Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Eh guys! You probably don't know me as I usually stick to the québec forums, but I would really need a piece of advice. I was accepted to McGill and to Université de Montréal, and I really don't know which one I should attend next year. It's been bothering me since I received the offers last week. I can't stop thinking about it. I know it's up to me and that there is no bad or good answer, but maybe you could help me shed some light on this.

Basically, the pre-clinical years at UdeM seem awesome (lectures at first and then PBL, which, I'm sure, would fit me perfectly), but I think I would rather study at Mcgill because for many little reasons that, put together, make me hesitate :/ For example, I would improve my English (As I'm a native French speaker and only learned English at school), the campus is really nice, current students and people from the faculty at the interviews really impressed me, I might have more oportunities in the future based on the fact that McGill is an english institution and is pretty well known worldwide, etc. The thing is, I don't like their preclinical years curriculum that much, as it includes mainly lectures.

I don't really ask for elaborate answers or definite ones, opinions would be appreciated though :) Thanks for helping me solving this dilemma

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks like I have a new research project - this is going to be interesting! I have never been handed this much already organized data to shift through - it is all in neurointerventional radiology.

This is something I cannot mess up - this is real research on a really important clinical problem. Welcome to the big leagues!

That sounds really interesting! I hope this isn't a too-personal question, but how rare is this kind of opportunity for a resident? Do these come up occasionally, and are uber-super competitive? Or are these opportunities available, but only if you have the initiative and drive to look for these opportunities (and assuming you have the right credentials)? I'm just wondering, because I know in grad school there was always an extra research opportunity somewhere, but not that many; so they were competitive, but you had to look for them (be interested) and then know how to pitch your interests and talents to the position(s) available.

That sounds really interesting! I hope this isn't a too-personal question, but how rare is this kind of opportunity for a resident? Do these come up occasionally, and are uber-super competitive? Or are these opportunities available, but only if you have the initiative and drive to look for these opportunities (and assuming you have the right credentials)? I'm just wondering, because I know in grad school there was always an extra research opportunity somewhere, but not that many; so they were competitive, but you had to look for them (be interested) and then know how to pitch your interests and talents to the position(s) available.

Doing research is certainly not rare, being involve on interesting questions isn't rare either. The "cool ones" are competitive usually - particularly in fields where you know you need research to get a job. Any field you need to stand out in.

Some like this though is probably a once in a career type of gift from above. You do/did research - how rare would it be for you to have walked into a researchers office you had never met before in the exact end field you are interested in and say

"Hi starting off resident/researcher, I am a top researcher/doctor in my field (very much so true). I just met you but your background is interesting. I want you to be first author on two papers in a high impact journal - the top journal in your end field actually. Here is all the data you need - huge never before used in a paper dataset -probably the largest in canada, maybe North America, I have already paid someone to collect it - hundreds of hours of work going back 10 years at the hospital. Here is a paid phd graduate in epi/stats ready to work for you on the analysis. Here is a draft outline of the paper I wrote up. Here is all the papers related to this published and vetted up to 6 months ago dating back 7 years, and the librarian who helped find them is ready to assist. After publishing we hit the conference circuit so we can meet up with all the other doctors in the same field. Every single doctor at the hospital in this area contributed to the research and they are all rooting for it to be published (your name and all of their names will be on it - you are still first author though). Oh and the research area is about actually saving lives and how to do it - how to do the right thing in the clinical setting (ie my kind of research). I would really like to thank you for volunteering for the project"

I was beyond stunned. My first thought was guilt - guilt on being first author on something others did so much on already (not that their isn't a lot still left to do of course). The next thought was fear - do NOT mess this up, for the love of all things green and grassy do not mess this up :)

Doing research is certainly not rare, being involve on interesting questions isn't rare either. The "cool ones" are competitive usually - particularly in fields where you know you need research to get a job. Any field you need to stand out in.

Some like this though is probably a once in a career type of gift from above. You do/did research - how rare would it be for you to have walked into a researchers office you had never met before in the exact end field you are interested in and say

"Hi starting off resident/researcher, I am a top researcher/doctor in my field (very much so true). I just met you but your background is interesting. I want you to be first author on two papers in a high impact journal - the top journal in your end field actually. Here is all the data you need - huge never before used in a paper dataset -probably the largest in canada, maybe North America, I have already paid someone to collect it - hundreds of hours of work going back 10 years at the hospital. Here is a paid phd graduate in epi/stats ready to work for you on the analysis. Here is a draft outline of the paper I wrote up. Here is all the papers related to this published and vetted up to 6 months ago dating back 7 years, and the librarian who helped find them is ready to assist. After publishing we hit the conference circuit so we can meet up with all the other doctors in the same field. Every single doctor at the hospital in this area contributed to the research and they are all rooting for it to be published (your name and all of their names will be on it - you are still first author though). Oh and the research area is about actually saving lives and how to do it - how to do the right thing in the clinical setting (ie my kind of research). I would really like to thank you for volunteering for the project"

I was beyond stunned. My first thought was guilt - guilt on being first author on something others did so much on already (not that their isn't a lot still left to do of course). The next thought was fear - do NOT mess this up, for the love of all things green and grassy do not mess this up :)

Hahaha, wow, definitely lots of pressure! I can relate to the OMG-DON'T-MESS-UP feelings, but you'll do great :) and thanks for sharing this, it must be exciting to be a part of something that will be so meaningful to the field!

so many ignorant ppl. Someone employee got all mad and accused me of not being a member at this sports & rec club...I showed him my membership card then he just ran away.

I tired to get his name but he left the scene, wtf. I do not know that guy's problem. Its not like I was breaking the dress code or am a horrible player.

I cant even believe what happened is real. I am waiting for the hidden cameras to tell me I am being punk'd/pranked

I'm officially a marathoner! :D (and i never though i would say that before 40years old until a few months ago hahah)

Congrats! :) How do you officially become one, is it once you've participated in a marathon of a certain length (5K, 10K, etc.)? Hopefully that's not a dumb question :P haha

Back doing BJJ again, and it's as amazing as I remembered it being. The people are great, too. Focusing on it in the evenings is really helping me not think about waitlist stuff - I end up tired enough to shower and sleep right when I get home.

Good luck with the waitlist! Hopefully you're tired enough not to dream about it either :P:D

I just re-watched Star Wars IV. I want to be a Jedi sooo bad… *hand wave* "You WILL accept me to your med school"

It seems like members of pm101 quickly become 'senior' members; it doesn't take too many posts, and then we have the same label forever. So I think we need more member descriptions past 'senior.' (I'd suggest 'Yoda' member but I think that's the recent Star Wars viewing talking)

I just re-watched Star Wars IV. I want to be a Jedi sooo bad… *hand wave* "You WILL accept me to your med school"

It seems like members of pm101 quickly become 'senior' members; it doesn't take too many posts, and then we have the same label forever. So I think we need more member descriptions past 'senior.' (I'd suggest 'Yoda' member but I think that's the recent Star Wars viewing talking)

ha :) there is only moderator after that - perhaps some more levels would be useful. Some measure of helpfulness perhaps as well maybe.

I actually sent a lightsaber to a premed member when they got into medical school. Seemed appropriate somehow.

ha :) there is only moderator after that - perhaps some more levels would be useful. Some measure of helpfulness perhaps as well maybe.

I actually sent a lightsaber to a premed member when they got into medical school. Seemed appropriate somehow.

!!! SO/ALWAYS APPROPRIATE :D

!!! SO/ALWAYS APPROPRIATE :D

ha :) we have/had a star wars thing going on at the medical school. On my last day there we had a duel with ultra sabers in the main classroom with another student in a different year. Naturally I had the green jedi saber, while he had a red one. Full contact etc - ha, good times!

Eh guys! You probably don't know me as I usually stick to the québec forums, but I would really need a piece of advice. I was accepted to McGill and to Université de Montréal, and I really don't know which one I should attend next year.

Wow, congratulations! Very jealous, as I love Montreal, always wanted McGill MD (but sadly cannot as I am OOP), and have need of ameliorer mon francais. ;)

My primary concern would be language, personally - I think that not being an absolute master of the language of instruction might discourage me, especially with the different roots, suffixes, etymology, etc which can be sometimes quite subtle. On the other hand, so much of medicine is latin-based and very scientific, so I suspect that no shortage of dual-language resources would be easy to find & use. I'd almost want to take UdeM and practice english in other contexts. Do you think there are disadvantages to coming from a french university when applying for jobs elsewhere? i tend to think not, but you are right that McGill is really well-recognized globally. I also really liked McGill's program apporach when I looked at it a few years ago - holisitic, steeped in scottish history/tradition, and very well recognized.

Either way, you have a difficult choice ahead! Good luck in deciding, and well done!

Eh guys! You probably don't know me as I usually stick to the québec forums, but I would really need a piece of advice. I was accepted to McGill and to Université de Montréal, and I really don't know which one I should attend next year. It's been bothering me since I received the offers last week. I can't stop thinking about it. I know it's up to me and that there is no bad or good answer, but maybe you could help me shed some light on this.

Basically, the pre-clinical years at UdeM seem awesome (lectures at first and then PBL, which, I'm sure, would fit me perfectly), but I think I would rather study at Mcgill because for many little reasons that, put together, make me hesitate :/ For example, I would improve my English (As I'm a native French speaker and only learned English at school), the campus is really nice, current students and people from the faculty at the interviews really impressed me, I might have more oportunities in the future based on the fact that McGill is an english institution and is pretty well known worldwide, etc. The thing is, I don't like their preclinical years curriculum that much, as it includes mainly lectures.

I don't really ask for elaborate answers or definite ones, opinions would be appreciated though :) Thanks for helping me solving this dilemma

Hey j'ai exactement le même dilemme étant donné que j'ai été accepté aux deux et je choisis McGill parce que:

1- préclinique de 14 mois de temps scolaire vs 20 à l'UdeM

2- plus petite classe (185 vs 300)

3- en proportion, plus de gens un peu plus vieux (plus de maturité)

4- pas besoin d'apprendre la terminologie deux fois durant la préclinique (en anglais et en francais pour chaque mot)

5- j'ai l'impression que la faculté est plus proche de ses étudiants: par exemple, ils répondent vraiment à nos questions lors du processu de sélection vs UdeM, où t'es juste un numéro, et selon ton année, ta cote R peut être complètement différente (t'es cégépien, donc t'as pas vécu ceci)

6- cours théoriques les matins avec enregistrements (donc possibilité de skip les cours HA!)

J'avais surtout hésité avec ces choses de l'UdeM:

1- plus de vacances en 2e année à l'UdeM: semaine de relâche + 2 mois l'été vs à McGill, pas de semaine de relâche et seulement 1 mois l'été

2- plus de centres hospitaliers de l'UdeM à Montréal que McGill

3- un seul examen à la fin de chaque bloc, vs McGill, où il y en a plusieurs souvent d'affilés (i.e. c'est un peu plus soft à l'UdeM)

Pis finalement, pour la préclinique, APP ou cours didactiques, il va falloir que tu fasses beaucoup de travail individuel. Donc je doute que ça change tant que ça ta formation. (Je préfère moi-aussi l'apprentissage individuel que les cours didactiques)

Congrats! :) How do you officially become one, is it once you've participated in a marathon of a certain length (5K, 10K, etc.)? Hopefully that's not a dumb question :P haha

Haha no, that´s not dumb at all!

I got my 42.2k medal so for me, it´s official now since i have the proof i did it haha :P

If we're measuring helpfulness, I'd suggest having a 'troll' rank as well. Obviously this should be reserved for a select few.

Being an independent self-directed learner, I skipped all lectures, just read the notes in a fraction of the time. So, don't be concerned about the lectures. Both med schools are great, so even if you flip a coin, you will be safe. However, McGill will give you a major advantage in becoming fluently bilingual. So, if I were you I would choose McGill.

If we're measuring helpfulness, I'd suggest having a 'troll' rank as well. Obviously this should be reserved for a select few.

Yes, reserved for a select few, and we could even have a sliding troll scale: bridge troll (mean), harry potter troll (boogerssss), etc.

Yes, reserved for a select few, and we could even have a sliding troll scale: bridge troll (mean), harry potter troll (boogerssss), etc.

Part of navigating the interwebs is learning how to recognize trolls. If the forum were to brand members as trolls, new posters would lose a fantastic learning opportunity.

Do we want the forum goers of tomorrow to be woefully unprepared?

Part of navigating the interwebs is learning how to recognize trolls. If the forum were to brand members as trolls, new posters would lose a fantastic learning opportunity.

Do we want the forum goers of tomorrow to be woefully unprepared?

so it's a trolucation?

Archived