me to assume I'll definitely be receiving regrets from UofT but honestly my 8 on Verbal Reasoning is a huge red flag and I think it's been my downfall throughout this entire application cycle because to be honest the rest of my application was pretty good!

Any way, I sort of typed too much up there, I just wanted to know if anybody knows when the final batch will be sent, as in what week.

Thank you!

http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/

According to the blog, you could be hearing back as late as AFTER April 7th.

Hey guys, does anybody know when the last batch of invites/regrets goes out? I'm sitting here waiting for UofT to reject me already but the delay is absolutely killing me. I applied to all the schools in Ontario (except Northern) and have received regrets from all of them except UofT. I know it's quite pessimistic of me to assume I'll definitely be receiving regrets from UofT but honestly my 8 on Verbal Reasoning is a huge red flag and I think it's been my downfall throughout this entire application cycle because to be honest the rest of my application was pretty good!

Any way, I sort of typed too much up there, I just wanted to know if anybody knows when the final batch will be sent, as in what week.

Thank you!

Thank you!

It seems as if most offers will be given out in the next week, but a few files will be left until after the. April 5,6,7 weekend. I'm so sorry for your wait.

I wish you the best of luck!

I'm not sure if these were the cutoffs this year, but I read on their website that the MCAT cutoffs were 9s. I hope that's not true for you! Maybe they're not strict cutoffs? I've known people who have had under the recommended scores at some schools and still received interviews!

Good luck!

I believe the MCAT is used as "flags" 9's and an N get you through without being "flagged". You can still get in with a flag but I believe your app will have to make up for it. I am flagged with an M in writing ...I think? I have not received anything yet and I do not know if they are still using writing this year? I was waiting to book flights for my Mac interview until I heard from Toronto as I am already in at a great school and have no money to travel for 1 interview might be worth it if I could do both same weekend though...have to make my mind up soon...

It seems as if most offers will be given out in the next week, but a few files will be left until after the. April 5,6,7 weekend. I'm so sorry for your wait.

I wish you the best of luck!

I'm not sure if these were the cutoffs this year, but I read on their website that the MCAT cutoffs were 9s. I hope that's not true for you! Maybe they're not strict cutoffs? I've known people who have had under the recommended scores at some schools and still received interviews!

Good luck!

Thank man, I appreciate the reply. It's such a shame because I didn't do too bad on the other sections (BS - 12, PS - 11, WS - T) but the 8 on VR completely ruined everything. My extracurriculars are really good and my cGPA is 3.85 which is med school-worthy, so that red flag on my VR score really just ruined my application.

Rejected

Timestamp: March 22nd 4:56pm

OMSAS GPA: 3.67

wGPA: 3.8something

MCAT: 36R (14/10/12)

ECs: 6+ years hospital volunteering, MCAT instructor, council exec positions, research in nutrition and anesthesia

Essays: I liked them? Had a few people read them over.

4th year undergrad

Well...here's hoping Queen's works out.

Best of luck to everyone!

Time Stamp: Mar 22 4:59pm EST (From Leslie Taylor)
Result: Regrets
GPA: 3.92 (not qualified for weighting)
MCAT: >9/9/9
ECs: Quite a bit that I feel represent who I am
Essays: Worked pretty hard on them
Year: 3rd year Undergrad
IP/OOP: IP

So this is it, no invites this year. Ah well there's always 4th year anyways and I'll get a nice GPA boost from weighting formulas. Good luck to everyone else!

Regrets: Mar 22 (5:00 pm)

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), recreational therapy at Alzheimer's Care Centre (1 yr), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer.

LORs: 2 x research profs (1 leader, 1 collaborator), Alzheimer's volunteer supervisor

Rejected, but it doesn't even matter because I got accepted to my top choice Irish school and am going to work ridiculously hard, get a residency spot, be the best goddam doctor I can be, and show Ontario schools WHAT THEY MISSED OUT ON.

Regrets: Mar 22 (5:00 pm)

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 14 PS/10 VR/13 BS/ S

Year: 3rd yr UG

ECs: Hospital volunteer (100 hrs), recreational therapy at Alzheimer's Care Centre (1 yr), teaching at a children's science camp (1 summer, 6-7 hrs/day), volunteering at a several smaller events (school tour guide for incoming students, website development for smaller charity events as advertising, cancer research runs, cultural festivals), tutoring (grade 12 science/math), writing and editing for the university newspaper (2.5 yrs - junior, then senior editor), intramural sports (2 yrs)

Awards: 3-4 high school awards, 1 university in-course award (for top mark), 2 other scholarships from the university (academic based - $3000 and $1500), national chem contest (99%ile)

Research (no pubs, but good experiences): (1) With a professor who taught me. He knows how I work in groups/as a leader etc. (2) Employed by prof (who did not teach me) for 1 summer.

LORs: 2 x research profs (1 leader, 1 collaborator), Alzheimer's volunteer supervisor

I had very similar stats to yours (although I've graduated and I have a 4.0 from weighting) - could anyone explain why we were rejected? I thought UofT put a lot of weight into your GPA? I also believe I had strong essays. I'm really not sure what to change if I reapply next year - maybe I should just save the money because I can't figure this out.

Time Stamp: Mar 22 4:59pm EST (From Leslie Taylor)

GPA: 3.7

MCAT: 10/9/10/O - PS/VR/BS/WS

ECs: Research (graduate), President of Graduate Student Association, volunteer with Neuroscience outreach program, President of Competitive Swim club, intramural and competitive sports (university), work experience as swim team coach, lifeguard, swim instructor, prenatal aquafit instructor. (etc, etc)

Essays: Meh. I guess ok. Hard to tell!

Year: 2nd year MSc (submitting thesis in May)

IP/OOP: OOP

Disappointed, and if I want to re-apply will have to re-write MCATs. :S

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!

Well, seems like they finally got around to sending a batch of regrets out.

wGPA: ~3.85

MCAT: 10/10/10/Q

ECs: Let's Talk Science (3 years), TA for 1st medical students in Gross Anatomy (2 years) and TA for 2nd year medical students in Neuroanatomy (2 years), member of our graduate student association for 2 years, some hospital volunteering, random community events, 2 publications, 1 in progress, over 20 presentations, 6 published abstracts, etc etc.

Essays: Thought I incorporated all of their cluster characteristics in a way that reflected what I got out of the activities mentioned

Year: 3rd yr MSc

IP/OOP: IP (but MSc in another province).

Glad that's over. Hopefully McMaster works out!

Time Stamp: March 22, 4:57 pm (Leslie Taylor)

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 13/8/12/Q

ECs: Lots of volunteering at church/ some hospital volunteering. VP of student society, peer mentor, lab experience no pubs or conferences. Lots of work in landscaping and at a retirement home serving food. Also TAing. No notable scholarships or research awards.

Essays: Did not spend a lot of time on them

Year: 3

IP/OOP: IP

I was so happy to hear back, I did not even care it was a rejection.

Archived