Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey the one I went to was in Vancouver, so they actually had a UBC med student give the talk. She was not very knowledgeable on med school admissions, but a lot of the talk was on the MCAT and what it's like to be a med student. The part about being in med school is interesting so looking back I would go just for that part. Gets me so excited to get in haha.

Crazy that the girl who gave the talk had a 99th percentile MCAT score. Got some reactions from the crowd when she told us. She was in the MD/PHD stream.

Wow just went to the thing and it was such a disappointment. They had a 4th year med student give current applicants advice, which was the first mistake. Most of his advice was either outdated or just wrong. He said that if you apply to med school multiple times it's frowned upon (Specifically, he said that after the 3rd time you will probably not even get past file review stage, lolwut). 

He also started talking about how amazing prep101 is compared to princeton and kaplan. Which is pretty funny when you see prep101 posters all around the room and the fact that it was organized by prep101.

PIzza was the best part. 

Just had an interview for another decently prestigious and harshly competitive program (which I won't go into details about, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and it made me realize something:

Even though my stats are "Med school bad" they're still amazing, and it was clear from my interview. They calculated my competitive GPA by letter (as opposed to the 4.0 scale) and I was, relatively, much higher and I got an interview offer almost immediately. Then, talking about my "mundane pre-med stuff" like teaching experience, hospital work or opening a youth centre, got quite the response out of the interviewer...made me feel like the greatest thing since sliced bread, which is in stark contrast to the med school process which makes me feel like a failure. I then realized I have done a lot, and accomplished a lot in my community. I'm the first person in my family to ever graduate highschool, let alone university, and I have three degrees, one at the masters level.

Makes me wonder how it would turn out if I did broaden the med school net a little bit to avoid a bit of the numbers game here. Unfortunately though, I just don't think I'm in a good enough financial/emotional situation to do so (too much tying me down!).

So my words to you are - you're still the cream of the crop, even if you're having a hard time getting in. Try to remember that as best you can.

To further echo that sentiment, this is what Dr. Walker wrote on the U of C blog:

There is this great expression that I once read that went something like this: “Do not compare yourself to others; it will only serve to make you simultaneously arrogant and insecure”.  If at the end of the day, you are an “average” member of a peer group (the MD applicants) who are amongst the brightest and most promising lights of their generation, is that really so bad?

I think we, including myself, sometimes lose perspective during this process. Rejection is often seen as a weakness in that individual, sadly. It's difficult to get yourself up every time (and I've only faced it once so far as a 3rd year applicant last year), but that's the reason I admire people who are applying for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time. Let's also not forget that an average applicant applies 2.7x before getting in. I might be slightly biased, but getting into a medical school in Canada (not US, UK, Australia, etc.) is probably one of the most challenging admission processes in academia. The number of amazing applicants is astounding, and hence, I am so pessimistic about my own chances. 

I truly wish you the best of luck in future! 

Wow just went to the thing and it was such a disappointment. They had a 4th year med student give current applicants advice, which was the first mistake. Most of his advice was either outdated or just wrong. He said that if you apply to med school multiple times it's frowned upon (Specifically, he said that after the 3rd time you will probably not even get past file review stage, lolwut). 

He also started talking about how amazing prep101 is compared to princeton and kaplan. Which is pretty funny when you see prep101 posters all around the room and the fact that it was organized by prep101.

PIzza was the best part. 

LOL

Went to a premed event hosted by prep101 called conversation with a med student. Unfortunately, this med student was outright wrong on a few issues. Kind of a big deal to that person who takes her word for it and doesn't do her own research on the topic - completely misleading.

At least there was free pizza.

that is the problem I have with some of those - actually it is why I give talks at medical schools as well. I don't have to hold anything back to try and get people to buy something after :)

Hoping to do one at Guelph next week actually! ha, back to me first university.

School is cancelled tomorrow for the ninth day this semester. They've already extended the semester by four teaching days to help make up for it - something they haven't done in decades, apparently - but they can't push it any further. This is our fourth blizzard this winter.

School is cancelled tomorrow for the ninth day this semester. They've already extended the semester by four teaching days to help make up for it - something they haven't done in decades, apparently - but they can't push it any further. This is our fourth blizzard this winter.

Crazy - that is a lot of snow!

Crazy - that is a lot of snow!

Yup. We'd had 3m of total accumulation (seriously) as of the start of February. We've had another 1.5 meters since then, including 86cm during one storm that pretty much shut down the province for four days, and another 40cm over the last 18 hours.

Maritime winters... yeesh.

Yup. We'd had 3m of total accumulation (seriously) as of the start of February. We've had another 1.5 meters since then, including 86cm during one storm that pretty much shut down the province for four days, and another 40cm over the last 18 hours.

Maritime winters... yeesh.

yeah......amazing you get anything done at all.

ha, how did people live there before we had modern housing. I mean you would need to have a pretty tall house just not to be completely buried.

yeah......amazing you get anything done at all.

ha, how did people live there before we had modern housing. I mean you would need to have a pretty tall house just not to be completely buried.

Snowshoes, in their various incarnations, were important for getting around I'm sure. Friend of mine actually used snowshoes to get to school for several days because the sidewalks were under 3 feet of snow. Safer than walking on the roads.

My dad has told me of winters at the farm where they'd slide out of the second storey windows to get out some winters. Smetimes, all you can do is just dig out. I know several people who have had to.

Means that you simply just must have a second storey house? Those wouldn't be easy to build 150 years ago(?)

Nope, it wasn't, though we do have plenty of 150+ year old buildings here that are two storeys. My family has lived on the same spot since 1775, and the original houses were all single storey. You just do what is necessary and either surround the house with trees so there's a buffer zone or you learn to dig your way out when it gets bad. People are good at adapting.

slightly................ (after deleting 350 posts this am).

Wasn't the upgrade supposed to address the ability of bots to sign up? Or are these just better bots?

The speed at which the posts are popping up makes me doubt its an actual person.

Wasn't the upgrade supposed to address the ability of bots to sign up? Or are these just better bots?

The speed at which the posts are popping up makes me doubt its an actual person.

Imagine it was an actual person, sitting in a desk making accounts to post that stuff.

Kind of funny.

Archived