Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

On 2017-08-21 at 9:38 AM, DentalFoodie said:

I think I don't know how to have fun anymore... like spending time with friends etc is enjoyable but I don't know... I can't think of things to do that I enjoy? 

(I could also just be super burnt out but I can't even enjoy the thought of a vacation. It just seems like more work...)

Fun? What is fun, lol? R & R is very important, even mini-vacations, so you can just enjoy a change of pace. Try it, you'll like it!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bambi said:

Fun? What is fun, lol? R & R is very important, even mini-vacations, so you can just enjoy a change of pace. Try it, you'll like it!

+1. The best thing that happened to me was when I stopped thinking of vacations as a one to two week ordeal and started booking mini-vacations like two nights in Whistler or Harrison Hot Springs. I somehow feel so much more rested and rejuvenated after a weekend away than I do at home.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cerena said:

It really does, doesn't it? :P

Yes. Then, the perseverance, dedication, continuous hard work, staying positive and motivated in spite of the many setbacks we face, having a Plan and executing it, being adaptable as we each follow our path.

An excellent example of flexibility is CaRMS where I applied to 3 distinct fields, feeling confident I could be happy in a career path in any of these fields. Naturally, I had to give my 1st, 2nd & 3rd choices, but in reality I would have been happy with any of the 3. My entire future career became dependent upon this match. I was accepted into my so-called 2nd choice, a surgical specialty which allow for sub specialties as I progress. I think I decided not to do a fellowship (assuming I find a job immediately from completing my 5th year of residency), however, I will adapt to whatever the circumstances are at the time. :P

For sure, my dream is coming true, as I expect yours is too!

On 9/5/2017 at 0:52 PM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

+1. The best thing that happened to me was when I stopped thinking of vacations as a one to two week ordeal and started booking mini-vacations like two nights in Whistler or Harrison Hot Springs. I somehow feel so much more rested and rejuvenated after a weekend away than I do at home.

I love this <3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-10-20 at 7:31 AM, rmorelan said:

hey congrats - hope it works out!

This stuff is so dynamic. A lot of it is out of my control. Looking forward to the end of this semester to see what’s out there for a summer start term. Funding is such a huge restriction of course but the summer is a long ways away so I’ll see. But the lesson was it was great for me to network at events! Thanks for the kind words though! 

On 10/19/2017 at 9:29 AM, rmorelan said:

so much waiting - it is never easy 

I think keeping one busy does help with getting through the weeks :D. Although I've been surfing the sdn forums much more often...I must say as a pre-med it is very hard to stay away from the discussion boards. 

On a side note, the pm101 discussions definitely are much more civil while those on the US forums like sdn can get quite "intense".

53 minutes ago, iFlayx said:

I think keeping one busy does help with getting through the weeks :D. Although I've been surfing the sdn forums much more often...I must say as a pre-med it is very hard to stay away from the discussion boards. 

On a side note, the pm101 discussions definitely are much more civil while those on the US forums like sdn can get quite "intense".

ha yes they can - larger audience perhaps is more likely to get those few people that can be "disruptive"?

Plus there are limits to how much we will tolerated such behaviour here :)

SDN is really no holds barred. But there’s some civil subforums I check out. If you’re a non trad they have one or two suited towards you. 

On a side note, I heard being a pharmacist is tough because it breaks your heart when patients can’t pay for their medicine. Does this happen frequently? Was just curious about the experiences of others on this. 

I think in general that is big problem in the US, and occasionally here in Canada for select things. I don't think I will have to deal with it as I am doing emergency radiology which is shielded from that sort of thing but it is odd to me having that as a factor to even consider. 

6 hours ago, canucks_14 said:

SDN is really no holds barred. But there’s some civil subforums I check out. If you’re a non trad they have one or two suited towards you. 

On a side note, I heard being a pharmacist is tough because it breaks your heart when patients can’t pay for their medicine. Does this happen frequently? Was just curious about the experiences of others on this. 

ha, yeah it is a bit more rough and tumble - I wonder if it is because it is a paid site in part, or just the volume. 

8 hours ago, rmorelan said:

I think in general that is big problem in the US, and occasionally here in Canada for select things. I don't think I will have to deal with it as I am doing emergency radiology which is shielded from that sort of thing but it is odd to me having that as a factor to even consider. 

Congrats on emergency radiology!  So admirable (emergency roles are so intriguing to me. It’s part of what lures me to apply to all of medicine in the first place). 

Yeah occasionaly seems likely. I just have friends in a central province though, and as pharmacists they said it was quite often in their locale. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Mithril said:

Didn't realize yearly college license renewal and CMA fees would cost me $3000. <_<

wonderful - something to look forward too ha :)

I have always found that there is a quite a large number of people with their hand out in this business - both within medicine and those that circle around it. If you look at the revenue you have to also look at the expenses, ha. 

Happy new year! wow 2018. For me this is my final year of residency as scary as that sounds (I am supposed to know something it would appear). Probably won't be on here nearly as much for the next 6 months as my cohort goes into full study mode (eat, sleep, study), but I hope everyone has a great start to the year!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived