Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to everyone who received good news yesterday! Especially to Hockeynut - so glad to see you were accepted to NOSM!

To those on the waiting lists - good luck and I hope you get in off the lists!

To those who weren't successful this year - good luck with improving your applications for next year. I wish you all the best.

For those still waiting to hear back from other schools - I hope you get some good news this week!

What happened for your med school goals? Did you try applying for other professional schools like dent or opto?

What happened for your med school goals? Did you try applying for other professional schools like dent or opto?

I'm pursuing the only other health care profession of interest to me:  public health/community nutrition/dietetics.  Dent and optometry hold absolutely no interest to me. 

My husband and I decided that at this point in my life, this is the right choice for us.  Having spoken with friends in clerkship and residency, I wasn't thrilled about the very long hours with little sleep.  I need sleep in order to be able to function properly.  I know some people say that you get used to it, but what if you don't?  Since it's taken me over a year to recover from a serious concussion, I'm not even sure I'd be able to handle pre-clerkship, let alone clerkship.

I'll be very happy working in public health and community nutrition as a registered dietitian, so I know this is the right choice for me. 

I looked through your blog (which is great by the way) and is that MRI scan a stock photo or of your brain? Cool if it is! (hopefully that didn't sound stalker-ish). My optometrist has a machine that produces a colour image of the inside of your eyeballs, she emailed me copies and I thought they were the neatest thing

Chem will be the death of me... Physics, easy. Calculus, easy. But damn it, throw me in chem and I'm lost haha...

Ahhh, chemistry. I'm suspicious of people who enjoy chemistry.

I looked through your blog (which is great by the way) and is that MRI scan a stock photo or of your brain? Cool if it is! (hopefully that didn't sound stalker-ish). My optometrist has a machine that produces a colour image of the inside of your eyeballs, she emailed me copies and I thought they were the neatest thing

Ahhh, chemistry. I'm suspicious of people who enjoy chemistry.

It was my brain yes, I waited around for the scans so I could see haha. I'd love to see my eyes, but It's been probably 3 years since I last went... I should probably go sometime soon haha.

Seriously, it's so brutal. We just finished going over nuclear chem, I've asked 6 people, 2 are chem/biochem majors, and all 6 have taken at least 2 chems on top of this one, and no one knows what the hell is going on because it wasn't ever covered haha. Good start to the chem term...

One of those days where i regret this second undergrad degree.

I don't think my grades + ECs will be good enough to get in, and I'm starting to feel like this was a collossal waste of time. I don't even have a reasonable back up plan. I wish I had done well in my Math degree, I'd at least have somewhere to go when im done this med school "attempt".

One of those days where i regret this second undergrad degree.

I don't think my grades + ECs will be good enough to get in, and I'm starting to feel like this was a collossal waste of time. I don't even have a reasonable back up plan. I wish I had done well in my Math degree, I'd at least have somewhere to go when im done this med school "attempt".

What exactly is discouraging you if you don't mind me asking?

What exactly is discouraging you if you don't mind me asking?

Just looking at the stats being posted on this forum. I have a decent GPA for my first year back (3.88), but all I see are 3.9+ who have volunteered around the world, are execs of 15 different clubs and have accomplishments just short of solving the Middle East conflict. I can't compete with that. In order for me to "improve" my ECs, I need to neglect another EC that I've been involved in for about 5 years, and neglect a job where I teach children (which means I'd also have to find another means of employment because I'd be cutting it really close if I didn't have some inflow of money)

I figured this year, I would be able to improve my GPA, but because of 1 terrible TA, I have to spend almost my entire week doing work for 1 lab, and despite what I do in the lab, she gives me (and everyone else) an unreasonably bad grade. Luckily the rest of my courses aren't so bad, but I'm busting my ass to get an A in a class that should be really easy if I had picked a different lab slot.

Just looking at the stats being posted on this forum. I have a decent GPA for my first year back (3.88), but all I see are 3.9+ who have volunteered around the world, are execs of 15 different clubs and have accomplishments just short of solving the Middle East conflict. I can't compete with that. In order for me to "improve" my ECs, I need to neglect another EC that I've been involved in for about 5 years, and neglect a job where I teach children (which means I'd also have to find another means of employment because I'd be cutting it really close if I didn't have some inflow of money)

I figured this year, I would be able to improve my GPA, but because of 1 terrible TA, I have to spend almost my entire week doing work for 1 lab, and despite what I do in the lab, she gives me (and everyone else) an unreasonably bad grade. Luckily the rest of my courses aren't so bad, but I'm busting my ass to get an A in a class that should be really easy if I had picked a different lab slot.

