What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

People often give me funny looks when I casually say "I hate people"

Here's what the funny-look-givers don't know: 

I programmed this experiment for a prof and the software is super glitchy. I was looking through the data and noticed a glitch that would've invalidated maybe 5 runs (it costs them absolutely nothing to run this experiment). Not only do I not get thanked for picking up on this problem and heroically running to the lab to fix it (until 10PM last night, mind you), but I actually get cussed out by the prof who ACKNOWLEDGES THAT IT WAS A GLITCH (and subsequently not my fault).

/rant

/I hate everything

People often give me funny looks when I casually say "I hate people"

Here's what the funny-look-givers don't know: 

I programmed this experiment for a prof and the software is super glitchy. I was looking through the data and noticed a glitch that would've invalidated maybe 5 runs (it costs them absolutely nothing to run this experiment). Not only do I not get thanked for picking up on this problem and heroically running to the lab to fix it (until 10PM last night, mind you), but I actually get cussed out by the prof who ACKNOWLEDGES THAT IT WAS A GLITCH (and subsequently not my fault).

/rant

/I hate everything

After that, you should have programmed it so that they they would have to deposit $500 into your account every time they wanted to run the experiment lol. 

After that, you should have programmed it so that they they would have to deposit $500 into your account every time they wanted to run the experiment lol. 

Haha oh man if only

Update: I received a poignant apology from the prof where it was acknowledged that the email may have "appeared rude" and that they "appreciate my work and hope that I'm not phased by the earlier message", followed by "soooo..... is my experiment ready or what" rofl

Anyone wanna move to mars with me? 

Have to vent about this somewhere, because I can't stop thinking about it and I'm running my brain in circles.

I'm about to have my first interview and I'm sitting here, looking at financial projections, and I have no sweet clue how I'm going to pay for med school. The details are unimportant, but I don't think things are looking terribly promising for the LOC and without that, I can't afford to attend Ontario schools. I'm seriously considering withdrawing my apps, because I don't want to waste thousands more on interviews if I won't be able to afford to attend the schools anyway. This may, however, just be pre-interview jitters.

Have to vent about this somewhere, because I can't stop thinking about it and I'm running my brain in circles.

I'm about to have my first interview and I'm sitting here, looking at financial projections, and I have no sweet clue how I'm going to pay for med school. The details are unimportant, but I don't think things are looking terribly promising for the LOC and without that, I can't afford to attend Ontario schools. I'm seriously considering withdrawing my apps, because I don't want to waste thousands more on interviews if I won't be able to afford to attend the schools anyway. This may, however, just be pre-interview jitters.

I know its hard to do, but I would try not to stress about it too much, just about every medical school that I have looked into has some sort of financial aid program to ensure no student has to decline for financial reasons. The banks are also quite eager to give out LOC's, so I would think that they could work out some sort of arrangement for you.

? you would have issues with the LOC? That would be extremely unusual - and there is almost always a way around that (those details probably are important :) )

Hard I know but put it out of your mind for the next bit! You are close to the goal so these other things can wait. As always available I am available for going over things.

Hang in there and don't withdraw your apps. From what I understand, you just need an acceptance letter and some evidence that you're alive in order to get a LOC. There are also some scholarships and bursaries available.

Without the LOC, I definitely wouldn't be able to afford it either. I'm sure that there are a lot of people in the same situation even though it seems that most "premeds" come from privileged backgrounds.

Good luck on your interview at Memorial! 

I'm a little nervous now that my first ever medical school interview is approaching. I know that's probably normal, and that I'm probably not the only one who's feeling this way, but it is difficult trying not to let the stress get to oneself.

In other news, my favourite Korean boy band is RUINED. Depressing. It's interesting to follow news from such a different culture, their internet culture and what they expect from their celebrities is so different from what I as a Canadian have grown up with. I had read up about their highly collectivistic culture, and as an immigrant from another country I had thought that i too knew what that was like, but it's really eye-opening to see it from a different culture that's not your own.

Have you talked to banks about these LOC issues?

Birdy, I'm still dealing with how to afford it, but it will work out. There are so, so many programs in place. I was denied an LOC from a bank earlier this year and after about a week of extreme stress was offered one from another bank, but the financial person at my school (not sure about others, but UBC has a dedicated med finances person) said not to worry. It's not easy, especially this year, but it will work out. She said to me that it WILL ALWAYS work out. Once you are in, they bend over backwards to support you, hard to believe right now, I know.

I know its hard to do, but I would try not to stress about it too much, just about every medical school that I have looked into has some sort of financial aid program to ensure no student has to decline for financial reasons. The banks are also quite eager to give out LOC's, so I would think that they could work out some sort of arrangement for you.

? you would have issues with the LOC? That would be extremely unusual - and there is almost always a way around that (those details probably are important :) )

Hard I know but put it out of your mind for the next bit! You are close to the goal so these other things can wait. As always available I am available for going over things.

Our financial situation has been tenuous at times in the recent past, and my credit score can only be optimistically defined as "not dead yet." I'm just sitting here, staring at how costly this whole process has been, realizing that the likelihood of significantly ameliorating that in the next six months, though I'm doing my best. Given how little access we have had to credit products over the years becaus of our limited means, it is hard to envision being approved for what amounts to an unsecured mortgage based on my future.

Hang in there and don't withdraw your apps. From what I understand, you just need an acceptance letter and some evidence that you're alive in order to get a LOC. There are also some scholarships and bursaries available.

Without the LOC, I definitely wouldn't be able to afford it either. I'm sure that there are a lot of people in the same situation even though it seems that most "premeds" come from privileged backgrounds.

Good luck on your interview at Memorial!

I'd say affording medical school In Canada is the least problematic or challenging issue these days.

For ppl aspiring to med school,i think affording undergrad is a far bigger worry and challenge.

I'm a little nervous now that my first ever medical school interview is approaching. I know that's probably normal, and that I'm probably not the only one who's feeling this way, but it is difficult trying not to let the stress get to oneself.

Have you talked to banks about these LOC issues?

In general terms, yes, and it wasn't terribly reassuring.

Birdy, I'm still dealing with how to afford it, but it will work out. There are so, so many programs in place. I was denied an LOC from a bank earlier this year and after about a week of extreme stress was offered one from another bank, but the financial person at my school (not sure about others, but UBC has a dedicated med finances person) said not to worry. It's not easy, especially this year, but it will work out. She said to me that it WILL ALWAYS work out. Once you are in, they bend over backwards to support you, hard to believe right now, I know.

The move alone will cost around $10k at the very least, since we have to move five people, not just one. Without the LOC, I'll have to leave my family behind for an undefined period, incur the extra expenses of a secondary home and travel to/from while losing my income (40% of our family income) and THAT is what I am panicking most about.

However, I am likely overthinking things completely and stressing myself out over nothing, because this is what I end up doing when I get nervous.

Thank you for the reassurance, everyone.

Aquaisra, I'll see you in St. John's shortly. :)

Archived