Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting - he is still denying things. Haven't looked into the evidence, but the college seems to things they have a lot (facebook postings, messages, recorded conversations, key witness......). 

abuse of power. Not sure what the punishment here should be. They college decided 3mos and 130K fine plus the standard rather public rebuke. Next step likely would be the hospital he works at revoking his ability to practice there (I mean why would you keep that person on staff after that - if for no other reason than pure practicality.)

I always wonder if there are grounds for a criminal charge with this sort of stuff. 

Unfortunately not, this is an ethical violation inolving abuse of power. Technically, adults of the age of consent cannot bring a criminal complaints, although theoretically at least, there can be a claim for civil damages (ehich would be costly in terms of legal fees with an uncertain outcome).

Unfortunately not, this is an ethical violation inolving abuse of power. Technically, adults of the age of consent cannont bring a criminal complaints, although theoretically at least, there can be a claim for civil damages (ehich would be costly in terms of legal fees with an uncertain outcome).

Except that the woman in question is also denying that he affair occurred.

So yes, ethically and morally reprehensible. But not criminal, it seems.

Except that the woman in question is also denying that he affair occurred.

So yes, ethically and morally reprehensible. But not criminal, it seems.

ok but......there is the issue of consent even here. As an extreme example if someone holds a gun to your head then you are not exactly consenting. In this case we don't know all the details but if the person who holds your child's life in his/her hands starts making advances it is reasonable to believe that there is a form of coercion here? Would you feel you would get better care for your child if you go along? Is there an implied threat if you don't? Ok, now we all know the system well to say that may not make sense overall but what about this particular case - young mother, doesn't have our level of education/training, scary situation..... 

If there isn't effectively consent we are going down very dark waters. At some point I would say yeah we have crossed the line from "mere" ethics into actual criminal behaviour. 

ok but......there is the issue of consent even here. As an extreme example if someone holds a gun to your head then you are not exactly consenting. In this case we don't know all the details but if the person who holds your child's life in his/her hands starts making advances it is reasonable to believe that there is a form of coercion here? Would you feel you would get better care for your child if you go along? Is there an implied threat if you don't? Ok, now we all know the system well to say that may not make sense overall but what about this particular case - young mother, doesn't have our level of education/training, scary situation.....

If there isn't effectively consent we are going down very dark waters. At some point I would say yeah we have crossed the line from "mere" ethics into actual criminal behaviour.

Fair enough.

• 1 month later...

In an ideal system you would take as long as you needed to do the best you can. Alas, time is money in this world. You've gotta do consistently very well all while getting faster - because ideally you are not maintaining a certain level of service, but increasing it. This is not even considering the infinite budget cuts and trimmings that make doing well in a timely manner harder and harder.

Cardio module final is on Thursday. This is the first module of the three we've had thus far (Heme, Resp, and now cardio) that I'm genuinely excited to learn about - I think I found my future specialty! Still very nervous, though

Cardio was a fantastic block for us! Even though I loved it, it actually made me rule out cardio for some reason! Best of luck on your final and try not to piss off too many cardiac surgeons along the way :P

Archived