Hey, I'd like to give some caution and advice about comparing yourself to what people post on pre-med forums (or forums in general really). There are several factors in online community forums in which create a bias that will give you the wrong impression about the people entering medicine, almost like a lens that screws up clear vision:

1) The people on the forum represent a tiny fraction of the entire applicant pool. There's a LOT more applicants (and thus diversity) that apply to medicine each year. 

2) The people who are active in these forums really represent the most "hard core" (if you will) of applicants. If you think about it, there are a lot of people who just apply without doing any further research as to how they should word their application, prepare for interviews, etc. Only the highly dedicated people are the ones who search online, forums, and look for answers. As a result, the stats that you're going to see posted here represent the high end of the spectrum and may not be an accurate picture of what is needed to enter. 

3) It's online. It's anonymous. People have a tendency to brag and/or slightly exaggerate things for others when they know no one will verify what they're saying. Of course, on the application there is verification and so some of the activities that you might see here might be an exaggerated version of what they're actually entering into their applications. 

4) No one excels at everything. If someone tells you that they have perfect ECs, 43 Mcat, 4.0, and they've won national debate awards and so they're set for the interview - they're lying. Most applicants excel in a few areas and have other weak areas. Things have a tendency of balancing themselves out, most of the time. 

So again, don't lose hope based on what you read on these forums (and obviously other forums). They represent only a fraction of the actual applicant pools. Keep fighting!  ;)

Hey, I'd like to give some caution and advice about comparing yourself to what people post on pre-med forums (or forums in general really). There are several factors in online community forums in which create a bias that will give you the wrong impression about the people entering medicine, almost like a lens that screws up clear vision:

1) The people on the forum represent a tiny fraction of the entire applicant pool. There's a LOT more applicants (and thus diversity) that apply to medicine each year. 

2) The people who are active in these forums really represent the most "hard core" (if you will) of applicants. If you think about it, there are a lot of people who just apply without doing any further research as to how they should word their application, prepare for interviews, etc. Only the highly dedicated people are the ones who search online, forums, and look for answers. As a result, the stats that you're going to see posted here represent the high end of the spectrum and may not be an accurate picture of what is needed to enter. 

3) It's online. It's anonymous. People have a tendency to brag and/or slightly exaggerate things for others when they know no one will verify what they're saying. Of course, on the application there is verification and so some of the activities that you might see here might be an exaggerated version of what they're actually entering into their applications. 

4) No one excels at everything. If someone tells you that they have perfect ECs, 43 Mcat, 4.0, and they've won national debate awards and so they're set for the interview - they're lying. Most applicants excel in a few areas and have other weak areas. Things have a tendency of balancing themselves out, most of the time. 

So again, don't lose hope based on what you read on these forums (and obviously other forums). They represent only a fraction of the actual applicant pools. Keep fighting!  ;)

I don't agree with point 4. Of course they don't excel at everything but there very well could be people out there who excel in everything they try at. The situation you described could totally be true. It's rare, but possible.

I don't agree with point 4. Of course they don't excel at everything but there very well could be people out there who excel in everything they try at. The situation you described could totally be true. It's rare, but possible.

There are an infinite amount of possible things to do, there's no possible way for someone to excel in everything. If I go through life and know I'm bad at certain things so I avoid them, that's not an accomplishment to say I excel at everything I do, because I've avoided what would render my a "failure".

Apps are done and feeling a bit depressed. Here's to another year of waiting and stress!

I think it might be the last one either way - I've invested so much time bettering myself since last cycle that I'm not sure I have the strength to do this a third time if I get rejected pre-interview again. I'd be out of options.

Apps are done and feeling a bit depressed. Here's to another year of waiting and stress!

I think it might be the last one either way - I've invested so much time bettering myself since last cycle that I'm not sure I have the strength to do this a third time if I get rejected pre-interview again. I'd be out of options.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic but this is my first application cycle so I'm sure next year will feel very different. I hope you get in! You've been very helpful and kind to other applicants. :)

I thought the same on my second application cycle! This is my fourth application cycle and if things don't work out this year, I plan on applying again! :) Never give up!

Archived