Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the most first world problem ever:

Having a (paid!) research job in the summer and not being able to quit. Really wasn't expecting to get into medical school this year so applied for NSERC USRA to get a taste of research but by accepting it, I'm now commited to working in the lab full time. Would've really loved to have a summer to go travel since there hasn't been an opportunity to do so at all in uni. Honestly, the only reason why I was considering going to uOttawa was because they have summers.

Hoping that 3 more straight years of school at Mac won't burn me out :?

ha, that is a mixed blessing :)

You will still get a bit of time off at Mac, and prior to residency.

And why on Earth does no one in Saint John advertise apartments more than 1-2 months before the move-in date?  :confused:

Doesn't happen anywhere, generally. Most landlords only require 6-8 weeks notice so most people won't list until then. 

Trust me-NB apartment searching is nothing to worry about. As a fellow east coaster currently searching for a downtown Toronto place......I am wishing that it was as easy as finding places out east!! 

Doesn't happen anywhere, generally. Most landlords only require 6-8 weeks notice so most people won't list until then. 

Trust me-NB apartment searching is nothing to worry about. As a fellow east coaster currently searching for a downtown Toronto place......I am wishing that it was as easy as finding places out east!! 

always has that leap of faith feel - you give up place A in the hopes you can find a place B.....but what if you don't, ha.

always has that leap of faith feel - you give up place A in the hopes you can find a place B.....but what if you don't, ha.

Yep, that's my fear right now! I've never heard of a rental market that changes so much on a daily basis....out east you have days, even weeks, to decide

I think I'm in for a bit of culture shock :P

Yep, that's my fear right now! I've never heard of a rental market that changes so much on a daily basis....out east you have days, even weeks, to decide

I think I'm in for a bit of culture shock :P

just remember in TO that perfection is the enemy of good :) Some times you just have to move on things quickly.

Took my mother to an ENT today to get some things checked out (had some tests done and there was a possibility of cancer), and the ENT essentially gave her a clean bill of health. The physician also turned out to be an alumni from the school I'll be attending in September, which generated some interesting discussion. :) 

Took my mother to an ENT today to get some things checked out (had some tests done and there was a possibility of cancer), and the ENT essentially gave her a clean bill of health. The physician also turned out to be an alumni from the school I'll be attending in September, which generated some interesting discussion. :)

Glad to hear your mother got a clean bill of health.

As to meeting people who attended your school... I'm only in first year and this happens a lot. Obviously because I'm in Hamilton there's lots of Mac grads, but I met one back in PEI before I came here. Just today I was seen by a resident who knows my tutor. One of the doctors who helped set up one of the residency program sites I want to apply to was locuming for my family doctor a while ago. Medicine's a small world....

Glad to hear your mother got a clean bill of health.

As to meeting people who attended your school... I'm only in first year and this happens a lot. Obviously because I'm in Hamilton there's lots of Mac grads, but I met one back in PEI before I came here. Just today I was seen by a resident who knows my tutor. One of the doctors who helped set up one of the residency program sites I want to apply to was locuming for my family doctor a while ago. Medicine's a small world....

very small :)

• 2 weeks later...

Two high profile shootings in as many days in Orlando.  

This is among one of the many reasons I would never want to live in the states

Really sucks having grown up there! It's amazing that FB has a feature where your friends can mark themselves as safe and it sounds out the notifications to others. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say Europe is more dangerous than the US now. Plus the Orlando shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS. That's a reflection of terrorism not the US.

Not to be "that person" but seeing as the shooter bragged about connections to multiple (opposing) terrorist groups, I think it's important to consider the probability that he pledged allegiance to ISIS for added notoriety following the shooting. Homophobia (internalized or otherwise) was a pretty obvious motivating factor in the shooting, and honestly until the US figures out how to implement gun control I'm hardly inclined to visit, let alone live there. Just my take  :)

Yeah could be.

I feel pretty safe when I go to the U.S. though. Although I don't go to places like Detroit or anything like that. Mostly have just been staying within the Pacific Northwest. I'm making my first trip to the east coast in September though. Yet I personally wouldn't feel safe in Europe. And i just think people in the US are much much friendlier than in Canada.

Yeah could be.

I feel pretty safe when I go to the U.S. though. Although I don't go to places like Detroit or anything like that. Mostly have just been staying within the Pacific Northwest. I'm making my first trip to the east coast in September though. Yet I personally wouldn't feel safe in Europe. And i just think people in the US are much much friendlier than in Canada.

Haha damn, really? I find people from the east coast of Canada extremely friendly in general, but then I'm from here so I'm a little biased ;)

maybe the east coast is friendlier than the west in Canada. But in terms of the US Pacific Northwest vs BC I find the US more friendlier. I mean the vibe in Seattle is so much different than in Vancouver. Same with my trips to California. It's a totally different feel. I've only been to Toronto once but it kind of seemed like Vancouver (both of which aren't as vibrant as US cities), although I probably wasn't there long enough to know for sure just yet.

Speaking of this, what is everyone's travel plans this summer and fall? Or for some on a budget, where would you like to go once you're finished school? For me, my next trip is likely taking the Amtrak Cascades train from Vancouver to San Francisco. The reviews are exceptional and I think the scenery through the Pacific Northwest would be incredible. My hunch is that it is one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Tickets are affordable as well. Looking forward to it.

Stressing hoping that my line of credit comes through or I won't be able to start at Mac as planned in September.

Haven't told my job yet for this reason, and my employment contract requires 4 weeks notice.  It's getting down to the wire...

why are you having issues with that? Usually that is solved - haven't had anyone yet not be able to start on time.

Archived